The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
My computer never failed at all when I arrived at Durham. Everyone else's seemed to be creaking under the weight of new download demands. *shrug*. Maybe it's cause I have a mac = special! :biggrin:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 21
Special in the bad way.
Reply 22
If they make me install Norton I shall throw a fit. I would rather have my PC defended by a wet flannel than that resource hogging expensive dump. The only thing worse is McAffee.

I have NOD32 which is proven the best anti-virus solution in the world, and the free Sygate firewall, which you can no longer download because Symantec bought the company and stuck it into Norton.
Reply 23
If the mac requirements are anything to go by, the rely more on a well-updated OS than an enfored third-party :smile:
Shmerm, why not just use a radio? I'm sure you won't miss the football, what with all the amazing new friends you'll be making anyway.
Reply 25
I like pest patrol
Reply 26
Mattmoy_2000
Shmerm, why not just use a radio? I'm sure you won't miss the football, what with all the amazing new friends you'll be making anyway.

Well the game I want to listen to is between Torquay and Notts County (I'm a Notts fan) which won't be on any radio signal you can get in Durham! Hopefully I'll be busy making friends though.
Shmerm
(I'm a Notts fan)

:frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:
Reply 28
goldenbarnes
:frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:

I second that motion. God damn Notts County :frown:
Never mind, just get your parents to text you updates when someone scores.
Shmerm
Well the game I want to listen to is between Torquay and Notts County (I'm a Notts fan) which won't be on any radio signal you can get in Durham! Hopefully I'll be busy making friends though.

Yeah, well no-one wants to be friends with a Notts County fan anyway...

:frown: :frown: :frown:
Reply 31
SHUT UP :p: we beat Middlesbrough! Middlesbrough beat Chelsea... which means we are the best team in the country (so I like to think...:biggrin: )

Anyway what's wrong with supportin Notts?
Reply 32
Mattmoy_2000
Never mind, just get your parents to text you updates when someone scores.

my parents can't text

but you know what, thats irrelevant because i dont like footie! :rolleyes:
Shmerm

Anyway what's wrong with supportin Notts?

Shmerm
we beat Middlesbrough!

Personally I think it's pretty self-explanatory...
Reply 34
back to the topic...

It says my laptop fails but then doesn't tell me why. It comes to a page beginning:
"Apache Tomcat/4.0.4 - HTTP Status 500 - Internal Server Error"

then the rest of the page doesn't give any clues.

I would be able to post a screenshot later... but is anyone able to tell me why this appears? Or is there anything I can download that should work?
Shmerm
back to the topic...

It says my laptop fails but then doesn't tell me why. It comes to a page beginning:
"Apache Tomcat/4.0.4 - HTTP Status 500 - Internal Server Error"

then the rest of the page doesn't give any clues.

I would be able to post a screenshot later... but is anyone able to tell me why this appears? Or is there anything I can download that should work?

I think if you just wait till you're there, the Durham server will give you anything you'll need to get it to work, like security updates or virus checking software when you plug in and it runs the check. Patience is a virtue.:smile:
Reply 36
Okay, thanks for the help. I hope everything is okay... I wouldn't be able to cope without TSR and MSN :frown:
Reply 37
Shmerm
Okay, thanks for the help. I hope everything is okay... I wouldn't be able to cope without TSR and MSN :frown:

I spent most of the run up to uni on the internet but managed to cope fine without it for the first month. It's surprising how quickly you forget about things like computers, games, tv etc.
Reply 38
aye, with the age old remedy of alcohol :rolleyes:
Reply 39
i forgot about tv completely it was a bit weird

Latest