The Student Room Group

Gcse mice of men controlled assesment (urgent)

Hi, my controlled assessment question is: How does Steinbeck present loneliness and isolation through setting in Of Mice and Men? I have picked some quotes and i would really appreciate it if someone helped explain the quotes in relation of loneliness and isolation through setting and relate it to another part of the book. My teacher has explained one to me.
'On the sandbanks rabbits sat as quietly as little grey, sculptured stones' The fact they sat quietly and they are described as sculptures represents stillness. This foreshadows the stillness/Freeze in George and Lennies future or even future together.( I now need something to link this to)
The rest of my quotes are;
'For a moment the place was lifeless' pg1
'A path beaten hard.. by tramps who come wearily down from the highway' pg1 (Where Lennie and George walked down)
'The bunkhouse was a long rectangular building' pg 19
'The sun square was on the floor now, and flies whipped through it like sparks'
Although there was evening brightness showing through the windows of the bunkhouse, inside it was dusk'
' A small electric globe threw a meager yellow light' ( Crooks)
' Crooks the negro stable bucks room was in the harness room; a small room of the wall of the barn,
'The light climbed up the galiban mountains' (Section 6)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
I studied this at GCSE and I focused my entire CA on Curley's wife and how she is the loneliest character- maybe you could work a few points on the individual characters? And a good point to work in is her loneliness caused by misogyny

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending