The Student Room Group

Raf and relationships

Hi I'm hoping someone can give me some advice I've been with my boyfriend for nearly 9 months and I've always known he wanted to go into the raf he's looking at becoming a regiment gunner and I would never stand in his way but I do love him and he loves me but I don't know what to expect if he gets in im just wondering if someone can tell me from their experience

many thanks
Original post by Nicola_emma
Hi I'm hoping someone can give me some advice I've been with my boyfriend for nearly 9 months and I've always known he wanted to go into the raf he's looking at becoming a regiment gunner and I would never stand in his way but I do love him and he loves me but I don't know what to expect if he gets in im just wondering if someone can tell me from their experience

many thanks

Hi Nicole_emma

If your boyfriend applies for RAF Regiment Gunner and assuming he passes selection. He will then do 32 weeks training at RAF Honington, near Bury St Edmunds. He'll be stuck on Unit for the first 3/4 weeks as is common with most Phase 1 Training in the RAF then he may have weekends off depending on the Instructors and course performance.

Once he's finished training he could be posted to any regiment unit in the UK to further his training. The majority of the time he'll be free evenings and weekends but as with military life he will be away on exercises and operations overseas.

Have a look at these:

http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafregiment/careers/tg_experiences.cfm

http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafregiment/training.cfm

Is there anything you are particularly wondering about?

AlphaTango
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Well I'm hoping to be honest to get to see him and that I do realise it will be hard at first I think the pressure of the whole process is getting to him but I'm hoping we can come through this and have a stronger relationship really

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well I'm hoping to be honest to get to see him and that I do realise it will be hard at first I think the pressure of the whole process is getting to him but I'm hoping we can come through this and have a stronger relationship really

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unfortunately during training you will have to accept not seeing him very often, its incredibly demanding and he'll have a lot to do. However once he has passed it, thats it done and the majority of the time he'll be working normal hours at a unit somewhere. As i said though he will be away at somepoint as thats part of the job.

It is difficult for a relationship to get through but plenty of people manage it and some don't. If its what he wants to do then you'll just have to do your best to support him and keep together.

You get used to it!
Reply 4
Thank you I have been supporting him I do understand it is a very demanding role and I'm proud of him for applying I just hope we can make it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5

Posted from TSR Mobile

N_E I wish you and your b/f all the best wishes in the world. As you've obviously twigged, you've met someone whose chosen career is likely to impinge drastically on your relationship. Any relationship where one party is involved with the military is, by necessity, going to put strains on that relationship in a way that most civilians would have no clue. It'll work for plenty of couples, and for some, it will prove too difficult. In your case, which way it goes, is entirely up you and him.

A number of people in a similar situation have previously started threads on this forum asking exactly the same question. If you enter 'RAF girlfriend' into the search box above, you'll get the thread for the most recent example.

Again, very best wishes for your future life together. :smile:
Reply 6
Hi op, so first off, good on you for supporting him, doesn't always happen!

So first off, this is quite a hard question to answer, as we don't know you or your situation, but first off, are you tied to one location due to your career?

I have to say long distance can be quite strenuous, but if your willing to make it work it can also make relationships much stronger, especially as it keeps things fresh.

I would say don't think about the initial part with him in training, this time flies and it's important for him to just get on with it. Afterwards, then there's so much support and having him in a stable career helps massively when planning for the future
Reply 7
Well at the moment we have a bit of distance between us already we live in totally different towns about 2 hours drive from each other we see each other once a month as we have both got other commitments but up to now it has worked but all I can do is just try and support him the best I can really, I know how much this means to him so all I can do is just hope that our relationship can survive it seems to have done up to now but I don't know what can happen in basic training And the effect it has on the people doing it I know it will be a gruelling schedule

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest