The Student Room Group

Am I the only one not believing in love?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RoyalMarine
so you can change girl every 6 months and that is called love?It really looks like just a word then.

OH MY GOD. I just said you don't have to love someone to **** them!

Posted from TSR Mobile
What a ridiculous suggestion.

Obviously love does exist - if it didn't, why would there be a term to describe it? You say to justify monogamy, but there are plenty of other things that could be used which wouldn't require the invention of a new term. And besides, if love wasn't real in this way, what is it that love poets write about? Nothing at all?

That seems unlikely.
"Love" is an endangered species nearing extinction. It is believed that today only 1% (or less) of the population have encountered this species. If you are lucky enough, you might be able to sight this species once in your lifetime from afar (with OBERWERK binoculars), although chances of sighting this species in Europe are 1:50000000000, therefore you might have to travel across the pond. You might as well have to go on a world trip.
Do, under no circumstance, I repeat, under no circumstance, confuse this species with the closely related cousin "lust", sharing similar characteristics (both originating from the genus lies ). Past accounts have proven these encounters to be fatal.

On his 1654 journey to the Agaloipagious Treitum islands, Sir Gnarles Cook Marvin closely observed these species and recorded his observations in his famous work called of "the Origin of lies".

Therefore equipped with this knowledge and the desire to save humankind, please strive to accomplish this mission. If in the unlikely event you do encounter the "real" species, please do not kill it!
Immediately inform all the "LPAOAES" (Love Protection Agency Of Already Extinct Species). Take selfies with the species and immediately post it on twitter and facebook.

The study of this species is extremely important for the advancement of science, research, and whether it will prove to have any benefits for humankind in the future. This species might hold the answer to all the deadly diseases afflicting mankind since centuries.
It also needs to be determined:
1)If the species is safe at all for humans
2)if it can be introduced into zoos to later introduce them back into the wild, through selective breeding.
(edited 9 years ago)
there are lots of terms that have been invented but don't exist in reality,for example god.

Right, okay, that's right. But unlike God, when people refer to love they are referring to something that actually exists. The emotional connection between a man and his wife is love, the emotional connection between a woman and her children is love, the emotional connection between children and their pets is love.

Unlike the term 'God', the term 'love' refers to something that exists and we can verify. So what's your problem?
I never used to believe in it. I used to laugh when watching films which contained themes of love. I never understood it and I didn't think it was real, but I was wrong. I found the perfect girl and I fell completely in love with her. I've never felt anything like this before. Thinking about someone all day long, every day, and feeling so much pain when she's not with me. I'm completely lost without her. Now I understand what it feels like to love someone and to have them love you back. It's an amazing thing, best thing that has ever happened to me. It's not something I can control, it controls me. I know I'll always be in love with her, she's the perfect girl.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Love... just a bunch of chemical signals. Not very romantic when thinking about it like that though.
being happy is independent from others.I can be happy but this doesn't prove the existance of love.If it has an expiration day it looks it's not real.

If you're trolling me you're doing a good job, because your inability to understand my points is really frustrating.
Reply 67
I don't believe in love between a man and woman. However I do love my family very much and they come before me always. When it comes to relationships I see a woman as simply a friend that satisfies my sexual needs. Makes me happy so that's all that matters.
Original post by FasterThanFTL
I never used to believe in it. I used to laugh when watching films which contained themes of love. I never understood it and I didn't think it was real, but I was wrong. I found the perfect girl and I fell completely in love with her. I've never felt anything like this before. Thinking about someone all day long, every day, and feeling so much pain when she's not with me. I'm completely lost without her. Now I understand what it feels like to love someone and to have them love you back. It's an amazing thing, best thing that has ever happened to me. It's not something I can control, it controls me. I know I'll always be in love with her, she's the perfect girl.

Posted from TSR Mobile

LMAO you won't be saying that when she inevitably cheats on and leaves you for a better guy.
I've heard that a lot of people mistaken dependency for love. Or maybe dependency is love? I don't know...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Silver Arrow
LMAO you won't be saying that when she inevitably cheats on and leaves you for a better guy.

Wow that's pessimistic! 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Paulska_
Love does exist, if you say you only see physical attraction the you're being quite shallow, look at people closely and you can see love in them. How could some breakups hurt so much if there's no such thing as love?

Love isn't saying 'I love you' all the time, it's small things, like helping each other when you most need it, just being there for others. I think as you mature you'll all come to see that love is real.

Also being in love has 0 to do with how 'ugly' a person is. If this is the case then why do people love their husbands/wives after they get burns all over them from a car crash or if they have a facial deformity. Love is most certainly NOT about looks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If i pay you, will you love me, or at least pretend?
Original post by Anonymous
If i pay you, will you love me, or at least pretend?

Hahaha, at least buy me dinner first! Lmao :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Paulska_
Hahaha, at least buy me dinner first! Lmao :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay are you anywhere near the South West of England?
Original post by Anonymous
Okay are you anywhere near the South West of England?

Nope :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 75
where?I don't notice it at all. All I witness is physical attraction and it's been the same for a while if Dickens didn't believe in it either

You think old sexless couples stay together because of physical attraction? What about asexuals?

Okay where are you then? I will genuinely pay you, if you love me.
I believe in love. :blush:
Reply 78
Original post by Maid Marian
I believe in a thing called love. :blush:

Just listen to the rhythm of my heart♫♪

Attachment not found

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Love is a bit of a difficult concept to be honest, what IS it? People say it's shown in many ways and there are many types, such as the way you love your pet and the way you love your favourite film or the way you love your significant other. Despite being in a 3 year relationship, I'm still trying to figure out what exactly it is, although I feel comfortable with my current idea of it, which isn't like what Hollywood films are pumping out.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 79
I find it just a word made up by human society to back monogamy

So... polygamy is completely devoid of this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending