The Student Room Group

Msc OT with unrelated degree

Hi all,
I finished my degree this summer in an unrelated subject (high 2:2 in computer animation arts) and I am looking into OT as a future career as I think it would suit me far better. Im really worried about getting on the course given the lack of relevancy of my degree, so any success stories of people who have done OT with an unrelated degree would be great :smile:

My main question is how have people with unrelated degree's found their masters courses in terms of difficulty? (im hoping to get into Essex as its local and the only one I could really afford!)

Also how did you manage to relate your unrelated degree to OT? and how much work experience did you have when you applied to your masters?

Im trying to work out how much I need to stand a decent chance of getting on a course, I know volunteering is also a good idea however I currently have a job to save up for living costs so that could be a problem. Currently I have had one day in a hospice OT setting, and two withing learning disabilities, and I have interviewed two OT's. Im also trying to contact my local hospital to get a day or two and a local autistic school.

Thanks
OT? sorry.
Sorry OT means occupational therapy :smile:
Thanks, the access course if the one im looking at for Essex as the msc you posted is for qualified therapists, I might apply to Cardiff too as a backup if I can get some more money :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by ShadowyPrincess
Thanks, the access course if the one im looking at for Essex as the msc you posted is for qualified therapists, I might apply to Cardiff too as a backup if I can get some more money :smile:

That's what I mean, I'd have guessed you need to do an access course at Essex first too, rather than getting straight on the MSc.

I'd suggest to apply to Cardiff anyway, you then can use your offer when applying for external funding.
Hi,
I managed to get onto an OT MSc with an unrelated degree (2:2 in foreign languages). I did have some shadowing experience which favoured my application (including working for 6 months in a Hospice). The jump from a BA to an MSc is HARD work. I would strongly recommend that you prepare sufficiently for your OT masters by reading around as much as possible before starting. I was extremely lucky to get onto my Masters. A lot of people on my course have science-related degrees and previous jobs in health and social care. They must have seen something in my application that they really liked. To summarise, yes you can do it but please learn from my mistakes and make sure you go in with the best possible skills set.
Good luck!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending