The Student Room Group

A-levels options ermergerd

Alright, so I thought having to deal with coursework was enough but suddenly I have to choose my A-levels. My first choice at uni is studying astrophysics, and then I think a good backup plan which I would really enjoy doing is PPE. For this, I was thinking about taking:
Physics, maths, further maths and history.
I'm on track to get an A* in maths, but I was really worried about taking FM because I still find things like circle theorems a bit difficult (most other things are ok). I didn't do history at GCSE, but I really find politics interesting, I'm just not sure about the essays. But my main worry is finding further maths difficult, despite the fact that I do quite enjoy maths.

Any opinions on my choices would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance and sorry if anything I've written is unclear, I can clarify more if you want :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
If you enjoy maths and can get an A*, further maths A level really isn't that bad, well at least AS isn't. :smile:
If you enjoy maths and are willing to put the work in then you'll be fine. I guess you'll take it to A2 and drop history if you choose astrophysics :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by AstroNandos
If you enjoy maths and can get an A*, further maths A level really isn't that bad, well at least AS isn't. :smile:

Hahaha well A2 FM is something to look forward to :wink: Thanks :smile::smile:
Reply 4
Original post by VioletPhillippo
If you enjoy maths and are willing to put the work in then you'll be fine. I guess you'll take it to A2 and drop history if you choose astrophysics :smile:

Most likely this will be the case. Thanks :smile::smile:
Original post by Charonder
Alright, so I thought having to deal with coursework was enough but suddenly I have to choose my A-levels. My first choice at uni is studying astrophysics, and then I think a good backup plan which I would really enjoy doing is PPE. For this, I was thinking about taking:
I'm on track to get an A* in maths, but I was really worried about taking FM because I still find things like circle theorems a bit difficult (most other things are ok). I didn't do history at GCSE, but I really find politics interesting, I'm just not sure about the essays. But my main worry is finding further maths difficult, despite the fact that I do quite enjoy maths.

Thanks in advance and sorry if anything I've written is unclear, I can clarify more if you want :smile:

Circle Theorems??? You wont need any of that. There is a chapter about Circles in C1 but nothing to do with Theorems. I wont hide it, Maths gets a lot harder at A Level. I got an A in maths then an E at AS. I havent done FM but it looks difficult. I loved maths so much at GCSE but AS was just a nightmare. I had a horrible year.

Im resitting it again, self teaching half of it and its easy and great, just didnt have my mind in the right place last year

Consider Further Maths carefully. The rest of your options sound fine to me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7

Those choices are fine for PPE & Astrophysics. FM isn't all about circle theorems and those areas you'll cover extensively and have tonnes of time - you'll be fine. History you don't need to have studied for Gcse, although A level is more in depth than GCSE . Good luck :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Further maths isn't as bad as they say. They go a little faster than just doing single maths but that's just because you're doing more modules. If you're enjoying it, it's really not bad, and everything's quite straightforward. If you don't understand something, there's plenty of revision guides/textbooks out there and after rereading them a few times, it should be fine :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by heavyhandscott
Circle Theorems??? You wont need any of that. There is a chapter about Circles in C1 but nothing to do with Theorems. I wont hide it, Maths gets a lot harder at A Level. I got an A in maths then an E at AS. I havent done FM but it looks difficult. I loved maths so much at GCSE but AS was just a nightmare. I had a horrible year.

Im resitting it again, self teaching half of it and its easy and great, just didnt have my mind in the right place last year

Ah right, well good luck with your resit! I think I can keep a good mindset, but thanks for telling me it gets harder because that way I can be ready for it. :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Edminzodo
Consider Further Maths carefully. The rest of your options sound fine to me!

Posted from TSR Mobile

The deadline for option interests is the 12th December but it can be changed and FM isn't one of those subjects that might or might not run at my school and is never over-subscribed, so I'll think about it as much as possible. Thanks :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by MrJAKEE
Those choices are fine for PPE & Astrophysics. FM isn't all about circle theorems and those areas you'll cover extensively and have tonnes of time - you'll be fine. History you don't need to have studied for Gcse, although A level is more in depth than GCSE . Good luck :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahahaha that's good to hear :wink:
Yeah, I've heard that about history too, a lot of background reading, but from what I've read from TSR A-level subject guides is that I won't have to do too much background reading for the other subjects, so history will be a good balance!
Reply 12
Original post by Magnesium
Further maths isn't as bad as they say. They go a little faster than just doing single maths but that's just because you're doing more modules. If you're enjoying it, it's really not bad, and everything's quite straightforward. If you don't understand something, there's plenty of revision guides/textbooks out there and after rereading them a few times, it should be fine :smile:

That's very reassuring, because I always thought further maths was only for the maths elites in my class who knew what logarithms were when we were still doing the early GCSE stuff :wink: I also forgot to mention that in set 1 we do an additional maths qualification too, and I was told yesterday that it really helps to the first module or two of AS maths, so we'll find it easier compared to people from set 2 who don't do the add. maths qualification. I've had a lot of advice lately! :wink::smile:
Reply 13
The deadline for option interests is the 12th December but it can be changed and FM isn't one of those subjects that might or might not run at my school and is never over-subscribed, so I'll think about it as much as possible. Thanks :smile:

Most schools (mine does) does the full A-level in the first year, then Further Maths in the second year. This gives you an idea of how well you've done/ whether you think you'll be able to cope with FM. We also get the option to drop it (and go back and do an AS), do AS FM or do the full A-level in FM.

It's worth it, especially if you think you want to go into physics, but it is quite a hefty workload.
Reply 14
Original post by aoxa
Most schools (mine does) does the full A-level in the first year, then Further Maths in the second year. This gives you an idea of how well you've done/ whether you think you'll be able to cope with FM. We also get the option to drop it (and go back and do an AS), do AS FM or do the full A-level in FM.

It's worth it, especially if you think you want to go into physics, but it is quite a hefty workload.

I guess my school is different because both are done over the two years. I think to make sure people can cope instead of seeing how the maths A-level goes, the teachers highly stress the importance of an A* and how it shows a better chance of success. I haven't heard of any upper sixth formers doing an FM AS at my school (but I have read about others doing it on forums and stuff), again I presume this is just the way the school is run.
Reply 15
I guess my school is different because both are done over the two years. I think to make sure people can cope instead of seeing how the maths A-level goes, the teachers highly stress the importance of an A* and how it shows a better chance of success. I haven't heard of any upper sixth formers doing an FM AS at my school (but I have read about others doing it on forums and stuff), again I presume this is just the way the school is run.

At our school we do in the first year C1 C2 C3 M1 M2 & FP1 (effectively an AS in Maths and an AS in FM), then we can drop out of FM next year if things get too tough (which so far hasn't been). If you have the aptitude for Maths do it, I think it's probably one of best A levels to do & personally more easy than a lot of the others to get an A* in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by MrJAKEE
At our school we do in the first year C1 C2 C3 M1 M2 & FP1 (effectively an AS in Maths and an AS in FM), then we can drop out of FM next year if things get too tough (which so far hasn't been). If you have the aptitude for Maths do it, I think it's probably one of best A levels to do & personally more easy than a lot of the others to get an A* in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that's how it goes down at my school
Alright, well I think I probably will take it, good to know a lot of people saw it as a good A-level :smile:
That's very reassuring, because I always thought further maths was only for the maths elites in my class who knew what logarithms were when we were still doing the early GCSE stuff :wink: I also forgot to mention that in set 1 we do an additional maths qualification too, and I was told yesterday that it really helps to the first module or two of AS maths, so we'll find it easier compared to people from set 2 who don't do the add. maths qualification. I've had a lot of advice lately! :wink::smile:

Noo definitely not! I only did GCSE maths and I read over a level modules before going into sixth form and I'm finding it really easy :tongue: If you do Add Maths, you've basically cover most of the latter parts C1 and S1 as well so there is really nothing new there for you ^^. After that, things start becoming newer but it's all at a good pace and things lead from one to another. You'll find that things you learn in Statistics will overlap with things you learn in core and it's somewhat connected :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest