The Student Room Group

Things they don't teach in schools (but probably should!)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Captain Jack
Especially as GPs tend to be so pants these days. Mine has told me all kinds of wild stories recently! But thankfully most of my friends are doctors.

Exactly. It'll improve doctor-patient communication as well, less misunderstandings, less misconceptions. It just seems to make so much sense to me. Knowing your own body should not be limited to medics only.
First aid would probably be a good idea.
Little of worth is taught in schools,

Social skills? Nope
Oratory? Nope
Business? Nope

Yep you get to learn a bit about mathematics and physics (most of which people have a poor understanding of and will never ever use it) yep you get to know a little bit about conflicts in history, but changing the power structures of the present? Bahaha it's all about keeping the people ignorant while Machiavellianism reigns supreme. Can't be teaching the peasants how to use social skills to make wealth and power.
Reply 23
I wrote to the mp of my area about breast cancer and testicular cancer awareness to be told it was covered in pshce lessons. It's certainly wasn't in mine
Calculus in Chemistry and Physics.
Reply 25
●Basic knowledge of growing food/farming etc.
●History from all over the world not just Europe and from different perspectives aswell
●How the government and politics work
●Basic understanding of medicine,the body and how it works (Really annoys me when people declare they have a certain disease because one or two symptoms match)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Save TSR a lot of virtual earache if they did lessons on how to get girls.
Politics and basic finance, like taxes and stuff.

Edit: As someone else said basic first aid would also be very good. The geography idea is an interesting one as people are always very surprised that I can actually roughly locate things on a map- surely everyone should be able to? :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by arson_fire
Personally, I think that`s a job for parents rather than teachers.

So do I and I'm lucky that I have parents that have taught me those things but some people don't so I think we should either learn them at school or we/parents should have parenting sessions/be encourage to learn/teach these skills :smile:
-Basic life support/medical emergency training. Quite shocking that it isn't universally taught from a young age
-Basic financial info, re. things like mortgages, loans, savings, interest, etc
Original post by ParetoOptimum
Schools should teach kids to learn about things individually and stop being so dependent on being spoon-fed information in a class-based environment

Totally agree! lesser selection, more support!

Original post by toonervoustotalk
(...)
Politics

Depends on! if politics lesson means to teach students some theories (neoliberalism for instance), so I'm again. But if it means to teach students in their rights as voter and citizen, plus to debate about current politics, so I'm for!
- Basic political and financial info, i.e what happens in parliament/how taxes work.

- General world history, not just English history or European history.

- Geography. Not earthquakes and volcanoes and stuff, just basic world geography. You'd be surprised how many people leave school without knowing the difference between a country and a continent :-/
Original post by themorninglight
- Basic political and financial info, i.e what happens in parliament/how taxes work. (...)

Yeah, that is very important to know. That would be an important lesson.

Original post by themorninglight

- Geography. Not earthquakes and volcanoes and stuff, just basic world geography. You'd be surprised how many people leave school without knowing the difference between a country and a continent :-/

You make me afraid. But as long as they know that Great Britain belongs to Europe, I feel reassured.
Reply 33
Maybe they ought to teach people to take responsibility for their own education.

After all provided schools teach arithmetic, reading, how to use Google and where books can be borrowed from, then these skills alone ought to be adequate preparation.

Maybe some lessons in initiative would be useful!!!
Original post by arson_fire
Personally, I think that`s a job for parents rather than teachers.

Unfortunately not all parents teach stuff like healthy eating properly, and it would help a lot to have it taught more often in schools.

It's a bit like how some people argue that we should abolish sex education because "that's the job of the parents". If we were to abolish it lots of children would miss out on some pretty crucial stuff. It's the same basic thing here.
How to think properly, not teaching you not to think or a partially state dictated way of thinking when you are encouraged to think freely.
Reply 36
social manipulation 101
Reply 37
I was thinking, there are tonnes of skills in life I've had to teach myself, which could (and probably should) have been covered briefly at school. Or at least, it would have been helpful.

What do you think schools don't teach but should?

My two are:

Cleaning an oven properly

Growing tomatoes

Heres my list-

- In yr 6, they should be taught the (real) social norms of high school (prepare them before they are sent as lambs to the slaughter)- non of 'if someone upsets you, tell the teacher' rubbish.

- How to cook, clean, look after yourself.

- How to pronounce 'th'- it drives me mad how many educated adults talk a bit fick. (it is taught to younger kids in phonics- but needs to be corrected as they get older)

- How to protect/ defend yourself in adult life- not talking about karate, etc- more about abusive relationships, assertiveness with unreasonable people, etc.

- How to drive?

- How to apply for jobs, CVs, etc- usually not covered until collage/sixth form

- How to manage money

- Learn about people you will meet in life (should be covered in yr 6/7)- people with learning difficulties, disabilities, mental health, etc.

- Consequences of decisions- (prob before aged 10)- i have know people who have not been able to get jobs or visit countries because of a bad decision (and getting arrested for it) when they were a kid. If kids are taught that arrests for certain things- eg; assault, drugs, etc can bar you from certain jobs/countries for life- they may think twice.

- Abuse- what is abuse as a child/adult- make sure kids are aware.

Thats what i think should be taught............
Reply 38
Great thread :biggrin:

What do you think schools don't teach but should?

1. Politics - we want people to be informed to be willing to push for change
2. Philosophy - how we see the world around us - reflection and understanding is important
3. Banking/Finance - saving and investing/risks associated with cards and loans - taxes
4. Health - importance of diet and exercise
5. Authority - how to challenge it in a respectful and professional manner
6. Presenting - this is a valuable skill and could be introduced across the curriculum - more emphasis on assessment via presentation - it will help build confidence
7. Project management - this is very important - most people in life will work on projects as opposed to sitting exams

I personally believe assessment in schools should be done via presentation and project based work.
Philosophy!

Its alarming how many people in England adopt positions that would be destroyed in 5 seconds in a Philosophy classroom... I'm looking at you subjectivism!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending