The Student Room Group

ELAT

So the ELAT exam is in a couple of weeks and whilst I've looked at practice/sample questions I'm still a little reluctant to sit down and do one, because I have no idea where to start.

I've had a look online and whilst I've found questions, and various tips, I haven't been able to find any example answers, which would be useful.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions, or even just wanted to exchange ideas, on how to structure the answer (especially the introduction) and just what to include overall.
Yeah, it is pretty damn hard.

I have sat down, read and planned one of the past papers online. I think the idea is too just make sure you tick all the boxes. Talk about Allusion, Syntax, Imagery, Form, Structure ect... all the stuff they want you too say.

I am planning to just explain the question I set myself in the introduction. Just 'signpost' where my essay will go.

What college are you applying for? :smile:
Reply 2
I think the ELAT will mostly be luck of the draw on which texts get selected to be honest.
Reply 3
Original post by thatguy22
Yeah, it is pretty damn hard.

I have sat down, read and planned one of the past papers online. I think the idea is too just make sure you tick all the boxes. Talk about Allusion, Syntax, Imagery, Form, Structure ect... all the stuff they want you too say.

I am planning to just explain the question I set myself in the introduction. Just 'signpost' where my essay will go.

What college are you applying for? :smile:

Yeah, I've done a past paper, and although I didn't think it went too well, when my teacher marked it, she said it was good, which was relieving.

The thing about the introduction is that I'm unsure how to say what I'm focusing on without using phrasing like 'I am going to look at...' which seems a little basic - and I try to avoid using the first person in questions like this. So I need some kind of alternative phrasing. It's something I'm actually rather worried about.

In terms of college, I've applied to St John's. They have quite a small intake, but I went on a taster day there and liked it, so I figured: why not? I don't really mind which college I end up, in truth, but that's the one I put down. How about you?
Reply 4
Original post by Gee1234
I think the ELAT will mostly be luck of the draw on which texts get selected to be honest.

That's true. I'm hoping that, because there's have the choice, I ought to be able to find a couple of the texts that I can talk about reasonably well but, as you say, who knows? (And then there's the fact that, even if there are two decent texts, they may not be easy to compare/contrast...)
Let's just hope, I suppose.
Reply 5
Original post by Cate:
That's true. I'm hoping that, because there's have the choice, I ought to be able to find a couple of the texts that I can talk about reasonably well but, as you say, who knows? (And then there's the fact that, even if there are two decent texts, they may not be easy to compare/contrast...)
Let's just hope, I suppose.

I think as long as we find a couple of ideas in a couple of texts and are able to write about them then it'll be fine, we might not even have to understand all of the text to get quotes from it!
Reply 6
So, with the ELAT tomorrow, I thought I'd quickly revive this thread...
Reply 7
How did everybody find it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Without giving too much away (in the interests of fairness) I found it most enjoyable.
Reply 9
Original post by Valancourt
Without giving too much away (in the interests of fairness) I found it most enjoyable.

I thought it was alright, my essay got a bit waffly at the end though :smile:
Original post by Gee1234
I thought it was alright, my essay got a bit waffly at the end though :smile:

If anything for me it was the other way round! I think I might have started somewhat too pedestrian and it only got really audacious at the end.

I'm hoping there was a sufficient level of erudition throughout. :colondollar:
Reply 11
Original post by Valancourt
If anything for me it was the other way round! I think I might have started somewhat too pedestrian and it only got really audacious at the end.

I'm hoping there was a sufficient level of erudition throughout. :colondollar:

Woaaaah check who swallowed a dictionary :wink:
It went a lot better than I expected! I'm a little nervous because it's the first exam I've sat in a while that I didn't do much preperation for, but that's the point I suppose.
Reply 13
Original post by frizzydinks
It went a lot better than I expected! I'm a little nervous because it's the first exam I've sat in a while that I didn't do much preperation for, but that's the point I suppose.

Don't worry - same boat here :biggrin:
I thought the theme was actually really reasonable as well; I was very worried that's what might trip me up.
Original post by Gee1234
Woaaaah check who swallowed a dictionary :wink:

Sadly I did not begin dictionary-swallowing until after the ELAT :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
I felt as though the ELAT went reasonably well! I actually really enjoyed doing the essay as well. I've done two practises before the real test, and one (I was told, anyway) was very good and the other good but not as decent as the one before hand though, haha. I felt as though the essay leaned more towards the first one I did, so hopefully it was alright!

Good luck to everyone for interviews.
How are people feeling about the ELAT/interviews in terms of preparation? I go to a comprehensive college, so no prep is offered unless you go up to your teacher and say 'look at this please'. I know the whole idea is that you're not supposed to have practice sessions in school, but I can't help feeling worried and like I'm missing out. I've done some practice interview questions with my mum who is an art teacher so not really the same sort of thing. None of the teachers at my college really have any experience with this sort of thing either so I'm kind of super worried :/
On a lighter note, which college are people applying to? I'm applying to Exeter, since it's near the library and has a big literary tradition :smile:
How are people feeling about the ELAT/interviews in terms of preparation? I go to a comprehensive college, so no prep is offered unless you go up to your teacher and say 'look at this please'. I know the whole idea is that you're not supposed to have practice sessions in school, but I can't help feeling worried and like I'm missing out. I've done some practice interview questions with my mum who is an art teacher so not really the same sort of thing. None of the teachers at my college really have any experience with this sort of thing either so I'm kind of super worried :/
On a lighter note, which college are people applying to? I'm applying to Exeter, since it's near the library and has a big literary tradition :smile:

Hello.
I'm just going to say that I know I am very lucky in the respect that I go to a private school and our Sixth Form only has 25 students a year. This means we get quite a bit of one-on-one help with university applications and interviews.
However, my Head of Sixth Form has always said to us that practising fluency of communication is very important, not necessarily practising the interview itself- you don't know what'll come up!
Learning to articulate your ideas clearly is helpful in any situation, and to practise that our teachers often make us elaborate after answering a question in class, or we arrange 'debate' sessions to aid students who will be facing interviews.
Maybe you could arrange sessions with your friends and make them ask you a question- then, don't just answer it. Elaborate! Practise keeping on topic, but expanding your argument and using details. Doing this with someone who doesn't do the same subjects would also be helpful- ask them to ask about bits they didn't understand, or that you didn't make clear enough.
The great thing is with this form of practise is that you can be anywhere- bus, car, train, or even walking to your next lesson.
Also, have fun with it ahaha.

I've applied to Lincoln College, right next to Exeter! I picked it because I liked the small year groups and I really liked the position of the college. I nearly applied to Exeter though! :smile:
Original post by jazhiggs1997
Hello.
I'm just going to say that I know I am very lucky in the respect that I go to a private school and our Sixth Form only has 25 students a year. This means we get quite a bit of one-on-one help with university applications and interviews.
However, my Head of Sixth Form has always said to us that practising fluency of communication is very important, not necessarily practising the interview itself- you don't know what'll come up!
Learning to articulate your ideas clearly is helpful in any situation, and to practise that our teachers often make us elaborate after answering a question in class, or we arrange 'debate' sessions to aid students who will be facing interviews.
Maybe you could arrange sessions with your friends and make them ask you a question- then, don't just answer it. Elaborate! Practise keeping on topic, but expanding your argument and using details. Doing this with someone who doesn't do the same subjects would also be helpful- ask them to ask about bits they didn't understand, or that you didn't make clear enough.
The great thing is with this form of practise is that you can be anywhere- bus, car, train, or even walking to your next lesson.
Also, have fun with it ahaha.

I've applied to Lincoln College, right next to Exeter! I picked it because I liked the small year groups and I really liked the position of the college. I nearly applied to Exeter though! :smile:

Thank you so so much- this is really helpful! Only about two students from my college get into Oxbridge each year so I can't thank you enough for this advice- I think I'll practice with my friend who's applying for Medicine at St. Hugh's since we can question each other even though we don't have a clue about the other person's subject lol. Good luck, I hope you get into Lincoln!
Thank you so so much- this is really helpful! Only about two students from my college get into Oxbridge each year so I can't thank you enough for this advice- I think I'll practice with my friend who's applying for Medicine at St. Hugh's since we can question each other even though we don't have a clue about the other person's subject lol. Good luck, I hope you get into Lincoln!

I'm really glad I could help! I hope you're successful too :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending