The Student Room Group

Gcse options help?

Hey everyone,
Im 13 years old and currently choosing my gcse options, i dont know what im going to do when im older, i decided to be a nursery teacher but not so sure because there isnt much pay. so far ive chosen: history,french,child development just need one more if you could help me out please. and also could you tell me any advice on what ive chosen and if they are good or bad.
here are the options you can help me decide from:
English Literature
business studies
child development
health and social care
media studies
sociology
public services

thankyou so much to everyone xo

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Depends what you're looking to do at college but if I had to pick I'd choose English literature. I did it from year 9 in high school and chose it for an AS level, it was the best class by far.
Reply 2
Original post by blubear
Depends what you're looking to do at college but if I had to pick I'd choose English literature. I did it from year 9 in high school and chose it for an AS level, it was the best class by far.

im not sure what to do at college and is it a hard subject and what types of jobs could you get with it
Reply 3
Original post by Maryam_13
im not sure what to do at college and is it a hard subject and what types of jobs could you get with it

English literature, along with history, is a subject whereby the skills learned are the ones applicable to the job market/ future careers etc. rather that the texts studied. At high school I wouldn't be too worried about jobs.
If you can interpret different things and don't mind there not being a definite answer then English lit isn't hard. Some find the lack of definition hard to grasp.
Reply 4
Hey everyone,
Im 13 years old and currently choosing my gcse options, i dont know what im going to do when im older, i decided to be a nursery teacher but not so sure because there isnt much pay. so far ive chosen: history,french,child development just need one more if you could help me out please. and also could you tell me any advice on what ive chosen and if they are good or bad.
English Literature
business studies
child development
health and social care
media studies
sociology
public services

I'd go for breadth if I were you.
I had to do English Lit as it was compulsory. I didn't mind it but didn't love it either. I'd guess you could always pick it up at AS level. Its very wise of you to chose a language!
I'd probably chose business..there a lots of transferable skills from that. If you're going to do be working with children, sociology might be worth considering. But you don't need a GCSE to do it at A Level.
Hope I've helped
Reply 5
Original post by o-glez
I'd go for breadth if I were you.
I had to do English Lit as it was compulsory. I didn't mind it but didn't love it either. I'd guess you could always pick it up at AS level. Its very wise of you to chose a language!
I'd probably chose business..there a lots of transferable skills from that. If you're going to do be working with children, sociology might be worth considering. But you don't need a GCSE to do it at A Level.
Hope I've helped

oh okay so in what subjects do you need a gcse to do it at A level?
And was english literature hard,
Reply 6
Original post by blubear
English literature, along with history, is a subject whereby the skills learned are the ones applicable to the job market/ future careers etc. rather that the texts studied. At high school I wouldn't be too worried about jobs.
If you can interpret different things and don't mind there not being a definite answer then English lit isn't hard. Some find the lack of definition hard to grasp.

so what range of subjects are good for a good career in the future?
do you think the subjects ive chosen so far are good?
Reply 7
oh okay so in what subjects do you need a gcse to do it at A level?
And was english literature hard,

Its better to look at local college websites and see what their entry requirements are. They can vary from college to college. But I can guarantee you'll need a GCSE in french to do A Level. And I should imagine you'll need a GCSE in History to do that at A Level. I did Psychology and PE at college but had GCSEs in neither.

You'll spend a lot of time analysing and discussing poetry and some 'classic' novels, and a Shakespearian play. I did To Kill a Mockingbird and Romeo and Juliet. I volunteer at a school now and they've just done Of Mice and Men in the Y10 GCSE class. It wasn't particularly difficult. I didn't really like my Y10 teacher, but I began to like it more in Y11 when we changed teachers. If you're good and English and find it easy, you'll most likely find English Lit similar. Not sure if I've really answered your question there haha
To me it seems strange English Literature is an optional rather than an obligatory subject. As far as I know this is unusual and I see it as a vital subject, hence I'd recommend you choose that. History, French and English Literature are all very useful subjects that serve as a great foundation for pretty much any A-levels you might want to take after. For the other subjects you have listed, by all means choose one if they interest you a lot but they aren't going to be of particular use as they could all be taken at A-level with no GCSE, whereas this would be really difficult and maybe even not allowed for the first three subjects I mentioned.
Reply 9
so what range of subjects are good for a good career in the future?
do you think the subjects ive chosen so far are good?

To be honest, most jobs aren't going to care what GCSEs you have done. They only care about you having a C in English Language and Maths.

If you think you might want to go into childcare or something similar, maybe have a look at college courses to see if they say you need to have done a particular GCSE to get onto the course. It has been a long time since I applied to college, so I don't really remember the requirements for courses.

If you aren't sure what you want to do at college, try and choose a good range of subjects, but also make sure you enjoy it. There is no point choosing English Literature if you can't stand reading, for example.
Reply 10
Original post by o-glez
Its better to look at local college websites and see what their entry requirements are. They can vary from college to college. But I can guarantee you'll need a GCSE in french to do A Level. And I should imagine you'll need a GCSE in History to do that at A Level. I did Psychology and PE at college but had GCSEs in neither.

You'll spend a lot of time analysing and discussing poetry and some 'classic' novels, and a Shakespearian play. I did To Kill a Mockingbird and Romeo and Juliet. I volunteer at a school now and they've just done Of Mice and Men in the Y10 GCSE class. It wasn't particularly difficult. I didn't really like my Y10 teacher, but I began to like it more in Y11 when we changed teachers. If you're good and English and find it easy, you'll most likely find English Lit similar. Not sure if I've really answered your question there haha

Thankyou so much x You have answered my question and i really appreciate it
Reply 11
Thankyou so much x You have answered my question and i really appreciate it

You're welcome! Feel free to PM me if you want anymore advice. A lot of kids your age at the school I'm based at are asking me so I'm used to it haha
Hey everyone,
English Literature
business studies
child development
health and social care
media studies
sociology
public services

English Literature: all of the other subjects are rather 'soft', and are not very highly regarded by employers or universities.
Reply 13
Can anyone tell me If French,History,English Literature and Child development are good gcses to pick and please give me any tips and advice. the other subjects are listed above so you can recommend me on them aswell.
Love you all and thanks for helping xxx
Reply 14
Can anyone tell me If French,History,English Literature and Child development are good gcses to pick and please give me any tips and advice. the other subjects are listed above so you can recommend me on them aswell.

Doing any kind of MFL is a really good idea. So definitely do French. I didn't know there was a Child Development GCSE. I've got a psychology degree and did a bit of it, so I can predict what you might study. You might look at things to do with attachment, maybe neuronal/ brain development, maybe language development too

I studied French and History at GCSE (and A Level) and both are extremely rewarding subjects: English Literature is also a great subject to study (according to friends), especially with History and Modern Languages. I personally do not know anything about Child Development (it's not offered at my school), but having looked at your other options, it seems to be the subject that is of most use to you.
when choosing your subjects, you need to be sure that you enjoy studying them, and that you will be happy to study them for 2 years.
Reply 16
Original post by a320airbus97
I studied French and History at GCSE (and A Level) and both are extremely rewarding subjects: English Literature is also a great subject to study (according to friends), especially with History and Modern Languages. I personally do not know anything about Child Development (it's not offered at my school), but having looked at your other options, it seems to be the subject that is of most use to you.
when choosing your subjects, you need to be sure that you enjoy studying them, and that you will be happy to study them for 2 years.

yes i do actually enjoy them and im happy to study them for 2 years. what do you mean by rewarding? and what jobs have you got from those subjects
Reply 17
Hey everyone,
Is History hard? And what about French? because i feel ive chosen all the hard subjects:confused:
Reply 18
Hey everyone,
Is History hard? And what about French? because i feel ive chosen all the hard subjects:confused:

Most find French to be easier than Spanish, but I found my Spanish GCSE to be easier. You'll basically go into a bit more detail in the grammar and learn a few more tenses. Its not really that difficult. Like with any subject, you only get out what you put in. You'll have to do a short speaking exam but it really isn't difficult.
Reply 19
Original post by Mr...
English Lit can't be seriously an option :lolwut:

I didn't do it....

Quick Reply

Latest