The Student Room Group

1000s of People Want Victoria’s Secret to Apologize for ‘Perfect Body’ Ad

http://time.com/3551892/victorias-secret-perfect-body-ad-backlash-petition/

[h="2"]But can it make a difference?[/h]More than 16,000 people have signed a U.K. petition asking Victoria’s Secret to apologize for an “irresponsible,” “body-shaming” ad.
The lingerie company sparked outrage for a new campaign celebrating “The Perfect ‘Body.'” The ad copy is a riff on the brand’s “Body” lingerie line, but since the slogan hovers above the supermodels’ bodies, people say it sends the wrong message.

Dear Kate, an underwear company “made by women for women,” insists that the lingerie industry as a whole can and should do better. “As if women need a reminder of our society’s homogenous definition of beauty, the ad features ten models with almost identical body shapes,” its website reads. “The creators of the ad probably didn’t think twice about the message it is sending, and to us, it’s irresponsible marketing.”

But can the petition incite change? Petition writers Frances Black, Gabriella Kountourides and Laura Ferris note that “we have yet to hear a single word from Victoria’s Secret! It can’t be much longer until they listen up and realise that they have some apologising to do.”
Victoria’s Secret did not reply to TIME’s request for comment.
But the “Perfect Body” campaign is in line with past marketing efforts. Victoria Secret’s previous “Love Your Body” campaign (which also incited backlash) provides a stark contrast to companies like Dove’s take on promoting an ideal body image.

Some companies just prefer to promote “perfect bodies” rather than “real beauty.”
Reply 1
I don't want them to apologise. And my opinion that I want to look at hot women outweighs the views of all these people who don't.
Hmm see the complaint, all these women are very thin, ribs showing and all that, and although not all are sticks, none are particularly curvaceous, you can have a much more exaggerated hour glass or pear shape than they present without being "fat", so they are correct in that it's only showing one body type which isn't exactly realistic and I'd question if maybe a couple of the girls were a bit too thin for their own good. They may not be though, but for example they're certainly skinnier round the hips than say...

http://brahd.myzazou.com/gallery-2013/Jan%202013%20-%20Week%203/gallery_enlarged-heather-crook-nude-naked-22.jpg

and I would say she's perfectly healthy body wise

or say..

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_l-PliZf_O60/TBfXylyuANI/AAAAAAAAAX8/YiGvmR7jHaI/s1600/emily-cream-blue-curvy-kate-bra.jpg

If that's considered fat then fair enough, take the Victoria Secret girls and I'll be more than fine with the dregs lol.

That said though it can go too far the otherway, people labelled what are clearly significantly obese women as "curvaceous" or "real women"...no, if you're size 20 you're just overweight, rolls are not curves. Bar a few exceptions, I'd say sizes 8-12 encompass all body shapes (apple, pear, hour glass etc) and allows for bigger hips/bust, I'd wager the vast majority of women over a size 12 could be that size without being an unhealthy weight.
(edited 9 years ago)
Those models are very healthy. They work out and eat right every day. Why do people complain so much!? oh because they can't be bothered to get off their arses and work out themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BCJGijE0iE

Sure not everyone can be as tall and thin as them but having fat women as idols is not body positive. Being overweight is bad for your health.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
I'd rather this add than encourage them all that they are still beautiful at size 20.
Reply 5
Do we have nothing else to care about?

Non-issue.
I don't really see the problem with this...
Reply 7
My heart bleeds.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Clip
I don't want them to apologise. And my opinion that I want to look at hot women outweighs the views of all these people who don't.

They are good role models.
Reply 9
Haven't people got better things to do?
TSR is astoundingly triggering of eating disorder sufferers loool

Now I am no real fat acceptance supporter, I guess we all.subconsciously know they have a point, Adonis and VS supermodels are super fit near physical 'perfection' surpassed 9nly by female fitnews models...

but when you have a friend abuse their body to a near fatal degree (and abuse your own to a lesser extent) as a means of control and power, you do get a bit disillusioned to our culture's excessive neuroticism about our looks and figure, to put it lightly.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
TSR is astoundingly triggering of eating disorder sufferers loool

Now I am no real fat acceptance supporter, I guess we all.subconsciously know they have a point, Adonis and VS supermodels are super fit near physical 'perfection' surpassed 9nly by female fitnews models...

but when you have a friend abuse their body to a near fatal degree (and abuse your own to a lesser extent) as a means of control and power, you do get a bit disillusioned to our culture's excessive neuroticism about our looks and figure, to put it lightly.

What do you want society to do? Stop finding attractive girls attractive? Or pretend that they don't?

It's a stupid ad, but that's life. They've not done anything which remotely requires apologising for.
Original post by Rinsed
What do you want society to do? Stop finding attractive girls attractive? Or pretend that they don't?

It's a stupid ad, but that's life. They've not done anything which remotely requires apologising for.

I would have to watch the ad for full judgment, I am purely judging TSR's reactions to VS for now

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending