The Student Room Group

How would you fund uni education?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kallisto
So young students who cannot afford the last school years are not able to get A-levels? do you tell me that the education system in the UK is structured elitist where students with best money source get the best degrees?

No, you do not have to pay to take A levels.

The government makes lots of money available for students and doesn't require many of them to pay it back. No-one (except maybe people with parents whose income disqualifies them from a sufficiently large maintenance loan but who won't support them financially) is barred by financial considerations from continuing in education until they have a degree.
Original post by Aph
No it is until 19 which meand you get nor re-sit at A-level for free.

Original post by Arkasia
...what?

A-levels are for 17/18 year olds. Education is free until 18, and compulsory till 17. University is generally 18-21.

I guess something is wrong in understanding. Let me explain! in other countries students are going to school until 18 or 19 instead of 17 or 18 to achieve the highest degree at the end (in Germany for instance).

tuition fees means to pay money for going to university instead of going to school? if that is the case, I have misunderstood this discussion. As a foreigner I confuse some terms now and then...
No tuition fees work in Scotland ... But mind you Scotland has less unis and less people
I guess something is wrong in understanding. Let me explain! in other countries students are going to school until 18 or 19 instead of 17 or 18 to achieve the highest degree at the end (in Germany for instance).

tuition fees means to pay money for going to university instead of going to school? if that is the case, I have misunderstood this discussion. As a foreigner I confuse some terms now and then...

Yeah, that's what tuition fees are here, and no worries. :smile:
Tuition fees at £9,000? That's absolutely outrageous. The cap should be lowered to £4,000 because I do understand that there is a cost of providing the tuition and funding the university, but to have tuition fees so high (£27,000 for a 3 year course) in comparison with other European countries is ridiculous.

Germany doesn't have tuition fees and Ireland doesn't charge tuition fees to EU students, albeit you must pay a student contribution charge set by the government every year (~€2,500). If the UK government is insistent of having high tuition fees, then they should allow students to take out student loans to go to other universities in Europe. This already exists in Northern Ireland, since you receive tuition/maintenance loans if you go to any ​university in the Republic of Ireland.
Original post by Arkasia
Yeah, that's what tuition fees are here, and no worries. :smile:

Yes University is generally 18-21 but
16-19 education is free? There's so many people doing Three Years of Sixth-Form/College and/or retaking their A-Levels...... So its fcompulsory until 17 but free until you are 19 after nineteen...

Hence that's why their is a 16-19 year old bursary??
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by stewarte
Tuition fees at £9,000? That's absolutely outrageous. The cap should be lowered to £4,000 because I do understand that there is a cost of providing the tuition and funding the university, but to have tuition fees so high (£27,000 for a 3 year course) in comparison with other European countries is ridiculous.

Is it? You know a lot of the time they cost more than £9,000 to provide, right? Why do other European countries (which for the most part don't have universities as good as ours) get to decide what is appropriate to charge students?

You have free education until you finish A levels, and then government will lend you money, allow you to pay it back very slowly, and often not require repayment at all, to continue. If you are 'outraged' by how badly treated by the system you think you are you might want to have a think about how good you have it. Other people are paying enormous sums of money for you to stay in education for the first 21 years of your life.

No, you were right
Original post by elmosandy
No, you were right

No, he wasn't. He confused A-levels with University degrees.
Reply 29
It's impossible for the UK to both have a free higher education system and moderate taxes (they are higher on the continent). The other solution would be to reduce the number of students continuing to universities, as they do in Germany, with good vocational degrees offered by the Fachhochschulen, and apprenticeship.
Reply 30
I think that (1) tuition fees should be lowered and (2) arts subjects should cost less. At the moment students are paying £9000 a year for lecturers and books, whilst their STEM counterparts have laboratories, scientific equipment, etc.
How did they used to fund it in the past?

Probably opening up a can of ignorance here, but Scotland seems to manage it on exactly the same tax rate as we have. Where are Scotland saving that money from, and could we do it? I don't know the answer, or if it would be desirable, but Scotland don't seem to be overtly short of anything. They even give free tuition to EU members.
Original post by Arkasia
No, he wasn't. He confused A-levels with University degrees.

Oh I see :smile:
Reply 33
I think there should be a money back guarantee for university especially when we pay so much.
Reply 34
Original post by seaholme
How did they used to fund it in the past?

Probably opening up a can of ignorance here, but Scotland seems to manage it on exactly the same tax rate as we have. Where are Scotland saving that money from, and could we do it? I don't know the answer, or if it would be desirable, but Scotland don't seem to be overtly short of anything. They even give free tuition to EU members.

Petrol?
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Is it? You know a lot of the time they cost more than £9,000 to provide, right? Why do other European countries (which for the most part don't have universities as good as ours) get to decide what is appropriate to charge students?

You have free education until you finish A levels, and then government will lend you money, allow you to pay it back very slowly, and often not require repayment at all, to continue. If you are 'outraged' by how badly treated by the system you think you are you might want to have a think about how good you have it. Other people are paying enormous sums of money for you to stay in education for the first 21 years of your life.

You're saying that because our universities are better, we should charge more? I don't think that's how it works. The government talks about keeping people in education bla bla bla, yet the tuition fees are so high which have discouraged people from going to university because they know that they'll be in so much debt. I know that you don't have to repay until you get to a certain threshold, but it still applies.

I recognise the cost of tuition to the universities and the government but I don't see why the tuition fees are so high, surely the government should subsidise to encourage people to go to university? Look at other European countries and tertiary education there before you defend the UK government.
Original post by Josb
Petrol?

The income of each nation becomes national income, so particular revenue streams make no difference. The difference is in the spending. Just not sure what they spend less on.
I think it's ridiculous tbh that people think tuition fees should be scrapped. Higher education isn't some sort of right that everyone deserves to get for free. If you want university education, you go out and get it! You can't rely on the government to provide you with everything!!

They're already highly subsidised, and no where near as high as the fees in America, so idk why people are complaining...
Reply 38
There is really nothing special that makes degrees any different from GCSEs or A levels. Since doing GCSEs and A levels are free for most students, degrees should be the same. As to funding, its up to the voter to decide how much they want to spend.
the problem with high fees, is that a significant number of people won't ever pay their loan back because the current system scraps the loan after 30 years and many people won't earn over the threshold at which you start paying the loan back. IMO, it would better to charge all students a smaller amount, have fewer degree courses, make it more difficult to get a uni place, stop giving loans to EU students, encourage/incentivise parents to start saving for their childs' education from birth.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending