The Student Room Group

Want to drop an AS Level?

Hi everyone!

I'm half a term into studying my AS levels (Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Psychology) and a really struggling - especially with chemistry. I want to drop chemistry because it is making me extremely stressed and unhappy, and my other subjects are suffering because of it.

My question is - is it ok to study only 3 AS levels? I'd continue all three of them onto A2, but I am worried that universities won't accept me if I do not have another AS level. I'd really appreciate it if anyone has any advice.

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Soph98
Hi everyone!

I'm half a term into studying my AS levels (Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Psychology) and a really struggling - especially with chemistry. I want to drop chemistry because it is making me extremely stressed and unhappy, and my other subjects are suffering because of it.

My question is - is it ok to study only 3 AS levels? I'd continue all three of them onto A2, but I am worried that universities won't accept me if I do not have another AS level. I'd really appreciate it if anyone has any advice.

Thank you :smile:

It should be fine for most universities, although it might raise questions at some more competitive institutions. There are, however, some places like UCL that require a 4th AS. So if you don't need chemistry for what you want to study at university, you've consulted with your teachers (please do this) and you're doing this as an absolute last resort then yes, you probably could get away with dropping it.
Reply 2
Original post by Chlorophile
It should be fine for most universities, although it might raise questions at some more competitive institutions. There are, however, some places like UCL that require a 4th AS. So if you don't need chemistry for what you want to study at university, you've consulted with your teachers (please do this) and you're doing this as an absolute last resort then yes, you probably could get away with dropping it.

Thank you, this is really helpful advice. I will be speaking with my teacher tomorrow to see what my options are :smile:
Original post by Chlorophile

I agree

Quick Reply

Latest