The Student Room Group

Best opportunities for History grad

I am graduating in July 2023 with a history BA and have applied to tonnes of marketing and project management roles but have been declined. I’m not entirely sure what I even want to do really. I definitely do not want to go into teaching or finance etc. I’m running out of ideas of what I could do. I love history but there’s not a lot in the field itself and I do not fit the usual criteria of people who work in the field. I was thinking of possibly working part time for a while to gain different experiences but the thought of working just horrifies me! I did some experience in Law and the people loved me and thought I should do a law conversion course but my heart just is not in it. I’m 21 and would love a relaxed working environment where everybody is chill. Any ideas?
(edited 1 year ago)
Not sure marketing and project management is that chill to be honest!

I am currently a project manager in the NHS and a history graduate from a very long time ago. I would recommend the NHS as it's a huge diverse organisation with many different opportunities and career strands. Training and talent departments are very supportive in my experience so, while not exactly chill, tend to be friendly and welcoming and accepting that life happens.

Personally I would start by thinking about what your values are and trying to find organisations that fit with what is important to you. Use LinkedIn to connect with people working at companies you'd like to work in. There's quite a good book called What Colour is Your Parachute? which seeks to help people find out what they want to do.
McDonalds has some sick opportunities
Reply 3
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
McDonalds has some sick opportunities

True that
Reply 4
Original post by SandraNG
Not sure marketing and project management is that chill to be honest!

I am currently a project manager in the NHS and a history graduate from a very long time ago. I would recommend the NHS as it's a huge diverse organisation with many different opportunities and career strands. Training and talent departments are very supportive in my experience so, while not exactly chill, tend to be friendly and welcoming and accepting that life happens.

Personally I would start by thinking about what your values are and trying to find organisations that fit with what is important to you. Use LinkedIn to connect with people working at companies you'd like to work in. There's quite a good book called What Colour is Your Parachute? which seeks to help people find out what they want to do.

Okay thank you so much! I’ll look into it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending