The Student Room Group

Whats the most stupid rule your school has?

Scroll to see replies

Can't go to lessons drunk. What kind of ridiculousness?
you get 'invited' to 'compulsory' sessions after school if your teachers think you can get a higher grade even if you are trying your best-if you don't attend, you get a detention which you have to go to
Original post by Alicemidgetgem
you get 'invited' to 'compulsory' sessions after school if your teachers think you can get a higher grade even if you are trying your best-if you don't attend, you get a detention which you have to go to

Reading this thread I feel like my school was actually pretty good with its rules.

Do people ever rebel and simply ignore it? Does it get enforced? I wouldn't have thought they'd even be allowed to do that.
The '6-inch' rule..
In my school, you can't chew gum or else you're gonna get a detention. Even during break, lunch or those after school clubs.

P.S.

Sorry for the horrible grammar :frown:
Original post by Firenze26
In my school, you can't chew gum or else you're gonna get a detention. Even during break, lunch or those after school clubs.

P.S.

Sorry for the horrible grammar :frown:

To be honest I think this is fair enough, before this was enforced in my school there was literally gum stuck everywhere. It was disgusting :frown:
I remember at primary school one teacher used to take a chocolate bar out onto the yard when he was on duty, following his lead some children began taking a similar snack out at playtime and got told off by another teacher. When we complained to him it wasn't fair, he stopped taking snacks out.

My Catholic secondary had the terms somewhere in the school journals and planners we got given saying "On condition of entry to xxxxx you and your parents agreed to (The terms seemed reasonable)

The mobile rules seem over the top nowadays but I agree that you cannot have them disturbing lessons all the time.

The funniest story regarding mobiles I had at secondary was when I was in 6th form. A friend had found out that morning she'd been appointed Head Girl, and was naturally really thrilled to get it (as she never thought she stood a chance) and when she phoned her mum a teacher walked past, and waited until she finished and didn't take the phone off her but said she should consider resigning as head girl.

Re uniforms - we had to ask permission if we wanted to take our jumpers off, but if there was a smiley face outside the Deputy Headmasters office window we didn't need to ask permission.

Just before I left secondary in Y11 to do my GCSEs the school changed it's uniform to allow students to wear a polo shirt instead of the usual shirt and tie. When I asked one of the senior teachers what the stance was on the Year 11s she replied that if they weren't buying a polo shirt, then they'd need to wear the shirt and tie. When a group of us spoke to our Head of Year saying that we didn't think it was worth buying one since we were leaving in two weeks , he offered to speak with the senior management about it and we managed to get a good compromise that meant we were allowed to forgo the top button and tie, as long as we all agreed to wear shirt and tie for the leavers mass.
Original post by BA98
Guys i'm 15 going 16 and my parents never let me go out unless it's school or church, i always get a's and a*'s in my examinations with the rare B. I've only ever stepped into a friends house once which was for a friends christmas party which my mum only allowed me to attend as the parent seemed so nice (she was white) and till that day i've never stepped foot in a friends house from school not even the one's she met i can't even go out without her. I ask her to go cinema and she says "will there be any hanky panky" and i'm there just thinking what the actual fu*k, my mum is so awkward i mean i'm a active participant in school, being head boy, and the thing is my mum actually called a friend of mine through my phone to talk to her, a girl by the way, and she made me sit there through it, she even demanded she speak to the parents just because i spoke to the girl "more than five times a week" which would "affect my brain" she even threatens to send me to Africa as i'm apparently to rude because i say no, i don't want to go somewhere as i have work to do.
Guys please help me i've tried everything even my dad tries to tell her to give me at least some degree of freedom, i've tried so many websites for advice, even my friends say they pray for me, it's gotten that 'deep' i seriously sometimes feel like just sleeping forever because all i ever do is wake up, go to school, come home, do more work, do chores, bathe and care for little brother and little sister, then sleep and repeat.

This might sound odd but she is doing this for your own benefit. Although its ridiculously excessive, she doesn't want you to mix in with the wrong crowds or chase girls judging by the looks of it. Maybe one day you will see that it might pay off when you get the grades etc but i don't know you personally or anything but that is what i fell your mother is trying to do based on what you said.
It's just ridiculous in every manner.
So no need to elaborate.
Minorities of the teachers are rather poor in terms of teaching.
Original post by TheTechN1304
yeah :P

We have other animals like wallabies, flamingos and some south American birds as well, but they're inside an enclosure. The peacocks are the only ones which can walk around the school.

Do you by any chance go to whitgift?:L
Original post by saratheawesome
Do you by any chance go to whitgift?:L

how do you know the school :eek:
Reply 191
Original post by Sloe&AppleJelly
Have you tried speaking to someone in school about it, such as a school nurse or counsellor? Is there someone there who you could ask to speak with your mum and who she'd actually listen to? You need to explain how unhappy you are, and how being isolated and controlled is actually negatively affecting you on an emotional level. You need someone to explain to her how you're almost an adult and she needs to let go. Maybe also explain that the more unhappy you are, the more likely it is that your work ethic will slip. Independence, the ability to adapt to situations, and the gain of wider experiences than school and church are essential in being a fully functioning adult. How can you function in a society you've barely been able to be a part of? Seriously, talk to someone at school and say everything you said here. I hope this gets better for you :smile:

Thanks but the problem is we have no school councillors and to talk to someone at school, they usually tell me she's just protecting you etc etc etc, i'm 6'4 and in excellent shape most people use me as protection. And talking about the independence thing my mum just told me that independence comes when i'm living under my own payed roof:frown:
I remember in primary school, the teachers used to take our sweets/crisps off us because they were unhealthy. :frown:
Reply 193
Original post by TheMagican
This might sound odd but she is doing this for your own benefit. Although its ridiculously excessive, she doesn't want you to mix in with the wrong crowds or chase girls judging by the looks of it. Maybe one day you will see that it might pay off when you get the grades etc but i don't know you personally or anything but that is what i fell your mother is trying to do based on what you said.

The thing is i fell into the wrong crowd in year 7 and left as quickly as possible, and turned my life around but now i'm much more mature and described as 'an indispensable asset to the school and an ambassador of my family' coming from just one of the teachers who used to hate me in year 7 :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 194
Original post by Jgco2chem
For me, to stand up when a head of department enters the classroom...I'm in sixth-form and it disrupts my thinking during maths lessons!

Yeah, I have to do that too. But the stupidest rule in my school? Probably getting a 20 minute detention for not having a green pen, or for not tucking in your shirt
Actually, no. The stupidest rule is not being allowed to be bald in our school. You're literally not allowed to have a haircut below Grade 1. Not really sure how this rule helps us in discipline etc
We're not allowed on the 7th floor after somebody had sex up there.
Girls couldn't wear black socks. Oh and no unnatural hair colours. Including ginger/red. As a natural redhead, this was especially fun.
Original post by Medici103
Girls couldn't wear black socks. Oh and no unnatural hair colours. Including ginger/red. As a natural redhead, this was especially fun.

Did they make you dye it?! :eek:
Original post by fluffylittlecat
I remember in primary school, the teachers used to take our sweets/crisps off us because they were unhealthy. :frown:

I remember in primary we were only allowed a healthy thing to eat at breaktime, but could have whatever we liked at lunchtime. :confused:
Original post by milliethemoo
Did they make you dye it?! :eek:

It depended on how red your hair was. They had an idea of what they considered natural and if your hair, natural or not, was outside of that then your parents received a phone call asking that something be done about it and a timescale in which to do it. If it wasn't fixed then it was suspension.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending