The Student Room Group

How competitive are Biomedical degrees?

Thinking of applying to BioMed degrees... Not to top Universities, however will these still be massively over-applied? Advice please 😰...
I'd imagine so due to the huge influx of rejected doctors who put biomed as a back up
Original post by Willburrr
I'd imagine so due to the huge influx of rejected doctors who put biomed as a back up

If you say so but they would likely to apply for top universities which OP is not applying to. Medicine candidates have very high predicted grades ie AAA

--------------------

Anyway which universities are not considered as "top"?
Well I suppose top universities would be really competitive!

I went to Manchester open day and they said they get like 4000+ applications alone for Life sciences department e.g. Biomedical, Biochemistry, Microbiology etc. Also apparently due to the broad nature of Biomedical science degree, it is more popular than narrowed and specified subjects such as Microbiology, Cell biology, Pharmacology. Why? Because people are not sure what type of sciences they want to do anyway and also you can transfer (in manchester) from biomed to e.g. microbiology after the first year you have decided which area interests you the most. But then again Manchester would be considered as a top uni?
Reply 3
Original post by Makashima
If you say so but they would likely to apply for top universities which OP is not applying to. Medicine candidates have very high predicted grades ie AAA

--------------------

Anyway which universities are not considered as "top"?
Well I suppose top universities would be really competitive!

I went to Manchester open day and they said they get like 4000+ applications alone for Life sciences department e.g. Biomedical, Biochemistry, Microbiology etc. Also apparently due to the broad nature of Biomedical science degree, it is more popular than narrowed and specified subjects such as Microbiology, Cell biology, Pharmacology. Why? Because people are not sure what type of sciences they want to do anyway and also you can transfer (in manchester) from biomed to e.g. microbiology after the first year you have decided which area interests you the most. But then again Manchester would be considered as a top uni?

Yeah that's what I was thinking it might be less because not so many medical 'rejects' and by not top I mean Polytechnics such as Manchester Met, so much lower grades (about BBC/BBB)... Don't know if it's worth it though due to having no work experience and not the best grades or predictions...
Original post by JLG1997
Yeah that's what I was thinking it might be less because not so many medical 'rejects' and by not top I mean Polytechnics such as Manchester Met, so much lower grades (about BBC/BBB)... Don't know if it's worth it though due to having no work experience and not the best grades or predictions...

I have no work experiences too yet I'm applying to UoM! Also my AS grades are not good either although it's due to personal circumstance.

Due to the reform of Alevels, I hope they will take in account that many people did bad.

Plus they will know some people will do resits to improve their grades

I think you would get in in Manchester Met for sure...Ensure your personal statement is amazing and achieve them grades. I remembered seeing ManMet in the clearing before.
Reply 5
Oooh I see, good luck! And I got pretty much as predicted tbf... Am doing one resit but not in biology.

It's irritating because I'm predicted ABC... The C being in biology 😳

But ahh thankyou, yeah I've made a start on my personal statement, really unsure of how to relate it all to the subject though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
My best friend applied to polytechnic/met type universities for Biomedical Science with predicted grades of B/C and no work experience. She got all five offers back within a week of sending off her ucas form.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending