The Student Room Group

Law Personal Statement

Hi, i study science A-levels but want to apply for law. Any help on how to relate the two in my personal statment? :smile:
Original post by yazmin96
Hi, i study science A-levels but want to apply for law. Any help on how to relate the two in my personal statment? :smile:

What science A-Levels are you doing?
Reply 2
Biology, chemistry and physics :smile:
Reply 3
You don't need to. Explain why you want to do law and provide evidence of your interest by saying what you've been reading and/or doing to pursue it already. If your interest in science is related to your interest in law, then explain how, but if it isn't then don't just make up some story about how biology, chemistry and physics are actually incredibly useful and relevant to studying law.
Reply 4
Look at quantitative admissions criteria, and tailor your application to this. Your subjects will show the analysis they are looking for, you just need to show them that you know this.

As above, mention your interest in the subject and all the extra reading you've been doing.
Reply 5
Original post by yazmin96

the people who replied to you have totally missed the point which is why their PS for law were perhaps of a sub par standard. the whole idea behind a PS is to be original. Cambridge has made it very clear that academic ability is of huge importance and that the PS is very unlikely to substitute/fill in the gaps for weak A level or IB grades or whatever qualification you are using to enter uni. some unis prefer students to not do law at A levels. others don't mind.

i will take it that you're not doing law at A levels and I would say think out of the box. for example maths is all about logic. so if you're doing maths and you want to do law you would say in your PS that your study of maths has made you solve problems logically and you will be able to use this skill when you do law.

perhaps you can say that science is ever changing and that is something that applies to law. yesterday the law was that children between the ages of 10 - 14 are incapable of being tried in court for committing crimes. today the law has changed in order to permit courts to try them as juveniles.

i can understand that TSR might be the go-to place to seek help. what you need to understand is majority of the members themselves do not possess the capacity or the maturity to give sound advice. and i am no exception. if you think that you're not someone who can think out of the box and are already facing hurdles at the PS stage then perhaps you should re-consider your decision to do law.
Reply 6
Saying that "science is ever changing, and that also applies to law" is exactly the kind of thing that you come up with when you try desperately to link your A-level choices to your chosen subject. Going on to say something about how the law has changed just illustrates how the link to science was completely irrelevant. Being original is all very well, but it needs to be originality about you and your interests, not an original way of linking unrelated A-levels to your subject, which is in danger of just coming across as silly and artificial.

The bottom line is that admissions tutors will not read your application and think, 'Hmmm, science A-levels but applying for law... I need to see some link between these in the personal statement to convince me that this candidate is serious.' What they need to see is evidence of your interest and reading and/or involvement in law.
Reply 7
Original post by Estreth
Saying that "science is ever changing, and that also applies to law" is exactly the kind of thing that you come up with when you try desperately to link your A-level choices to your chosen subject. Going on to say something about how the law has changed just illustrates how the link to science was completely irrelevant. Being original is all very well, but it needs to be originality about you and your interests, not an original way of linking unrelated A-levels to your subject, which is in danger of just coming across as silly and artificial.

The bottom line is that admissions tutors will not read your application and think, 'Hmmm, science A-levels but applying for law... I need to see some link between these in the personal statement to convince me that this candidate is serious.' What they need to see is evidence of your interest and reading and/or involvement in law.

that was not what the admissions tutor told us and about a hundred thousand and fifty over people. i'll take her word for it thank you very much :tongue:
Reply 8
Original post by Maura Kat
that was not what the admissions tutor told us and about a hundred thousand and fifty over people. i'll take her word for it thank you very much :tongue:

Fair enough, I can only really claim to know anything about this insofar as I have direct experience of it. So you can consider my claim restricted to Oxford admissions.
Reply 9
Original post by Estreth
Fair enough, I can only really claim to know anything about this insofar as I have direct experience of it. So you can consider my claim restricted to Oxford admissions.

in my case the tutor was from Imperial.
in my case the tutor was from Imperial.

Why was she offering her opinion on law personal statements then?
Original post by Estreth
Why was she offering her opinion on law personal statements then?

it was a talk like some kinda conference thingy? have you sent off your ucas yet?
it was a talk like some kinda conference thingy? have you sent off your ucas yet?

My point was that Imperial don't do law. I sent off my UCAS seventeen years ago.
Original post by Estreth
My point was that Imperial don't do law. I sent off my UCAS seventeen years ago.

listen. let me tell you solemnly. you're out of touch. i shall end here.

listen. let me tell you solemnly. you're out of touch. i shall end here.

Let me assure you that I'm about as not out of touch as it's possible to be. I thought you'd have taken the hint by now. Likewise.
the people who replied to you have totally missed the point which is why their PS for law were perhaps of a sub par standard. the whole idea behind a PS is to be original. Cambridge has made it very clear that academic ability is of huge importance and that the PS is very unlikely to substitute/fill in the gaps for weak A level or IB grades or whatever qualification you are using to enter uni. some unis prefer students to not do law at A levels. others don't mind.

i will take it that you're not doing law at A levels and I would say think out of the box. for example maths is all about logic. so if you're doing maths and you want to do law you would say in your PS that your study of maths has made you solve problems logically and you will be able to use this skill when you do law./QUOTE]

I couldn't think of a more generic, unoriginal and tenuous link between maths and law.

i can understand that TSR might be the go-to place to seek help. what you need to understand is majority of the members themselves do not possess the capacity or the maturity to give sound advice. and i am no exception./QUOTE]

Hmm

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by georgieooooo

I couldn't think of a more generic, unoriginal and tenuous link between maths and law.

Posted from TSR Mobile

you can't think, period!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending