I applied past the UCAS deadline on the 15th of Feb
I applied back at the start of dec and still not heard anything 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 383
Original post by LLa
Same situation! But I applied for MA psychology

I was MA I think as well :smile:
Reply 384
Has anyone with an engineering offer heard anything about a post-offer visit/open day? I'd be really keen to go but I haven't heard anything yet :/ my friend who has an offer for computer science has been invited to one already, which is slightly worrying me
Original post by LLa
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing! Maybe, the university of edinburgh is becoming less prestigious!

Since when has institutional prestige had anything to do with the conditions attached to offers made to prospective undergraduates who haven't completed their secondary education? Just sayin'...
Got my offer, Cambridge is my firm but either Edinburgh or York as my insurance. After visiting both I think I'll put York as my insurance.
Reply 387
Original post by benpringle
Got my offer, Cambridge is my firm but either Edinburgh or York as my insurance. After visiting both I think I'll put York as my insurance.

Why not edinburgh?
Original post by Aishj
Why not edinburgh?

York has a much better reputation for what I want to do and I much prefer it as a university in general for different reasons. Plus, a lot of people I know are at/going to York and I know very little people at Edinburgh. Great uni though, just not for me.
Conditional offer for psychology at Edinburgh, still waiting on hearing from QMU and Heriot Watt but think i will stick with Edinburgh only need 3B's on Arts and Humanities SWAP
York has a much better reputation for what I want to do and I much prefer it as a university in general for different reasons. Plus, a lot of people I know are at/going to York and I know very little people at Edinburgh. Great uni though, just not for me.

Since when did York get a "much better" reputation for music ?
Original post by watchingyouwatch
Since when did York get a "much better" reputation for music ?

Just does, always has.
Just does, always has.

says who ?

I am not a fan of league tables but they certainly don't say that so I just thought you could say exactly who says York is "much better"- besides you of course ...
Original post by watchingyouwatch
says who ?

I am not a fan of league tables but they certainly don't say that so I just thought you could say exactly who says York is "much better"- besides you of course ...

I'm not here for a debate, this is for people who got offers which I did. It's a known fact among music academics in Britain that York is a top notch debarment and that Edinburgh, although very good, isn't as strong in that particular field. York has better research, facilities, better graduate destinations, most distinguished lecturers and, despite what league tables say, has been known as a solid department for a long time. Edinburgh's degree used to be part of the Edinburgh College of Art before it integrated with the university and only recently has it seen prominence as a to department, which it is now, but it isn't as established as York.
I'm not here for a debate, this is for people who got offers which I did. It's a known fact among music academics in Britain that York is a top notch debarment and that Edinburgh, although very good, isn't as strong in that particular field. York has better research, facilities, better graduate destinations, most distinguished lecturers and, despite what league tables say, has been known as a solid department for a long time. Edinburgh's degree used to be part of the Edinburgh College of Art before it integrated with the university and only recently has it seen prominence as a to department, which it is now, but it isn't as established as York.

Well you don't have to debate if you don't want to

But Edinburgh University has had its first professor of music in 1839. They came under the umbrella of The Edinburgh College of Art after the merger. Saying something is a well known fact without any other evidence doesn't make it so. York University was formed in 1963....It is a great university with a good music department but you have provided no evidence to suggest its superiority and certainly not its superiority based on its age

Good Luck with Cambridge I hope you get in and enjoy it
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Polar2
Has anyone with an engineering offer heard anything about a post-offer visit/open day? I'd be really keen to go but I haven't heard anything yet :/ my friend who has an offer for computer science has been invited to one already, which is slightly worrying me

Yeah I have an offer and went to a visit day :smile: it was awesome the department and labs are really impressive and they showed us the layout of the five year masters to us, the department is only 20 ish minutes walk away from centre of town and halls, really recommend you going if you get the chance awesome city as well :P they don't call it the Athens of the North for nothing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sofiagiulia
Got an offer for Sociology! Does anyone know any contact hours estimates per week?

Congrats! I'm waiting to hear back from them- could I be nosey and ask what grades they asked for? I just wondered whether they actually ask for the "typical offer"grades quoted on the website. Where else have you applied? Edinburgh is the last of mine to get back to me!
Original post by Jemy
Is anyone else still waiting for an offer or refusal, because I have submitted my application two days before deadline and gotten an offer from each of the other 4 unis, but Edinburgh has not gotten back to me till now?! Does anybody have an idea wether this a good or bad sign?

I'm basically exactly the same! They sent an email saying that they wanted to reply to all applicants by the 31st of March...the wait shouldn't be much longer!
is it a joint degree if so they take longer as they leave them usually to last since it is considered by two departments together
Original post by clampi2004
is it a joint degree if so they take longer as they leave them usually to last since it is considered by two departments together

nope, just sociology! I think it's just because they have a lot of applicants, I don't know- hopefully will find out soon enough!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending