The Student Room Group

What would Cambridge's view be on this:

I've just started year 12 (for the first and last time) and I will be applying to do maths at Cambridge next year.

Will I be disadvantaged because of my 'poor' module marks in AS/A2 Maths
I did AS/A2 maths in year 9-11 and got an A* but with only one full UMS in C3, the average was 88% overall the whole pf the A-level after 62 Ums in M1 :mad:

I know that they ask for module marks when applying, and as mine are comparatively low to others applying will they appreciate that I sat the exams earlier than most?

Also, I'm doing A2 Further Maths this year (6 exams) and if I were to get 600 UMS would that "save me" .
I'm also doing AS Physics and History. I expect to get near full UMS in Physics but in history I may not even get an A, I reckon I'll scrape the A.

Any thoughts shared would be very much appreciated. :smile:

I am in a similar position.

Although my average is around 92% due to sitting it in Year 11 when I didn't really understand the stuff, although I do now. I have the same C3 score actually :lol: with M1 being my worst.

Anyway, if you score really high this year it'll be fine. Although you might want to avoid trinity and such colleges. Maybe you could sit STEP I this year?
Reply 2
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I am in a similar position.

Although my average is around 92% due to sitting it in Year 11 when I didn't really understand the stuff, although I do now. I have the same C3 score actually :lol: with M1 being my worst.

Anyway, if you score really high this year it'll be fine. Although you might want to avoid trinity and such colleges. Maybe you could sit STEP I this year?

I was thinking about doing STEP II this year. I don't think Step I will be that useful because although you are displaying your ability, with STEP II you would have already met part of the STEP offer if you get a 1
Original post by Idomaths
I was thinking about doing STEP II this year. I don't think Step I will be that useful because although you are displaying your ability, with STEP II you would have already met part of the STEP offer if you get a 1

If you think you can go for it, STEP II would be best.

Quick Reply

Latest