The Student Room Group

why do people fall for the propaganda about isis

As brutal as Isis are I don't understand why everyone seems to believe that the reason we are bombing them is that we want to save civilians. Especially when Americas best friends the Saudi's rule their country in a very similar way to Isis and funded Isis originally. Why do people genuinely think we are intervening to save civilians from Isis its clearly to protect US interests in the region
ISIS could easily be a threat to us, and stopping them will save civilians in their wake, intention or not.
Original post by Skip_Snip
ISIS could easily be a threat to us, and stopping them will save civilians in their wake, intention or not.
I don't see how bombing people is going to save civilians or as the americans call them collateral damage
Because people don't bother to join up the dots. I suspect that this is largely about their emergence as a de facto supplier of oil, and one which America cannot effectively control.
Reply 4
Because most people just soak up whatever is told to them.

The motive of a government for any action is rarely "to save the lives of civilians" Especially the lives of civilians who aren't from their country. Otherwise the African debt would have been written off years ago and there wouldn't be so many starving people still.
Reply 5
Original post by intelligent con
As brutal as Isis are I don't understand why everyone seems to believe that the reason we are bombing them is that we want to save civilians. Especially when Americas best friends the Saudi's rule their country in a very similar way to Isis and funded Isis originally. Why do people genuinely think we are intervening to save civilians from Isis its clearly to protect US interests in the region

Because no matter how much humanity refuses to believe in the media, the common level of thinking is so primitive that society will always believe the media. This is Iraq but to a smaller extent all over again. Terrorists my arse Oil hungry materialistic pricks
I personally don`t understand why people think it`s been done to save civilians. It`s done to further the interests of the UK.
Reply 7
What do you suggest then.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Because people are generally morons.
I don't see how bombing people is going to save civilians or as the americans call them collateral damage

Because IS are committing genocide and bombing them definitely saves civilians and gives other armed groups the ability to fight back (like the Kurds in Iraq and Syria, for example).

Bombing certainly helped the Yazidis on mount Sinjar. It helped end the siege of Amerli, where shia would have faced mass slaughter without air strikes. It has helped Kurds resist the IS advance on Kobani. Airstrikes have helped Kurds in Iraq recpature territory and if you think back to the start of these air strikes, IS were advancing on Irbil before air strikes took place.

Civilian casualties are unavoidable, but civilians are already dying because of IS. The number of civilian casualties resulting from not acting would be orders of magnitude greater than the civilian casualties from bombing IS. Some civilians are killed but so far an overwhelming majority of casualties have been IS fighters, not civilians.
Original post by arson_fire
I personally don`t understand why people think it`s been done to save civilians. It`s done to further the interests of the UK.

It's also done to favour the interests of every sane human being on this planet, by killing a bunch of genocidal nutters who threaten the security of the entire region and would pose a real threat to UK security if nothing was done. The fight against IS is a legitimate war that must be fought.

You could argue the Falklands war was fought to further the interests of the UK. But it was definitely a legitimate war.
Original post by RFowler
It's also done to favour the interests of every sane human being on this planet, by killing a bunch of genocidal nutters who threaten the security of the entire region and would pose a real threat to UK security if nothing was done. The fight against IS is a legitimate war that must be fought.

You could argue the Falklands war was fought to further the interests of the UK. But it was definitely a legitimate war.

True, and i`m not implying we shouldn`t be doing it. But a fair number of people do think we get involved in things like this, and Afghanistan, out of a sense of altruism.
(edited 9 years ago)
Watch this

Could you provide a source for this portrayal of ISIS?
Reply 14
Original post by Skip_Snip

Thats what they want you to believe....
Reply 15
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2710897

Please use the above thread for any discussion of ISIS

Latest

Trending

Trending