The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

University of Edinburgh Accommodation Thread for Entry 2015/16

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DanielleDx
To anyone that hasn't already applied for accommodation, I definitely would not recommend Kincaid's Court, I live there at the moment and although the location is fantastic in terms of getting to classes, College Wynd is less noisy. In Block 1 the security gate is ridiculously noisy and is slammed at all hours of the night, not to mention that there are drunks screaming at eachother outside the window every night without fail, and a group of people who seem to think that it's hilarious to tip over a huge communal bin into the road every other day (so large it takes four of them to tip it). So if you want to get any sleep, go for College Wynd or Robertson's close, they're still super close (in fact College Wynd is just accross the road), and it's a lot quieter. Also, the flats aren't too nice and the kitchen fascilities are awful. Our fridge is missing two of the drawers in the door, the oven doesn't work properly, and food at the back of the fridge gets frozen and at the front of the fridge spoils quickly, as it's not cool enough. They won't replace any of these things. All in all, the five person flats can be pretty awful. Would not recommend - every other flat I've been in in different accommodations seems a lot more comfortable than Kincaid's. Also, and I can't stress this enough - but a mattress protector. When I moved in my mattress was covered in horrible browny-yellow stains.

I've heard that College Wynd and Robertson's Close are noisy as well because they are on Cowgate and are popular with "social types"?
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by Okorange
I've heard that College Wynd and Robertson's Close are noisy as well because they are on Cowgate and are popular with "social types"?

They're both on the Cowgate and I chose them for distance, they're still noisy but not quite as bad, Kincaid's Court was voted the 'BNP' of Edinburgh Uni Halls. The other two are also better quality of housing.
They're both on the Cowgate and I chose them for distance, they're still noisy but not quite as bad, Kincaid's Court was voted the 'BNP' of Edinburgh Uni Halls. The other two are also better quality of housing.

What does BNP stand for?
What does BNP stand for?

It's a negative thing, it's the British National Party, who are a bit of a joke of a party, they're racist, homophobic and just generally awful. So essentially it's the worst rating a halls can get, when judged on a scale of political parties.
It's a negative thing, it's the British National Party, who are a bit of a joke of a party, they're racist, homophobic and just generally awful. So essentially it's the worst rating a halls can get, when judged on a scale of political parties.

Oh yeah that was what I was thinking, the British National Party but I just couldn't understand how a hall could be voted after a right wing nationalist party. But I can see what you mean haha. I've selected different halls, hopefully they are quieter. Do you know anything about Deaconess, Meadow's Court (Large) and South Clerk Street?

Are they more quiet, do you know anything about their reputations for cleanliness and facilities? I'm guessing Deaconess is going to be pretty good since its new right?
(edited 8 years ago)
Oh yeah that was what I was thinking, the British National Party but I just couldn't understand how a hall could be voted after a right wing nationalist party.

It was an article in a student paper. They compared halls to political parties, and Kincaid's is the proud winner of the title BNP.
Oh yeah that was what I was thinking, the British National Party but I just couldn't understand how a hall could be voted after a right wing nationalist party. But I can see what you mean haha. I've selected different halls, hopefully they are quieter. Do you know anything about Deaconess, Meadow's Court (Large) and South Clerk Street?

Are they more quiet, do you know anything about their reputations for cleanliness and facilities? I'm guessing Deaconess is going to be pretty good since its new right?

Meadow Court is really nice, quiet and about 5 minutes from the university, South Clerk Street may be a bit noiser because it's on the main street, but not as noisy as a user described Kincaids, and Deconess is really new and shiney but a bit too expensive tbh.

I'm not sure about Meadow's court, but I've heard that South Clerk Street and Deaconess are lovely. I have a friend from tutorials that lived in South Clerk Street and she said that it was fantastic. And I've heard only good things about Deaconess. The other down side of the Cowgate is that there's a real problem with rats and mice, and the accommodation services don't do anything about it. They just come in and tell you to keep your food on high shelves, as though we don't already. Deaconess is supposed to be absolutely lovely, the only reason I didn't put it down was because it was in the process of being built when I applied, and there were no pictures and not much of an indication as to what it was going to be like, but it's certainly a lovely place (if slightly more expensive than the ones I was initially looking at!)
Reply 388
I would recommend all 3, Meadow Court has the advantage of a TV and own washing machines in your flat (one of the very few places that do, and you'd come to appreciate it). SCS is nice, Deaconess is absolutely lovely and yes, more expensive - but it also has a common room, ensuite and a TV in your flat.
I had the "pleasure" of living in College Wynd one summer, and Kincaid's Court overnight - avoid if you can.
Reply 389
I've recently applied for Robertsons close, sciennes and blackfriars, does anyone live in any of these now and can tell me if they're awful or not? I pretty much chose for price and location.
Reply 390
How many weeks do you pay for? I heard 38 somewhere but just want to double check
Reply 391
Original post by yesaye
I've recently applied for Robertsons close, sciennes and blackfriars, does anyone live in any of these now and can tell me if they're awful or not? I pretty much chose for price and location.

I'm currently living in Sciennes (RA). Lovely quiet location but very close to uni (7 min walk to central, 25 min walk to KB, also 3 min walk to the KB shuttle bus stop). It's great because you get a Common Room (with a TV, table tennis table (which the party people managed to break last night lol but it'll be fixed), pool table, books DVDs games etc), there are 200 residents so you'll get to know a bunch of people. Rooms are the same basic uni rooms in both Sciennes and Robbie's Close, both have a common room but RC is right on Cowgate so if you get a room facing the street it'll be very noisy.
I don't know anything about Blackfriars.

Original post by smelon
How many weeks do you pay for? I heard 38 somewhere but just want to double check

This year rent runs from Saturday 6th September to Saturday May 29th - so yes, 38 weeks.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hello! If someone could please help, I'm trying to narrow my choices, but cannot for the life of me figure it all out.

I'm an international student studying Philosophy/English Lit. I will be 21 when I get to U of E, so a little older than most freshers. I will not have the opportunity to visit Edinburgh prior to the fall.

Interested in: South Clerk, Nicholson Street, Deaconess, Sciennes, Meadow Court, and Darroch.I'd really like to be close to everything. I want to explore Edinburgh as much as possible. Close proximity to any cool coffee shops or book shops would be amazing, fantastic, a HUGE plus! I don't necessarily want to live in a very noisy area as I take studying very seriously.
Some perks I appreciate: washers in unit (Meadow Court), common rooms (Sciennes, Deaconess, soon to be Darroch), close proximity to gym, larger bed, and of course en-suite would be lovely if I got it. I also really love the look of certain buildings that have character! Such as Nicholson, Darroch, South Clerk, and Deaconess.

However, Deaconess is expensive. Is it worth it?

Also, does anyone know if South Clerk is an option this year? It's not on the UofE Living FB page, but on the Accommodation Services website. And Nicholson is the opposite! It is on the FB page, but not the Accommodation Services website. However, both are in the "2015 Entry Undergraduate Accommodation Guide." Very confused here.

I keep rewriting the order in which I want them but I have no idea! Deaconess, Darroch, Nicholson right now. But I've also had Meadow Court first and no Darroch.

Realize this is me being a bit of a loon. Thank you for your time!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by cassandraisafox
Hello! If someone could please help, I'm trying to narrow my choices, but cannot for the life of me figure it all out.

I'm an international student studying Philosophy/English Lit. I will be 21 when I get to U of E, so a little older than most freshers. I will not have the opportunity to visit Edinburgh prior to the fall.

Interested in: South Clerk, Nicholson Street, Deaconess, Sciennes, Meadow Court, and Darroch.I'd really like to be close to everything. I want to explore Edinburgh as much as possible. Close proximity to any cool coffee shops or book shops would be amazing, fantastic, a HUGE plus! I don't necessarily want to live in a very noisy area as I take studying very seriously.
Some perks I appreciate: washers in unit (Meadow Court), common rooms (Sciennes, Deaconess, soon to be Darroch), close proximity to gym, larger bed, and of course en-suite would be lovely if I got it. I also really love the look of certain buildings that have character! Such as Nicholson, Darroch, South Clerk, and Deaconess.

However, Deaconess is expensive. Is it worth it?

Also, does anyone know if South Clerk is an option this year? It's not on the UofE Living FB page, but on the Accommodation Services website. And Nicholson is the opposite! It is on the FB page, but not the Accommodation Services website. However, both are in the "2015 Entry Undergraduate Accommodation Guide." Very confused here.

I keep rewriting the order in which I want them but I have no idea! Deaconess, Darroch, Nicholson right now. But I've also had Meadow Court first and no Darroch.

Realize this is me being a bit of a loon. Thank you for your time!

You may find Nicolson St listed under South College St, it has entrances on both.

In distance terms, these are all within half a mile of each other and the university - you're not going to far from anywhere in any of these. Nicolson St and South Clerk St are both (the same) main road - so traffic noise may be an issue, along with people/revellers. Sciennes and Meadow Court probably offer the best of both worlds from what you've asked. As for whether Deaconess is worth it ... only you can answer that. Can you afford it? Would you prefer to spend the cumulative ~£1500 you could save by living somewhere cheaper on something else, or is the comfort worth it? What standard of living are you used to?
I've pretty much decided to apply for Sciennes and Meadow Court but I don't seem to be able to choose the third one. I'm torn between New Arthur Place, Hermit's Croft and Warrender Park Road/Spottiswoode Street. If anyone has any experiences or opinions, positive or negative, on those three I'd love to hear them! :smile:
Warrender Park Crescent anyone??? :wink:
Reply 396
After we accept our accommodation offer, when do we find out who else we will be living with?
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
You may find Nicolson St listed under South College St, it has entrances on both.

In distance terms, these are all within half a mile of each other and the university - you're not going to far from anywhere in any of these. Nicolson St and South Clerk St are both (the same) main road - so traffic noise may be an issue, along with people/revellers. Sciennes and Meadow Court probably offer the best of both worlds from what you've asked. As for whether Deaconess is worth it ... only you can answer that. Can you afford it? Would you prefer to spend the cumulative ~£1500 you could save by living somewhere cheaper on something else, or is the comfort worth it? What standard of living are you used to?

Thank you! You were helpful! I'm doing: Meadow Court, South Clerk, Darroch. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by edexj
After we accept our accommodation offer, when do we find out who else we will be living with?

There's normally an official facebook group for your accommodation, that's the easiest way to find your flatmates before you move in. Otherwise, you won't find out until you move in.
Reply 399
Hello, im about to apply for accommodation at Edinburgh university and I'm just wondering can your only apply for either 3 catered or 3 self catered? Is it not possible to apply for say two self catered options and one catered? :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending