The Student Room Group

Can you do an Engineering Degree without Physics A-Level?

I am going to take Maths, Chemistry, Biology and DT for A-Level and I have applied for the Archwright Scholarship. Can I do an Engineering Degree at a Top University without Physics??

Thanks
Original post by Sophie :D
I am going to take Maths, Chemistry, Biology and DT for A-Level and I have applied for the Archwright Scholarship. Can I do an Engineering Degree at a Top University without Physics??

Thanks

It depends on what kind of engineering. If its chemical I'd say no but otherwise you do. I'm doing level 3 Engineering and we do allot of physics
Reply 2
The other thing is of course you said "top university" Physics is apart from FM the most desirable a-level for engineering, so not having it may put you at a slight disadvantage over a similar candidate who did the same levels except also got an A in Physics
Reply 3
Original post by JackHazard
It depends on what kind of engineering. If its chemical I'd say no but otherwise you do. I'm doing level 3 Engineering and we do allot of physics

Is it basic A* GCSE Physics or A-Level Physics you do a lot of??
I was hoping I would get an offer if I get the Arkwright Engineering Scholarship whilst I do A-Levels.

(I have no idea about the Engineering Degrees)

Thanks
Reply 4
Original post by JamieMT92
Physics is apart from FM the most desirable a-level for engineering

Why are they all asking for Maths before Physics then?
Reply 5
Original post by JamieMT92
The other thing is of course you said "top university" Physics is apart from FM the most desirable a-level for engineering, so not having it may put you at a slight disadvantage over a similar candidate who did the same levels except also got an A in Physics

Would the Arkwright Engineering Scholarship have no advantage over other who do Physics??

Thanks
Reply 6
Thread title : Can you do an Engineering Degree without Physics A-Level?

Original post by JackHazard

What?
Reply 7

Thanks

Some of them outright demand it, and some of them just say "highly preferred" which boils down to: you better have a good reason for not doing it/it puts you at a disadvantage to other applicants who do offer it. You need to check with the exact courses - i.e. what branch of engineering do you want to go into.

Scholarships won't help you succeed in your degree, but Physics will, so I doubt they will accept it "in place" of it. It would make you stand out from other applicants who didn't have Physics, for sure.

Edit: I'd wager you might be more likely to get away with it by offering Further Maths (inc. M2 + M3 probably) than your current offerings. Not really sure though.
(edited 9 years ago)
Is it basic A* GCSE Physics or A-Level Physics you do a lot of??
I was hoping I would get an offer if I get the Arkwright Engineering Scholarship whilst I do A-Levels.

(I have no idea about the Engineering Degrees)

Thanks

Yeah I know its confusing lol. My course is equivalent to three A levels so yeah its more A level physics than GCSE
Reply 9

Thanks

Do you like buildings, cars, robots, chemicals or planes?
Reply 10
Original post by Sid99
Do you like buildings, cars, robots, chemicals or planes?

More like product design or computers or something like that.

Thanks
Reply 11
[video="youtube;ocqceS7KlzE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocqceS7KlzE[/video]

I think you'd need Physics at A - level unless you take a course with a foundation year :smile:

More like product design or computers or something like that.

Thanks
Would the Arkwright Engineering Scholarship have no advantage over other who do Physics??

Thanks

You probably wouldn't have a huge advantage. It's certainly no substitute for grades or Physics.
Reply 13
I'd say it's vital for most common forms of engineering
If you're not willing to do Physics at A level, I am afraid you will hate your engineering degree. Being completely honest, engineering is basically maths and physics. Yes, you will be at a disadvantage if you don't do it at A level and you might find yourself struggling for a place at a 'top' uni when you apply (you can immediately discard the very top unis though, as they won't take people who don't do Physics; remember you are competing with people who do Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Further Maths, out of which you only have 2). Not only will you struggle with the FM you haven't done during your first term at uni but with Physics too.
I'm sorry if I sound harsh. People had to be completely honest with me for me to realise what I had to do to do what I want to do (if that makes any sense lol)
Reply 15
Original post by The Clockwork Apple
Yes, you will be at a disadvantage if you don't do it at A level

Not really, a lot of the physics you need to know is taught from scratch as they know not everyone will come from the same background...that being said though it does make it a little bit more bearable if you do have some knowledge of Physics but I definitely wouldn't say it's the end of the world if you didn't.
You don't need it for Chemical Engineering. Just Chemistry and Maths. Though wonder why Chemical engineering has more physics in the course, not much actual chemistry.

Think you can do some civil engineering and electrical engineering courses without physics. Though some may state it is recommended but not mandatory.
Hey, I'm in my 2nd year of a Chemical Engineering degree and I didn't do Physics A Level. A quarter of my course didn't do Physics A level! You just need chemistry and math.

Chemistry is only about 1 module per year in my degree, so it's minimal! There's quite a bit of physics, but not thaaat much. More physics than chemistry though, however, if your math is good, you can definitely handle the physics! I didn't do Physics A level, and I really don't feel like I lost out! :smile: The course is about 65% math.

I wouldn't say that the people who did physics have the upper hand on my course. So I wouldn't worry too much about it. However, if you are applying to MechEng or BioMechEng, or ElecEng, then Physics is super imperative! :biggrin:

Good luck! :cool:

Quick Reply

Latest