The Student Room Group

I'm unsure of what to do...

Hey everyone, not sure if this should be in the relationships section but oh well... this is quite an unusual question but here it goes.

I feel like my purpose in life is to help others, those really in need. An opportunity has come up to help fight against isis with the kurdish armed forces in Iraq and Syria. I really want to go out there, I know people out there who are saying they have seen children slaughtered by ISIS, women raped and beheaded. I feel like this is my chance to do something good in my life, I've done some bad things and finally I got the chance to do something good, and save some lives.

However, if I were to leave to help the poor people of kurdistan and iraq who are being slaughtered that would mean leaving the love of my life behind, and I don't know how to tell her that because I really do love her with all my heart. I'm a good boxer, and If I were to stay in england I could pursue my boxing career and make an alright living and stay with my girl, but I feel like I will live the rest of my life regretting it and the guilt everytime I look on the news to see more people slaughtered and I decided to stay over a girl and a boxing career? Any opinions on what I should do?
You sound like a decent guy, great attitude.

If you want to fight over there, all respect to you.

What i'd say is - be prepared to die, but don't expect to.

That's the attitude I took when I worked in the police :smile:
I think you should really think about where you want to be in like 10 years. Since I do not know you I can not tell you what you should do however in my opinion you at too young to know that she is the love of your life also if you get hurt the whole of you boxing career could end. This does not mean that you should go however these are points ypushould consider.
Reply 3
Thanks guys, and that's the thing, to turn pro at boxing I would have to stay in the UK, if I were to leave my boxing career would be over completely. I know it sounds crazy to ruin a boxing career to go to a foreign country to fight, but it feels like something I would regret not doing, and I feel like in 10 years time if i am a successful boxer it would be great however in the back of my mind i would always think that I was the guy who sat back and done nothing when I could of stood up and fought.

HopeDsecret, you also bring up another point, if I go out to join the kurdish military, It will be as a volunteer, which means once the wars over I will be left with nothing, not even my boxing career...
You said that in 10 years you might regret your decision however you can go volunteer even when you are in your 40s.
Reply 5
Original post by james.1996
Hey everyone, not sure if this should be in the relationships section but oh well... this is quite an unusual question but here it goes.

I feel like my purpose in life is to help others, those really in need. An opportunity has come up to help fight against isis with the kurdish armed forces in Iraq and Syria. I really want to go out there, I know people out there who are saying they have seen children slaughtered by ISIS, women raped and beheaded. I feel like this is my chance to do something good in my life, I've done some bad things and finally I got the chance to do something good, and save some lives.

However, if I were to leave to help the poor people of kurdistan and iraq who are being slaughtered that would mean leaving the love of my life behind, and I don't know how to tell her that because I really do love her with all my heart. I'm a good boxer, and If I were to stay in england I could pursue my boxing career and make an alright living and stay with my girl, but I feel like I will live the rest of my life regretting it and the guilt everytime I look on the news to see more people slaughtered and I decided to stay over a girl and a boxing career? Any opinions on what I should do?

Join the British army. You'll be fighting on the side of the Kurds (most likely) but you'll be better trained and equipped.

Can i ask though. Do you wish to join the fight out of solidarity with the Kurds or because you support a more western democracy which Kurds seem to support.
Reply 6
Original post by Rakas21
Join the British army. You'll be fighting on the side of the Kurds (most likely) but you'll be better trained and equipped.

Can i ask though. Do you wish to join the fight out of solidarity with the Kurds or because you support a more western democracy which Kurds seem to support.

I got my application with the BA deferred due to some stupid mistake I made in the past, not rejected but deferred. And honestly I want to fight along side the kurds because I am sick and tired of seeing on the news every morning of ISIS beheading people, raping people, selling young girls as slaves and doing nothing about it. If I saw that happening on the street I'd do something about it, so I should do something about it if I can even if it is happening in a different country.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending