The Student Room Group

Media and Communication - best universities to study this course ?

After giving it a careful thought, I have finally decided to study Media and Communication,even though my first idea was to pursue a career in the field of PR,due to the fact that it is unfortunately not a common course and i couldn't seem to find the right university for it (idk,i suppose it's too narrow).I would be really grateful if you could simply give me your opinion on whether it is a good course to study and suggest some possible universities to attend.I am looking for a course that offers a year abroad or work placement , and it would definetely be a plus if it is situated in a big city (such as London,Manchester) . The universities that i liked for this course are : Lancaster,Leeds,Newcastle,Loughborough, Cardiff,University of East Anglia,City . Please , share your opinion, it would be greatly appreciated.

P.S Sorry if my grammar or vocabulary is not correct,English is not my native language
Reply 1
I am the same as you! I am applying for a Media and Communications course even though I plan to go in a PR career direction. I've applied to Newcastle, Leeds, Leicester and Sussex so far. I was also looking at Cardiff and East Anglia, the course in Cardiff is particularly good but I chose not to apply there because Newcastle and Leeds are just better city options for me.

I'd say any of the universities I have mentioned are great and the uni's you are looking at as well. I didn't like Loughborough too much though because they taught it as a BSc rather than a BA.
Reply 2
I'm the same as both of you! I want to do PR, but as it's not common I applied for some others too. If you want to do PR though - I recommend Lincoln and Bournemouth, both are great and respected unis. I also applied for Birmingham City and UWE as back ups, and also Loughborough to do media, because it looked like the most broad course and also it had a module on PR. Plus, distance is good and it just looked like a nice uni in general. :smile:
Hi cvetyilieva,

Have you thought about the University of Hertfordshire?

We're a campus based university located in Hatfield, about 25 mins from London and 15 minutes from St Albans.

We offer a very flexible Mass Communications programme which allows you to combine different subjects including Film, Journalism, Media Cultures, New Media Publishing and English Language & Communication. You can find out more about the programme here: www.herts.ac.uk/apply/schools-of-study/humanities/mass-communications

We offer both study abroad options and work placements which you can find out more about here: www.herts.ac.uk/international/exchanges-and-study-abroad and here: www.herts.ac.uk/apply/work-placements

If you have any questions, just let me know.

Heather
University of Hertfordshire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending