The Student Room Group

Whats the most stupid rule your school has?

Scroll to see replies

I attend a private academy, so there are a lot of weird rules, but the most stupid rule is probably that you can't have "Smarties" (those little round, powdery candies) on campus. The rule exists because some kid ground them up and was snuffing them. The things kids do when they're desperate... Lol.
Not allowed to use handbags!
Only one ear stud in each year
Hair has to be tied up at ALL times unless it's so short you can't tie it at all
wearing lanyards and attending assemblies when we'd much rather be revising
My school - No dying hair for anyone, no hair shorter than a grade 2 for boys
No handbags as school bags, everyone can have 1 silver stud ear pierce.
^ all could get you in Internal Exclusion
and in Y9 our head of year made it a rule that you couldn't walk around with more than three other people.
and we have clip on ties, hair tied up,
Mine was not be loud outside else you would of had to have one week worth of detention
We have to travel around the school in a one-way system. Hey, your class is just next door but against the system? Go around the school.
Original post by courtneying
of my private school years, some of the stupidest things that come to mind:
-changed the uniform two years before i joined the junior school so that all our uniform had maroon pinstripes, essentially forcing us to pay £20 for a single blouse. blazers are about £90, and that’s if you’re fortunate enough to not need a large size.
-my friend got told off several times for having hairbands on her wrist, even though her having spare ones was a godsend for all the girls with shoulder length hair who didn’t carry hair bobbles with them and needed to tie their hair up for PE
-speaking of PE, if you were picked to represent the school in sports fixtures you weren’t allowed to back out without an exeat email. the same friend who got told off for hair ties nearly left the school because they wouldn’t let her quit school hockey on a saturday despite the fact she played for an independent club and paid money for private lessons. and yes, all matches were on a saturday, often early in the morning. she eventually got free, but only because her granddad used to be a head of department.
-i had to do swimming with all the hockey girls even though i did rowing. it was stupid, because the rowing boys didn’t have to go swimming, so once every two weeks i’d have to go freeze to death for no good reason.
-top buttons for boys always had to be done up. always. and god forbid you had an untucked shirt.
-girls had to have knee length skirts, although this was often ignored. one friend of mine got yelled at for having a short skirt, but because it’d been altered, there wasn’t much they could do besides make her buy a new one.
-not allowed into the lunch queue until 1 if you forgot your ID card, which was all well and good until you forgot your ID card and had a club that day that started at 1. some teachers were stricter than others about it, but it was still a pain.
-had to take a modern foreign languages at gsce. emphasis on the modern. also, you couldn’t take russian on its own, and for spanish you had to be “invited” to take it. luckily the spanish rule has been scrapped, but the russian one is still in place.
-we had to go to founder’s day once a year, which involved sitting in a cathedral and listening to a very christian service for two hours. yes, it was mandatory. and no, if you had a religious exemption you couldn’t go home despite it literally taking up the whole afternoon.
-speaking of religious exemption, girls had to wear skirts unless they had a note from their faith leader pleading religious reasons. which, you know, is all well and good until it’s january and you’re standing at a bus stop in a skirt and tights next to five state school girls looking at you with pity in their trousers. not fun.
-signed planners. luckily, they mostly stopped bothering after the first few weeks of term, but those few weeks were still hell.
-not strictly a rule per se, but you’d get interrogated by your form tutor if you didn’t attend at least two lunchtime clubs. i know a lot of people said they went to art or homework club, simply because there was no register there to check if they were actually going.
-not allowed to cut through the sixth form centre, even though what was a ten second walk from history to music through there took ten minutes of staircases and running round the school normally.
-no unnatural hair colours, nail polish, piercings, etc. the piercings one wasn’t really enforced - i had a cartilage piercing and most girls in my year had two lobe ones - but the others definitely were. if you had nail polish, you were sent to the nurse to get it removed. speaking of piercings, you were only allowed to get them done during the summer.
-everyone had to take four a levels. they were allowed to drop one at the end of yr12, but i didn’t see the point in making someone take a subject they were just going to drop, especially when the as-levels got abolished.
-my maths teacher once banned drinking water in class because he thought we were doing it to get out of paying attention. i know. it was a shame, because he was one of my favourite teachers up until that point.
-they closed off an entire changing room so it was just for sixth formers when i was halfway through year 8. the rule was pretty much ignored, because sixth formers didn’t use it either, but it was still annoying to have to sneak around.
-they never turned on the air conditioning. they had it, but it was cheaper to keep the heating on at a baseline than to turn it on and off and mess with the air con, or so the rumour went. either way, i’d sweat like a pig in the summer term.
-in the junior school, packed lunches weren’t allowed. they’ve lifted the rule since, but year 6 me despised that rule with a passion.
-mandatory prizegivings, even if you didn’t win a prize. it was alright for me, because i usually won one - i was the only creative writer in my year, so i got the english prize by default - but my friends hated it. also, said prizegivings contained more speeches than prizes.
-they’d be harsh about catch-up work, but when i was off school for multiple weeks after my tonsils were removed, i emailed all my teachers multiple times and rarely got any. plus, even when i did, it was never marked. it was better than being yelled at for not trying, though, so it worked out i suppose.
-boys could do hockey, rugby, tennis, athletics, rowing, badminton, table tennis or football. girls could only do hockey, netball or athletics, with some girls being picked for tennis. i was lucky because my parents emailed asking for me to be transferred to rowing - i’d done it before, and was one of the better girls - but i was quite literally the only girl there for years. and even then, i was never good enough to be picked to do regattas.

in regards to my state primary school, well:
-you were hounded if you got below 95% attendance. not kidding.
-everyone had to go to church even though we weren’t officially c of e.
-banned christmas cards, loom bandz, drinks in lunchboxes and nuts. the nuts were because one girl was allergic, but she only had a reaction if she ate them, not if she was near someone who had them. it sucked for me, because i was a super picky eater and nuts were one of the few healthy things i was willing to eat.
-girls weren’t allowed to change separately from boys. i left before year 6 so avoided the more awkward times, but it was still terrible.
-not a rule, but they still allowed kids to use pairs of stilts even after i literally broke my ankle on a pair. also, they made me run a race for life on crutches, on concrete. i could bear no weight on my right ankle, and my hands were a mess for weeks after.
-didn’t send home kids when they were sick, to the point where they kept a girl with a 39 degree temperature at school, and when i broke my ankle i was told to stop overreacting. one time, because i’d had too much time off school, they dragged me in only to sheepishly send me back when i couldn’t talk and i nearly fainted.
-made my mum pay a nonrefundable £20 deposit for a residential trip they knew damn well i wouldn’t be able to go on because i’d just been accepted into my private junior school on full scholarship. their excuse was that i “might change my mind” but considering i’d sacrificed six months of my life to prepare for an entrance exam that none of the other kids in my class took, it was very unlikely.

this was very long, but it was a much needed rant!

Bizarre old fashioned school!
I think it was last year, VS PINK brought out some sparkly body spray things and most of the girls at my school had them so they sprayed them and it made their ties sparkly. The teachers that were above most of the others seemed to take offence to this and if anyone had a sparkly tie they got a detention and had to have a clean tie by the next day or they got another detention
getting a detention for not going to sport training because I was sick

my schools great...
If you're female, you aren't allowed to have skirts that are over 7cm above your knees which is reasonable.. But 6th form get to wear the SHORTEST SKIRTS I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY ENTIRE LIFE WITH NO CONSEQUENCES!
Original post by Medici103
Girls couldn't wear black socks. Oh and no unnatural hair colours. Including ginger/red. As a natural redhead, this was especially fun.

So why does it matter what colour socks you wear.
Original post by RealPerson
If you take off your shoes you must put them in your bag

What the hell, I always slip my shoes off in class and left them under the table,

-
We also had a no nail varnish rule and Even on our toes, A few girls got a bit scared when we went swimming, . Or any barefoot session.
Not aloud to stand in crowds in the playground. No water bottles in the playground and greet the headteacher with ‘Good morning miss.(insert name) good morning everyone’. Ugh please, even the notion
no jewellery or hair dye
We weren't allowed to take our blazer off unless given permission in summer. I think I found out that rule in the last week of school, even the teacher had never heard it before until she was reading an announcement we would now be allowed to take them off. No wonder it wasn't enforced ha.
Lower school students weren't allowed to walk through the reception area from one corridor to the corridor across the way. You had to go around the long way outside.

Original post by Conconz
We weren't allowed to take our blazer off unless given permission in summer. I think I found out that rule in the last week of school, even the teacher had never heard it before until she was reading an announcement we would now be allowed to take them off. No wonder it wasn't enforced ha.

Students at my school had to wear a blazer and a pullover. In hot weather, only certain teachers would allow you to take your pullover off in class, but you had to put it back on when you left the class.
(edited 5 years ago)
We also had to walk outside the long way round to use the toilets. There was a corridor directly to it, but we weren't allowed to use it for no reason at all. Ball ache.
Not allowed to do homework in the places designated for doing work (breakout areas) - "You're supposed to be enjoying the fresh air"
My sister's chemistry teacher banned writing in his class unless you were doing work. So no note-taking, which makes him talking for 40 minutes next o useless because students would have to go home and write out notes from the book anyway. Apparently it's not such a big problem though, because a lot of what he's teaching is just plain wrong (eg. wrong definitions and methods)

My primary school banned talking to anyone in a different year, which I still don't really understand.
If you have hair that’s too long (only for males) or too short you get suspended
My brother goes to the same school that I went to and it was mufti day on Friday and he told me that a girl got told off for wearing ankle socks, even though they were wearing their own clothes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending