The Student Room Group

Am I overreacting about girlfriend at uni

I recently started seeing a girl and things were going great; we got on so well and were seeing each other all time time, i'd been introduced to her family, she was introduced to mine, we each said we'd never felt like this about anyone else before.

She suffers from depression and used to have an eating disorder so has many issues such as anxiety and low self esteem, which while does not bother me in the slightest, might have something to do with how she is acting so i feel it's important to say.

Anyway, she recently started uni, whereas I just finished uni, and ever since then things have started to change. Oh and also we agreed to be exclusive before she went and made me promise not to "abandon her" even though thats what i feel is exactly what she is doing to me. We barely ever message anymore, the longest we've spoke properly is for 5 minutes without her having to go do something or go sleep or whatever, and messages throughout the day are intermittent at best. She always just says she's too busy to talk yet she manages to 'read' my messages quickly and then proceed to become 'active' (we use facebook messenger) throughout the day. This is giving me such doubt that she actually likes me as I know if I was in to someone I would message them at any opportunity I could get and I would find the time to talk to them, she just doesn't seem bothered. And also when we do talk she seems really disinterested and it's normally me asking lots of questions and her giving short, sharp replies.

Whenever I've tried to talk to her about the face we never talk anymore she just dismisses it and say she is busy and that i'm pressuring her into talking to me and not her uni friends. I just don't buy that thats the truth. Surely she would be able to find 15 seconds to reply to me? I know she replies to people when I'm with her, why can't she do it to me? It's not as if it's hard to be with people and answer messages from the person you're supposedly with more than once every 6 hours.

Despite all this she tells me she loves me and misses me and wants to see me. Her actions don't match to her words and it's driving me crazy. I'm off work this week and I have literally nothing to do apart from think and think some more, check her facebook, come up with scenarios as to why she's seemingly ignoring me and I don't think I can take it much longer. I love her lots, and I thought we had something special

This is more of a getting things off my chest post, but i'd be glad of any interpretations of the situation or any advice how to solve it. Thanks
Original post by plugman
I recently started seeing a girl and things were going great; we got on so well and were seeing each other all time time, i'd been introduced to her family, she was introduced to mine, we each said we'd never felt like this about anyone else before.

She suffers from depression and used to have an eating disorder so has many issues such as anxiety and low self esteem, which while does not bother me in the slightest, might have something to do with how she is acting so i feel it's important to say.

Anyway, she recently started uni, whereas I just finished uni, and ever since then things have started to change. Oh and also we agreed to be exclusive before she went and made me promise not to "abandon her" even though thats what i feel is exactly what she is doing to me. We barely ever message anymore, the longest we've spoke properly is for 5 minutes without her having to go do something or go sleep or whatever, and messages throughout the day are intermittent at best. She always just says she's too busy to talk yet she manages to 'read' my messages quickly and then proceed to become 'active' (we use facebook messenger) throughout the day. This is giving me such doubt that she actually likes me as I know if I was in to someone I would message them at any opportunity I could get and I would find the time to talk to them, she just doesn't seem bothered. And also when we do talk she seems really disinterested and it's normally me asking lots of questions and her giving short, sharp replies.

Whenever I've tried to talk to her about the face we never talk anymore she just dismisses it and say she is busy and that i'm pressuring her into talking to me and not her uni friends. I just don't buy that thats the truth. Surely she would be able to find 15 seconds to reply to me? I know she replies to people when I'm with her, why can't she do it to me? It's not as if it's hard to be with people and answer messages from the person you're supposedly with more than once every 6 hours.

Despite all this she tells me she loves me and misses me and wants to see me. Her actions don't match to her words and it's driving me crazy. I'm off work this week and I have literally nothing to do apart from think and think some more, check her facebook, come up with scenarios as to why she's seemingly ignoring me and I don't think I can take it much longer. I love her lots, and I thought we had something special

This is more of a getting things off my chest post, but i'd be glad of any interpretations of the situation or any advice how to solve it. Thanks

How long have you been going out? It doesn't sound long at all.

Secondly, who's fault is it you have nothing to do for the week you have off? Where are your friends? Where are your hobbies?

Thirdly and most importantly, if despite all her protests your assessment and gut feelings suggest she's checked out, then that is a valid conclusion to work off of.

You're not obliged to be with someone who you're frankly barely with anyway.

Are you with her because you genuinely have feelings for her or is it just because it's a force of habit and you're not sure of being alone for a little bit or confident in your ability to find someone else?

Also no offence but meeting each other's families means nothing. For one person meeting families might be practically the biggest deal ever, while for another it's just a 'thing' that happens.

Basically if the situation isn't working out for you and she isn't changing then free yourself.
It sounds like you guys just started dating and you're already in a long distance relationship. Also starting university you're meeting all sorts of new people and going out and trying to find friends, it's a busy time, and it's hard to be in a relationship while you're trying to adjust.

I don't know if you have ever heard of the term turkey dump, we have it in Canada and the States. It's when people who try to be in a relationship when they are just starting university usually end up breaking up with their significant other around Thanksgiving, it sounds like that might be happening to you (thanksgiving is this weekend).
Reply 3
We've been going out properly for about three weeks. I know this isn't a long time, but everything just felt so right.

As for her university, she's only 20 minutes away from me so that isn't an issue. I'm going to see her later today so I'm planning on bringing all my thoughts up and then seeing what she has to say and working from there...
Reply 4
Original post by plugman

Don't let her hold you back, that's all I'm saying.
Reply 5
Original post by plugman
We've been going out properly for about three weeks. I know this isn't a long time, but everything just felt so right.

As for her university, she's only 20 minutes away from me so that isn't an issue. I'm going to see her later today so I'm planning on bringing all my thoughts up and then seeing what she has to say and working from there...

University takes up a surprising amount of time, you can't always text back the moment you see the text, if you check a facebook message it doesn't always auto log you out when you close it so you appear to be active when you're not....

TL: DR - 3 weeks isn't long enough to be acting like a crazy stalker, let her enjoy uni.
Just give her time to settle in. Why not set like a specific date night to see each other? Meet her friends too, it may help you feel more included. But she is probably just busy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending