The Student Room Group

Describing a map

Does anyone know any specific terminology for describing features on a map?

I need to say things like: 'The mountain is located on the southern part of the map, lining the footpath' and 'Leaving 10km width, trace the edge of the borderline and travel for about 100km to reach the town Knightsbridge just inside the point on the north side of the map.'

I need better words than 'northernmost' and to the 'west' to show the location of specific features eg. a river
Original post by Chantillyme

I need to say things like: 'The mountain is located on the southern part of the map, lining the footpath' and 'Leaving 10km width, trace the edge of the borderline and travel for about 100km to reach the town Knightsbridge just inside the point on the north side of the map.'

I need better words than 'northernmost' and to the 'west' to show the location of specific features eg. a river

I don't think you need a better word than "north" or "west"... if it's north or west, then you should say it?
Reply 2
Original post by Chlorophile
I don't think you need a better word than "north" or "west"... if it's north or west, then you should say it?

Yeh but I need to use a good english level because this is what the test is for, it's a foreign english test so i just wanted a variety of words. Can you think of any words to describe the length of a river or anything? Like instead of saying 'the width of the river is...'
Yeh but I need to use a good english level because this is what the test is for, it's a foreign english test so i just wanted a variety of words. Can you think of any words to describe the length of a river or anything? Like instead of saying 'the width of the river is...'

Oh, I thought this was Geography, sorry! Maybe this should be moved to the English forum to help you get better responses?
Reply 4
Oh, I thought this was Geography, sorry! Maybe this should be moved to the English forum to help you get better responses?

I just thought that because it's to do with maps then i should put it here but thank you, i'll move it now
I just thought that because it's to do with maps then i should put it here but thank you, i'll move it now

Well the issue is that this is a common question in Geography exams, where the aim is to convey as much information as clearly as possible, which I don't think is what you're after!
Reply 6
Well the issue is that this is a common question in Geography exams, where the aim is to convey as much information as clearly as possible, which I don't think is what you're after!

If you were given a question on describing a map how would you answer it? Is it not describing the features of it?

Just moved this to the English section in case you get more responses here :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending