The Student Room Group

Whats the most stupid rule your school has?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nixonsjellybeans
My primary introduced 'pen licences'. Basically you couldn't have a pen unless you passed a handwriting test. So despite being a clever young man I was forced to use a pencil due to my scruffy writing.

It never did improve :lol:

Exactly the same! xD Eastfield Primary! Woo!
Having to use one specific brand of pen. I hated it as it was so scratchy and my writing was appalling. I blame this for why my writing is so bad but now I am using a nice fountain pen it is 100% better
Original post by somemightsay888
6 bars on your tie. At one point the deputy head made an acrylic model of the ideal tie length and stopped students to measure to see if it met standard. Crazy.

No running on the playground was another delightful rule. "Hard standing area" they called it.

You'dve hated our final years (year 11) must wear (very boring) black ties policy whilst all the lower year lots wore grey and red stripped ties. :colonhash:
Reply 383
Had to wear shorts in primary until October half term no matter how cold the weather got.
Well they banned Pokemon Go pretty swiftly last time I heard.
Original post by SeanFM
:lol: from their point of view it was probably for you to get extra practice, but that is annoying.

and urgh, the signed planners :hide: :eek4:

I had to write lines so it wasn't all too useful. The lines weren't even related to anything I'd done nor was there much of a lesson to be learned. That particular teacher just liked giving out arbitrary detentions so people wouldn't misbehave.

Edit: I would also point out that this wasn't in a German lesson but a Geography lesson.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 386
always supposed to have a blazer on. raining, and the blazer looks bulgy underneath your stylish coat or jumper? tough. keep it on. its a heatwave, and youre literally dying at school? too bad. keep it on.

we also had ties too for a few years and they were just standard and stripy with colours based on your house. but then our rival school next door who everyone hates and doesnt want to be associated it changed their uniform so it was v similar to ours, so we changed our tie to a ugly bright blue with our tiny green/red logo that was supposed to be visible under the tie knot as a "measurement to the appropriate length of the tie" and then two - just two - dinky little neon green stripes at the very bottom. it was hideous and we were forced to wear it and i think it should've been a national crime to wear something that cringey
(edited 7 years ago)
Just finished sixth form in A2 but my high school was the 3rd worst performing in our town (still is now apparently) due to such bad behaviour due to the location where it was etc.

Most stupid rules:
1) fingernails on students had to be a certain length the nail had to be cut way below the tip of the finger because of 'health and safety' and stuff. When we went through the single door entry in the morning we had to place our hands out to be seen by deputy head and some other senior teachers. (It was really because of people stratching each other..)
2) we had to have a certain number of pens, pencils in our pencil case otherwise we'd be sent home to purchase more.. let's just say this didn't help attendance whatsoever as people delibrately didn't have the right amount so they'd go home
3) If you believed you're being bullied at school, the teachers would only take it forward if your parent(s) comes in for a meeting to say why your, how your child is being bullied...etc etc again...stupid

I don't think there's a need to go on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WhisperingTide
Exactly the same! xD Eastfield Primary! Woo!

I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one who suffered. Most have been a new 'cutting edge' teaching method in schools.
Reply 389
I feel like I haven't really had it too bad. Although we have a set uniform only available from one shop through the school, and we are made to stick to that rigidly, none of the other rules seem too bad.
Mate ,I used to fight(not physically lol) with teachers about having coloured braided extensions in my hair, it really wasn't affecting my standard of work or my ability to learn so it was very annoying. Also we weren't allowed to wear Vans, they weren't considered shoes, one of my teachers would say to me 'Why aren't you wearing shoes?' 😂
In GCSE business we had this teacher who wouldn't let us write blue ink. And stupidly I wrote my name and year on the front of my excercise book in BLUE right after she told us the rule, I had also misspelled business which didn't go down too well with this teacher:biggrin:
Guys could wear any shoes so long as they were black but girls could ONLY wear brogues
No bags in corridors😭people had to carry their books/pencil cases between lessons

Posted from TSR Mobile
I went to a private school, and we weren't allowed to eat outside school grounds if we were wearing our uniform as it was considered "tarnishing our reputation"Our new headmistress also banned distribution of condoms at our school, though I'm not sure why. The only thing I can think of is that she's a Catholic, but surely she's not allowed to do that, regardless of her views? Needless to say, there have already been some unwanted pregnancies from girls who couldn't otherwise get condoms.
Most stupid rule ey...hmm, definitely the fact we need to come into school.

Lol okay on a serious note, it's the fact we're not allowed to go underneath the table of computers to switch them on..so they will forever be switched off.
All the stupid ones were based on looks
No make up
No fake nails
Ties lot your belly button
No short skirts
Only leather shoes
No piercing

No that I followed any, but got a detention pretty much every week because of uniform rules.

At sixth form its no denim. Which I again ignore alongside most of the student population.
Original post by Effie14
I went to a private school, and we weren't allowed to eat outside school grounds if we were wearing our uniform as it was considered "tarnishing our reputation"

That's one of the stupidest ones I've seen so far. Surely they have absolutely no power to enforce rules like that outside of school?
Only allowed one charity wristband. So at school you may only support one charity? :angry:
Original post by tg1998
Only allowed one charity wristband. So at school you may only support one charity? :angry:

We weren't even allowed to wear one which I thought was ridiculous

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending