The Student Room Group

Why does my boyfriend's brother ignore me?

Scroll to see replies

Just keep saying "hi" to him so at least you are being polite. It's not about you, it's about him (in some way, and you may never find out what).
Original post by steadmusic
I kinda want pics to see how cute you actually are.
The fun side of me wants to find out if you're actually quite pretty/attractive and the dude is just a lil jealous lol

Ahaha awh! Well, not to sound vain or whatever. But I don't think i'm "cute" personally but a lot of people tell me I am ahaha it's because i'm short and i'm just a genuinely happy/smiley person I guess :h:

ahaha well, who knows! maybe you'l never find out who I really am, or maybe you will LOOL :giggle:
Original post by Crumpet1
Just keep saying "hi" to him so at least you are being polite. It's not about you, it's about him (in some way, and you may never find out what).

I'm trying too, but he still just kinda shrugs me off.. I know I need to work on it though! :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Hmmm good points.. but he's got no reason to not like me considering he doesn't know me..

maybe he thinks he's missed his chance? It's quite awkward to introduce yourself to someone who has been coming to your house everyday so late.
Original post by DErasmus
maybe he thinks he's missed his chance? It's quite awkward to introduce yourself to someone who has been coming to your house everyday so late.

Yeah.. I guess so :/
Me and my boyfriend have been together for a nearly a year now. His brother is the same age as me and my boyfriend is two years older. His brother was in my year at school and also in the same college (at university now) I've only spoke to him once (had nothing to do with him all through highscool) that was when I was in my first year at college (year 12) and he only asked me about one of my friends.

I'm always around my boyfriend's house his other family members like me a lot and his brother just always ignores me. He doesn't even look at me. I've tried speaking to him and he totally blanks me. Like I never even said anything or, like I wasn't there at all. I went out for a meal with his family about two weeks ago and I was walking downstairs with my boyfriend and he came past, totally blanked me and said sup to my boyfriend. I just couldn't believe the rudeness! The whole night he avoided me as well, spoke to every single person except me.

My boyfriend kept asking me if I was okay and I just said yeah, of course I am. I just don't want to cause conflict because at the end of the day, it's his brother and it's not right for me to cause arguments etc.

Like I've said, I've tried speaking to him and nothing! So what on earth is his problem?! I just don't know how to tackle this situation at all :frown: because, like I've said, he's only spoke to me once, so it's not like he knows me? And, I've never done anything wrong! So I could do with some advice, thanks!

The truth is that your boyfriend's brother likes you. Believe it or not.
He doesn't want to speak to you because he's pissed that you chose his brother over him. He can't be mad at his brother because well it's his brother but he'll sure as hell be mad as hell at you.
Ignore him. That'll make him want to talk to you. Trust me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dontbetheprey
The truth is that your boyfriend's brother likes you. Believe it or not.
He doesn't want to speak to you because he's pissed that you chose his brother over him. He can't be mad at his brother because well it's his brother but he'll sure as hell be mad as hell at you.
Ignore him. That'll make him want to talk to you. Trust me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's just honestly really hard to believe! Like it's hard to even think about that ahaha the thing is he never spoke to me or got to know me so it was his fault really. And it's not my fault that I fell in love with my boyfriend and not him but ah well! And that's a good point, thanks!
Reply 87
It's just honestly really hard to believe! Like it's hard to even think about that ahaha the thing is he never spoke to me or got to know me so it was his fault really. And it's not my fault that I fell in love with my boyfriend and not him but ah well! And that's a good point, thanks!

Could also be that he's jealous of "the hold" you have over his brother or so he perceives.

Is he in a relationship with anyone? Maybe jealous that his brother has less time for him or that he thinks you have more influence over his brother than he does or that you are an unhealthy (as in don't do stuff he thinks is right) influence and so on.

Might not be down to who you are personally but the position you hold or the influence you have.

Could be that he gets grief off his family who might drop comments to him like

"why can't you get a lovely girlfriend like "insert your name OP"?" and he's just sick of the background pressure which would cause a dislike.
Original post by Folion
Could also be that he's jealous of "the hold" you have over his brother or so he perceives.

Is he in a relationship with anyone? Maybe jealous that his brother has less time for him or that he thinks you have more influence over his brother than he does or that you are an unhealthy (as in don't do stuff he thinks is right) influence and so on.

Might not be down to who you are personally but the position you hold or the influence you have.

Could be that he gets grief off his family who might drop comments to him like

"why can't you get a lovely girlfriend like "insert your name OP"?" and he's just sick of the background pressure which would cause a dislike.

No, he's not in a relationship and I make sure that my boyfriend and him have as much time together as possible :smile: and maybe..
maybe he is just scared that you will break his brothers heart again..?
Original post by glueless12
maybe he is just scared that you will break his brothers heart again..?

I wouldn't dream of doing that. And hopefully, one day, he'll realise this..
Me and my boyfriend have been together for a nearly a year now. His brother is the same age as me and my boyfriend is two years older. His brother was in my year at school and also in the same college (at university now) I've only spoke to him once (had nothing to do with him all through highscool) that was when I was in my first year at college (year 12) and he only asked me about one of my friends.

I'm always around my boyfriend's house his other family members like me a lot and his brother just always ignores me. He doesn't even look at me. I've tried speaking to him and he totally blanks me. Like I never even said anything or, like I wasn't there at all. I went out for a meal with his family about two weeks ago and I was walking downstairs with my boyfriend and he came past, totally blanked me and said sup to my boyfriend. I just couldn't believe the rudeness! The whole night he avoided me as well, spoke to every single person except me.

My boyfriend kept asking me if I was okay and I just said yeah, of course I am. I just don't want to cause conflict because at the end of the day, it's his brother and it's not right for me to cause arguments etc.

Like I've said, I've tried speaking to him and nothing! So what on earth is his problem?! I just don't know how to tackle this situation at all :frown: because, like I've said, he's only spoke to me once, so it's not like he knows me? And, I've never done anything wrong! So I could do with some advice, thanks!

Its obvious that he clearly fancies you! He might have had feelings for you but his brother took you away before he could express himself!

Posted from TSR Mobile
sounds like he fancies you.
To be honest i think that's the most likely reason. some guys will ignore and do their best to avoid girls that they like who are unavailable - to avoid the pain of the being unavailable. especially if you fancy a girl that's dating your brother or close friend. some guys may feel guilty for having feelings for a girl their brother or close friend is dating, it's awkward, you dont want to be too friendly for fear of making anyone suspicious, so its easier to just avoid the person.
his behaviour is very immature though. if you're both in uni then that makes you 18+, no way for a grown man to be acting, he's acting like a sour 5 year old.
personally, if i have feelings for a girl thats unavailable then i will avoid her the best i can to supress those feelings. i wouldn't rudely blank or ignore her if she spoke to me though.
Reply 93
I think, either he likes you or is shy.
Original post by insert-username
sounds like he fancies you.
To be honest i think that's the most likely reason. some guys will ignore and do their best to avoid girls that they like who are unavailable - to avoid the pain of the being unavailable. especially if you fancy a girl that's dating your brother or close friend. some guys may feel guilty for having feelings for a girl their brother or close friend is dating, it's awkward, you dont want to be too friendly for fear of making anyone suspicious, so its easier to just avoid the person.
his behaviour is very immature though. if you're both in uni then that makes you 18+, no way for a grown man to be acting, he's acting like a sour 5 year old.
personally, if i have feelings for a girl thats unavailable then i will avoid her the best i can to supress those feelings. i wouldn't rudely blank or ignore her if she spoke to me though.

Oh gosh.. it seems like a lot of people are thinking he likes me then.. but yeah, I can understand if he felt guilty etc. for liking me because at the end of the day I am dating his brother.. but like you said, he is very immature and there's no need for it. A simple Hi, would be nice every once in a while..
Reply 95
Oh gosh.. it seems like a lot of people are thinking he likes me then.. but yeah, I can understand if he felt guilty etc. for liking me because at the end of the day I am dating his brother.. but like you said, he is very immature and there's no need for it. A simple Hi, would be nice every once in a while..

I know this sounds odd but it is possible to be attracted to somebody and yet not actually like them. Such conflicting emotions can result in some pretty bizarre behaviour.
Original post by Folion
I know this sounds odd but it is possible to be attracted to somebody and yet not actually like them. Such conflicting emotions can result in some pretty bizarre behaviour.

Yeah that's true actually! I know exactly what you mean.. and I guess so :/
I'm just so confused. If he does secretly want to be with me, he'd at least be nice...surely? Not totally ignore me? I just highly doubt he likes me though considering how he's being :/

Not necessarily, guys are scared of their own feelings and afraid people can look at them and see their feelings.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending