The Student Room Group

NHS Graduate Management Training Scheme 2015

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know the actual exercises? Are we sitting a numeracy test?
N E waitlisters from HI been contacted?

Got offered an actual place on the scheme last year but it was too last minute and too far away and had to turn it down.
Then this year I didn't even get through interview- on the waitlist!!! so gutted but I am keeping fingers crossed that I get a call to attend assessment :-(
Let me rephrase - has anyone sat the NPHSTR Exam before? Does anyone know the format of the e-tray NHS uses?
Original post by Cyan004
This is mostly guess work. But 300 are through to the AC and they are split in accordance to how many spaces there are for each position. So there are 100 vacancies in total. The majority for GM (lets say 50) and less for the rest. So estimating (from things/rumours I've heard) 15 Health Info, 15 HR and 20 Finance.

If my estimates and calculations are correct, they'll interview 150 GMs, 45 HR, 45 HI and 60 F.

I would say your chances are quite high. Some people may of accepted other jobs by now or the 20th as lots of grad schemes finish by then. Some may not be able to make the date for personal reasons or other commitments. Some may just decide from the interview its not for them. And remember the 8 above you in the reserve list may not answer their phone in the x hours time slot or may not be able to do the date given to them. Just be really flexible, check your phone and you'll have a good chance. Good luck.:smile:

Research a smidgen harder, ie. using the FB page :wink:

From that, 100 General, 100 Finance, 60 HI and 30HR.

For my year (2014 intake) there were 102 jobs. Rough split was 50% General, 25% Finance, 15% HI and 10% HR (the last two I am less sure of). General is always half. Finance is usually always significantly less. I would be surprised if they were hiring the same amount of Finance as General trainees.
Reply 64
Has anyone from the FM scheme reserve list been contacted for the AC?
Reply 65
Hi, I am attending the one tomorrow as well. :smile:, Good luck!
Reply 66
AC's starting tomorrow eeek! It's getting real now. Good luck everyone and hope to see you all on the other side:biggrin:
Hey All,

I am due to attend the assessment centre and I am PANICKING!

I need some help please.

Looking at the Wendelstone Case Study, I don't understand what the arrows mean? I have tried to look on the internet and I am getting no where! Can anyone shed any light please?

Also when I look at the results on the Infection Control section - I do not understand the difference between total cases and No of cases?

Any help would be appreciated!
Reply 68
Original post by Tinsley
Research a smidgen harder, ie. using the FB page :wink:

From that, 100 General, 100 Finance, 60 HI and 30HR.

For my year (2014 intake) there were 102 jobs. Rough split was 50% General, 25% Finance, 15% HI and 10% HR (the last two I am less sure of). General is always half. Finance is usually always significantly less. I would be surprised if they were hiring the same amount of Finance as General trainees.

I'm impressed guestimates were pretty close :biggrin: I'm surprised they interview so many finance if they hire significantly less. I was told by the trainees at the interview it was split in accordance to vacancies. Finance must be a hard one to get into!

How did you find the 2014 AC. Is there any advice you would give? :smile:

Original post by skiesareblue
Hey All,

I need some help please.

Looking at the Wendelstone Case Study, I don't understand what the arrows mean? I have tried to look on the internet and I am getting no where! Can anyone shed any light please?

Also when I look at the results on the Infection Control section - I do not understand the difference between total cases and No of cases?

I assumed the small white arrows showed small increases/decreases from previous years/days/months and the more pronounced/bigger black arrows showed a greater change.

As for the infection control, I haven't had a chance to look at it yet (my AC isn't until the 20th) so I can't help you there sorry.

Don't panic. I know it easy to say but just breathe deeply. Your only of meant to look at the case study not memorise it. They will explain exactly what it means on the day and what they want you to do with it. Some information in the text may just be there to throw you. Just have an idea of what its about and where to find things. The best of luck!
hi dude. here's i got a source for management. take a look here aamgt.blogspot.com
Reply 70
Original post by skiesareblue
Hey All,

I need some help please.

Total cases refer to the number of actual cases that happened in the previous year (2014) and current year (2015) while no of cases is in respect of Rate per 100,000 bed days. whilst bed days is proportional or equal to number of bed in use multiplied by day/s of use.
Original post by Cyan004
I'm impressed guestimates were pretty close :biggrin: I'm surprised they interview so many finance if they hire significantly less. I was told by the trainees at the interview it was split in accordance to vacancies. Finance must be a hard one to get into!

How did you find the 2014 AC. Is there any advice you would give? :smile:

To be honest, without looking at the numbers I would have assumed it was done in proportion. Unless they are hiring the same amount of Finance as Generals this year. So we don't know either way I guess.

Cliche advice is the best I'm afraid. Be yourself, keep calm and remember to be confident. You're at the AC because you're good enough to be there, don't go trying to measure yourself against anybody else. There are different activities on the day so don't feel like you're a right off if you think you do disastrously at one. When myself and colleagues got feedback, I think it was quite usual some of us had done abysmal in one area, amazing in another and not too bad on the others type of thing. So no matter how tempted you feel, don't throw in the towel keep going and be optimistic :smile:
Hey, those who have done the assessment day already, was the assessment centre cool or warm?
Original post by Laura.Laurent
Hey, those who have done the assessment day already, was the assessment centre cool or warm?

Lol, what a random question. It was room temperature really, although you feel a bit warmer towards the ened because of the pressure of certain tasks.
Reply 74
Hi all

Just doing some last minute preparation for the A/C! For those that have done it, do you really need to know the NHS structure document well to succeed? It's getting me really confused! Also NHS challenges - is it just a general knowledge of things like funding pressure and sustainability or should we know things more detailed than that?

Any help would be great!

Original post by HilariousNinja
Lol, what a random question. It was room temperature really, although you feel a bit warmer towards the ened because of the pressure of certain tasks.

Thanks a lot! Haha I have a low basal body temp so don't want to be a shivering wreck on the day :colondollar:
Reply 76
Original post by Tinsley
To be honest, without looking at the numbers I would have assumed it was done in proportion. Unless they are hiring the same amount of Finance as Generals this year. So we don't know either way I guess.

Cliche advice is the best I'm afraid. Be yourself, keep calm and remember to be confident. You're at the AC because you're good enough to be there, don't go trying to measure yourself against anybody else. There are different activities on the day so don't feel like you're a right off if you think you do disastrously at one. When myself and colleagues got feedback, I think it was quite usual some of us had done abysmal in one area, amazing in another and not too bad on the others type of thing. So no matter how tempted you feel, don't throw in the towel keep going and be optimistic :smile:

Thanks for the advice :smile: Its nice to know you don't have to be perfect at everything (something I was really worried about :s-smilie: ). I think I know where my strengths and weaknesses lie, so I will just have to try my best to overcome them!
Reply 77
I'm currently studying nursing, but I'm thinking of going for a non-clinical role once I graduate. Do people think the scheme would look positively on someone like me who has had practical healthcare experience, but hasn't worked on the wards as an RN? I mean I think it would be a good background in many ways but I don't want to be seen as betraying nursing or something.
Original post by Raducan
I'm currently studying nursing, but I'm thinking of going for a non-clinical role once I graduate. Do people think the scheme would look positively on someone like me who has had practical healthcare experience, but hasn't worked on the wards as an RN? I mean I think it would be a good background in many ways but I don't want to be seen as betraying nursing or something.

It wouldn't go against you, I'm sure you have ward experience from placements etc? Lots of trainees have clinical backgrounds. Some fancy something different, others feel like they have more to give in non clinical areas :smile:
Reply 79
Original post by Tinsley
It wouldn't go against you, I'm sure you have ward experience from placements etc? Lots of trainees have clinical backgrounds. Some fancy something different, others feel like they have more to give in non clinical areas :smile:

Yep, by the time I graduate I will have worked on 5 or 6 different wards (I can repeat an earlier one for my final placement if I like it there) and had to write tons of essays about NHS policies, healthcare and stuff like that!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending