The Student Room Group

Were you ever underestimated by your teachers?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
A level chem teacher predicted me an E.
I got an A.
And now I've got unconditionals at some awesome uni for chem!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DustToDust
My science teachers started asking me If I was having problems at home because I kept failing when I'd got an A in core the year before. I'm an extremely good night before/morning of crammer:smile:

scarily similar to me, i always woke up super early whenever i had an exam to get some last minute cramming in XD

Original post by karmacrunch
Was this quote to me too? (:
Posted from TSR Mobile

yep :tongue:
Had one of my teachers say to me "Haha can't believe your still in sixth form surprised you haven't been kicked out yet. You'll be lucky to be even scraping a C' infront of the whole staff room.

I got B's and A's at AS-level. = No Grade C. :redface:
It's so fulfilling proving people wrong :P
Reply 44
My science teachers were praying for me to pass my science GCSEs, I got 2 As and an A* in Physics
My maths tutor asked me a week before my final maths exam what I thought I'd get, I told her a B and she snorted, raised her eyebrows and said 'yeah right'. I went straight to my dad and told him to show her out the house, didn't say anything again to her until results day when I got my B
Can't remember anything from A Levels really
"If you don't step up, then you'll be useless at your GCSE's." Four A's and 5 B's not too bad. Then straight B's at A level, a good degree and straight into a job I like. I'll take that!
My GCSE French target was a C. Me and the teacher liked each other and weren't on bad terms, so it was just a minimum grade like targets are.

I got A*s in all coursework and 2xCs in the foundation exams. I got an A and couldn't believe it.

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
Original post by Nadine_08
Were you ever underestimated by your teachers but in your final exams you turned around and proved them wrong?

Also, have you ever underestimated yourself but ended up getting really good grades?

It will be interesting hearing some of your experiences. I need some inspiration. :smile:

i think i underestimated myself when my gcse targets were assigned at the beginning of yr10. the person who gave us all these targets, gave me a prediction of a B for gcse geography. i just accepted that as what i would get for a while but it was my geography teacher who told me to ignore that target cause he said i could easily get an A* and as i started getting A's and A*'s in assignments i believed it too and i ended up with an A* at the end of gcse geography, an achievement i am still very proud of.
I got 42% in my English prelim and I ended up getting a B in the end which I was so happy with. I also got predicated C's in a lot of subjects but ended up getting A's in the end because I was motivated to get better grades.
I remember my a level French teacher telling me I'd be lucky to scrape a C. I had to literally beg her to give be a B for my prediction so I'd be accepted into uni. Turns out I did get a high B, and got the highest grade in the year for my aural exam.. Ooh yeah!

Also in GCSE maths there was a lot of debate as to whether I should be allowed to even do the higher paper.. And ended up doing it and getting an A.
Reply 50
In my year 8 Latin test I got 15% in the Christmas test.

Then I got 68% (Roman history FTW) in the Summer exam!

Boy did I show her!
Reply 51
Were you ever underestimated by your teachers but in your final exams you turned around and proved them wrong?

Also, have you ever underestimated yourself but ended up getting really good grades?

It will be interesting hearing some of your experiences. I need some inspiration. :smile:

Ma teachers always said I'd bee on jobseeker's alloance ma entire life, but I get to clame ESA for ma dislexia. I get more monie this way so yes, they underestemated me :smile:
History teacher told me that I would fail, ended up getting 100% in every exam.
Year 10 science teachers put me in for foundation paper (before my Biology teacher campaigned against them to give me a chance in higher), ended up getting the best science grades in the year, then went on to study all three sciences at a-level and I'm now going to be studying biology at university. :smile:

Luckily I'm quite competitive and like to prove people wrong, but my brother received similar treatment and it ruined his confidence. Don't let pessimistic teachers put you down, use them to spur you on.
For some reason, and with no provocation that I knew of, my History and Physics teachers took an immediate disliking to me (for GCSE), and kept belittling me in class, marking my work very harshly compared to others, etc. When I got, in my mock exams, a C for both, I remember my History teach putting on my report 'I was relieved that ... achieved a grade C, albeit only just. He needs to up his game considerably if he wants to aim for a C in his GCSEs this summer.'

I ended up getting an A in History, and B in Physics!
Yep! Story of my life!

For GCSE, got told I wouldn't get above a C in sociology, in the end I achieved an A*. Similarly with food tech, and predicted no higher than a C, got an A in the end.

For Maths AS, I was told I would get an E if I was lucky and worked hard. Achieved a high B, my teacher was speechless!

One teacher literally told me to my face that I was going to fail everything.

I think it is better when teachers underestimate you as it motivates you to work harder and prove them wrong! If teachers overestimate you, then it could end badly and you could become complacent... (just my theory anyway, that has happened to a few people I know...)
Original post by LeaX
History teacher told me that I would fail, ended up getting 100% in every exam.
Year 10 science teachers put me in for foundation paper (before my Biology teacher campaigned against them to give me a chance in higher), ended up getting the best science grades in the year, then went on to study all three sciences at a-level and I'm now going to be studying biology at university. :smile:

Luckily I'm quite competitive and like to prove people wrong, but my brother received similar treatment and it ruined his confidence. Don't let pessimistic teachers put you down, use them to spur you on.

Wow what were the teachers thinking...Forgive my curiosity but why did they think like that? That's unbelievable.
No. I have only underestimated myself.
My GCSE History teacher hated me, she predicted me an E but I actually got an A*

Yes massively.. it could be partly because I only started working for my GCSE's right before my final exams :biggrin:
Example A) welsh teacher, tried to make me do foundation, told me I'd never pass welsh GCSE (I'm from England, all my family are english, and was doing first language). I laughed in her face on parents evening and came out with two B's! (I know that sounds rude but she was a really horrible person, basically a welsh nationalist and picked on me constantly.)

Example B) Biology teacher told me I was going to end up with a D in my exams, ended up getting in full marks in all of my biol GCSE exams :biggrin:

But yeah, they turned out right with my A/s though... those damn teachers. This year I'm actually working hard though, let's hope to prove them wrong this time :3 So of course you can do it!! Best of luck to you! Just remember to put the work in! :wink:
My school didn't want to let me sit the higher GCSE paper for English language stating, and I quote, that I don't have the academic ability to get above a grade D in English. Put up a huge fight so they could let me do the higher tier and they said they won't be offering me any help with the prep for the higher paper because it will simply be, and I quote, a waste of time. Ended up getting an A* in both English Language (full marks) and English lit. On results day I handed the English teacher who refused to help me my results paper and I basically wish I had recorded her face haha.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending