The Student Room Group

AS Biology,Chemistry,Maths and Further Maths

Could someone give me some advise to smash up those A to every single one of them above :smile: :smile::smile:
In the words of Tony Blair: past papers, past papers, past papers. To succeed at the sciences and maths all you can do is practise A LOT. Both from your textbooks and then from past papers. Learn all necessary equations early on, and learn to recognise patterns in questions that appear time and time again so you know how to answer the questions that keep appearing time and time again.
I did all of these except Bio last year and got As in all (>90%)
My boards were all AQA and my maths and FM applied modules were M1,D1 and S1
Chem:
I made posters for mechanisms, and a LOT of flash cards- for conditions and reagents in reactions, for formulae, and for definitions.
The key is just understanding exactly what happens :smile:
Physics:
Past papers are your best friend! Honestly, if you understand the concepts, all you'll have to revise is exam technique. For the long question (experiment) I wrote out all the possible ones we could get, and made sure I knew exactly what all the marks were for.
ISAs:
ISAs are love or hate. If you're very careful and are good at maths, you should be okay, but it's quite a fine line. Definitely practise all of the past papers; they are quite repetitive
Maths:
C1 builds on A* GCSE, so make sure your GCSE is 100% solid knowledge. Mostly quite straightforward.
C2 relies much more on "flair", as in sometimes it's difficult to find the right approach to a problem. This comes with experience, so past papers are key.
FM:
(assuming you're doing FP1) we were quite pushed for time, so make sure you're doing practise questions in your own time and constantly revising. There is a LOT to remember so practise is key! Make sure you know what's in the formula book and what isn't
Applied Modules:
M1 you really need to understand what's going on. If not, it's easy to get bogged down in numbers
S1 fairly straightforward, most of it is just plugging numbers into equations, but there are "explain" questions where you have to write things. Look at mark schemes so you know exactly what they're looking for
D1 memorise the algorithms, write them down in the exam, forget about it. :biggrin:

General: Be very careful in the exams- it's easy to lose a couple of marks here and there!

I am currently doing A2 Physics Chem Maths and Further so let me know if you need anything else :biggrin:
Just realised you don't do physics :tongue: ignore the physics in the above!!!
Haha thanks and can i ask one more irrelevant question.. Anyone got the app here for student room on iphone how do you post threads on app coz it brings me to the exact url on safari amd couldnt be bothered to post status on there

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest