The Student Room Group

Edinburgh College.

Does anyone know anything about Edinburgh College? I'm an international student looking to apply there for a foundation year. I've never been to Scotland, but I'm excited about the possibly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It doesn’t sound like a foundation year at all, it says "students will study 4/5 subjects and take examinations called Highers that are set by the Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA)". So essentially international students take the Scottish version of high school qualifications. Totally not worth the money. I would stick to looking at foundation years offered by universities where there is a clear progression onto a degree.
Original post by Samual
It doesn’t sound like a foundation year at all, it says "students will study 4/5 subjects and take examinations called Highers that are set by the Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA)". So essentially international students take the Scottish version of high school qualifications. Totally not worth the money. I would stick to looking at foundation years offered by universities where there is a clear progression onto a degree.

Thanks. Yeah. I think it might be a back up option. They do mention progressing to universities, but only in Scotland. I'm not 100% sold on a year doing that placement bit and then four more at uni.
Original post by Coffeetime
Thanks. Yeah. I think it might be a back up option. They do mention progressing to universities, but only in Scotland. I'm not 100% sold on a year doing that placement bit and then four more at uni.

Yup, five years is a long time. The problem with this 'foundation year' is that it isn't at a university which means there is no degree for you to move onto. You have to apply elsewhere and there is no guarantee other unis would take you, and if they did, they could set very high conditions which you might not achieve.
Original post by Samual
Yup, five years is a long time. The problem with this 'foundation year' is that it isn't at a university which means there is no degree for you to move onto. You have to apply elsewhere and there is no guarantee other unis would take you, and if they did, they could set very high conditions which you might not achieve.

I've found a couple that I'm interested in that are at universities offering my course. One is Reading, which I've applied to anyway. I got in touch with them and they advised me to send some transcripts and to ask them to consider me for a foundation year. Then I could continue on at the university. I'm not concerned with high conditions in the future, but with getting the education. I found a college that offers the international foundation year as well, so I'm waiting to hear from them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Coffeetime
I've found a couple that I'm interested in that are at universities offering my course. One is Reading, which I've applied to anyway. I got in touch with them and they advised me to send some transcripts and to ask them to consider me for a foundation year. Then I could continue on at the university. I'm not concerned with high conditions in the future, but with getting the education. I found a college that offers the international foundation year as well, so I'm waiting to hear from them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck! :party2:
Original post by Samual
Good luck! :party2:

Thank you! It's a bit stressful, but I'm sure it will work out in the end.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest