The Student Room Group

Help with history 24 mark question

“The Eisenhower years between 1953 and 1961 saw significant improvements for African Americans”. Explain why you agree or disagree with this statement.

So far I've wrote -
Eisenhower was elected as a Republican president in 1953 and his term ended in 1961. During the Eisenhower years there were some significant improvements in the lives of African Americans because the civil rights movement began to take action and international events inspired many people.
The Brown vs Board of Education ruling in 1954 was a big stepping stone in the civil rights movement which significantly improved the lives of blacks as it overturned the Plessy vs Ferguson 1896 ruling. This is significant because it shows us that attitudes were changing towards blacks, as in 1896 the Supreme Court ruled in favour of segregation but in the Eisenhower years we can see from the ruling that the Supreme Court was now in favour of desegregation and equality. The rulings also show that African Americans now have more political power,

I'm not sure what kind of points to talk about really, so could someone help with that
I don't really know much on the subject but I would answer the question in a introduction, agree with statement, disagree with statement, conclusion layout.

The agree section would cover laws and actions that happened in the period to reduce segregation e.g. the 1957 civil rights act I believe. The disagree section would focus on areas where little changed. I know that isn't much detail but hope it helps. Try googling the topic and seeing what big events are repeated. I would imagine certain states would be better at the rights that others, perhaps look into that.
Reply 2
Original post by elitepower
I don't really know much on the subject but I would answer the question in a introduction, agree with statement, disagree with statement, conclusion layout.

The agree section would cover laws and actions that happened in the period to reduce segregation e.g. the 1957 civil rights act I believe. The disagree section would focus on areas where little changed. I know that isn't much detail but hope it helps. Try googling the topic and seeing what big events are repeated. I would imagine certain states would be better at the rights that others, perhaps look into that.

Yeah I think I'm going to continue looking into the brown ruling and then move onto the montgomery bus boycotts, and i'll explain the impacts of them and then why they had no impact.
Hey, I got 100% on that course last year!

Have you thought about Earl Warren? Eisenhower nominated him as a Supreme Court judge in September 1653, and he passed the B v B ruling, and other pro-rights causes. However, Eisenhower didn't know how liberal he was, he referred to the nomination as a big mistake. Plenty of room there for analysis.

More directly related to the question; Eisenhower pushed through the 1957 and 1960 Civil Rights Bills, which were extremely significant as the first instances of such legislation in American history. However, the bills combined added only 3% of black Americans to the electoral role.

Little Rock in 1957 is extremely important too; obviously, the Little Rock 9 were chased from the school by a violent mob initially, and still had to leave even after being granted police protection. Orval Faubus kept that school closed rather than integrate it. But, Eisenhower did intervene, setting a precedent for Presidential intervention in such cases. Still, though, in dilly-dallying it was clear that Eisenhower wasn't interested in the rights, more the American image, which suggests that this wasn't much of an improvement for African Americans.

That's some of the stuff I would put. Think about the Montgomery Bus Boycott as well, as that allowed the grass-roots movement to develop, so that certainly meant improved conditions for African Americans.

Hope that helped!
Reply 4
Original post by tomfailinghelp
Hey, I got 100% on that course last year!

Have you thought about Earl Warren? Eisenhower nominated him as a Supreme Court judge in September 1653, and he passed the B v B ruling, and other pro-rights causes. However, Eisenhower didn't know how liberal he was, he referred to the nomination as a big mistake. Plenty of room there for analysis.

More directly related to the question; Eisenhower pushed through the 1957 and 1960 Civil Rights Bills, which were extremely significant as the first instances of such legislation in American history. However, the bills combined added only 3% of black Americans to the electoral role.

Little Rock in 1957 is extremely important too; obviously, the Little Rock 9 were chased from the school by a violent mob initially, and still had to leave even after being granted police protection. Orval Faubus kept that school closed rather than integrate it. But, Eisenhower did intervene, setting a precedent for Presidential intervention in such cases. Still, though, in dilly-dallying it was clear that Eisenhower wasn't interested in the rights, more the American image, which suggests that this wasn't much of an improvement for African Americans.

That's some of the stuff I would put. Think about the Montgomery Bus Boycott as well, as that allowed the grass-roots movement to develop, so that certainly meant improved conditions for African Americans.

Hope that helped!

thanks a lot man

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending