The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
=/ sucks tbh.. but lifes unfair... everything has flaws, this one though has lots
Reply 21
there are loads of un-true stories about this type of crap. Like the 'is this a question?' exam, where if you write 'is this an awnser?' you get 100%. the only exams ive heard that are a bit like this is if you apply for a masters/docterate at Oxford where you have to write essays on questions like 'define honour'
It's difficult to get a balance really. Yes, A-levels rely a lot on memory, which gives an unfair advantage to those not as good at the subject but good at cramming whilst disadvntaging those better at the subject but with a poor memory. However, unlike at GCSE, having a good memory, and therefore cramming, is no longer enough because you have to be able to apply the knowledge to the question as well, thus favouring those with a better understanding. The only real alternative to exams is coursework, which is also very controversial because it's easy to cheat and different centres have different policies on the amount of help and redrafting allowed. Personally I'd favour a modular system like A-levels, but with smaller tests all through the year and without enless resits, so people who are lazy and rely on cramming would suffer.
Reply 23
Na, i disagree that A levels are even remotely hard. Especially if your well taught. The cirriculum has become so resticted that all you have to do is tick the right boxes and your sorted.
Reply 24
kellywood_5
The only real alternative to exams is coursework, which is also very controversial because it's easy to cheat and different centres have different policies on the amount of help and redrafting allowed.

I have never cheated on my coursework or got my parents to do any of it for me. But the other day when i was my mentor meeting with my form tutor, i was shocked to this girl's english book. It had about 5 pages of her writing and then about 4 pages of her mum's writing! And this was a c/w draft!! I was like OMG! :eek: She wasnt even bothered about it either and the teacher hadnt commented on it!
Bexy*at*your*service
I have never cheated on my coursework or got my parents to do any of it for me. But the other day when i was my mentor meeting with my form tutor, i was shocked to this girl's english book. It had about 5 pages of her writing and then about 4 pages of her mum's writing! And this was a c/w draft!! I was like OMG! :eek: She wasnt even bothered about it either and the teacher hadnt commented on it!

Exactly, so some people do far better on their coursework than they actually deserve and honest people like us who don't cheat or people at really strict schools end up disadvantaged. That's why although continuous assessment is good, I'd definitely do it in the form of regular tests throughout the year rather than coursework.
Reply 26
Bull****, continuous assessment is crap. My teachers all thought i was amazing becasue i answered questions in class and did some storming homework essays. Other people did too, and so on paper we would look the same, the difference is i got the highest history score in the college and they never, so we are not the same.
Consie
Bull****, continuous assessment is crap. My teachers all thought i was amazing becasue i answered questions in class and did some storming homework essays. Other people did too, and so on paper we would look the same, the difference is i got the highest history score in the college and they never, so we are not the same.

Did you actually read my post at all? I said I'd use continuous assessment in the form of exams that were set regularly throughout the course, not class participation and homework. That way, the people who work hard all the time would be rewarded as long as they actually knew their stuff as well and it wouldn't rely so much on memory, but the differentiator would still be exams.
It's flawed: but what else would one propose?
Reply 29
Put it this way mate, if you've any intelligence at all, you will learn to play the system, that's what it's all about :smile:
Reply 30
damn straight home boy!
Reply 31
but the main point is...in employment your nt gna revise every night are you?...therefore ppl who are average but work really hard get on my nerves as they end up in gd jobs.

i think its better if the person is slightly lazy but has better knowledge of a certain field.
Reply 32
Isnt it luck of the questions?
Reply 33
EconomyMan
but the main point is...in employment your nt gna revise every night are you?...therefore ppl who are average but work really hard get on my nerves as they end up in gd jobs.

i think its better if the person is slightly lazy but has better knowledge of a certain field.

I disagree. Hard working people normally enjoy thier job more, and get more job satisfaction. This is shown in any workplace or schools that you go to. Also, it shows commitment and the ability to stride through any difficulties you are faced with. If they get good jobs, and are of average intelligence, they deserve the best jobs in the world. Bright people who are lazy are stupid because they do not take advantage of their ability. People do not deserve great jobs if they dont work for it. I think you wanted to start an arguement, it hasnt worked :rolleyes:
Bexy*at*your*service
I disagree. Hard working people normally enjoy thier job more, and get more job satisfaction. This is shown in any workplace or schools that you go to. Also, it shows commitment and the ability to stride through any difficulties you are faced with. If they get good jobs, and are of average intelligence, they deserve the best jobs in the world. Bright people who are lazy are stupid because they do not take advantage of their ability. People do not deserve great jobs if they dont work for it. I think you wanted to start an arguement, it hasnt worked :rolleyes:

Hear hear :congrats: Bright people who are lazy get on my nerves because they're so arrogant that they think they can just coast through life without putting in any effort and still repaing the benefits. This may work in our flawed exam system, but I doubt it would work in the workplace. I'd much rather employ an average but enthusiastic and hardworking person I could rely on to always stick to deadlines and do their best than a brighter person who'd slack off because they'd assume they didn't need to work.
Reply 35
kellywood_5
Hear hear :congrats: Bright people who are lazy get on my nerves because they're so arrogant that they think they can just coast through life without putting in any effort and still repaing the benefits. This may work in our flawed exam system, but I doubt it would work in the workplace. I'd much rather employ an average but enthusiastic and hardworking person I could rely on to always stick to deadlines and do their best than a brighter person who'd slack off because they'd assume they didn't need to work.

Well said :king1:
If the system is flawed then play it, walk out with 5A's, go to Oxbridge, get a 1st and stop bloody complaining. This isnt aimed at anyone in particular, but if you find the exams easy and can do them with a days revision then good luck to you.

Latest

Trending

Trending