The Student Room Group

What Masters give you a reasonable chance of getting a job in that field

Assuming the person in question before the Masters did a doss undergrad degree. Like English, because you know, most people in the UK can't speak English.

Basically, looking for a degree that won't require much previous knowledge and still gives a reasonable chance of good employment prospects.

what might that be???
have you searched this up? or spoken to the university (or whatever) that you attended?
Original post by Safiya122
have you searched this up? or spoken to the university (or whatever) that you attended?

Not yet, I thought I'd just randomly ask here as a precursor
Original post by thisistheend
Assuming the person in question before the Masters did a doss undergrad degree. Like English, because you know, most people in the UK can't speak English.

Basically, looking for a degree that won't require much previous knowledge and still gives a reasonable chance of good employment prospects.

what might that be???

I don't think that exists. High employability in fields tends to be closely correlated with the amount of subject-specific knowledge needed.
Original post by Juichiro
I don't think that exists. High employability in fields tends to be closely correlated with the amount of subject-specific knowledge needed.

Urgh, afraid you were going to say that. In any case it took me a year to become a qualified teacher , it's just that I don't actually want to do it now.

Nothing else that takes a short amount of time and gives reasonable employment prospects?
Urgh, afraid you were going to say that. In any case it took me a year to become a qualified teacher , it's just that I don't actually want to do it now.

Nothing else that takes a short amount of time and gives reasonable employment prospects?

The amount of time something takes depends on the amount of knowledge you already have. So if you already have knowledge of physics and maths, mechanical engineering would be a short-time good-prospects option. If you had chemistry and maths, microbiology would be a short-time good-prospects option, and so on.

I think you need to sit down and make 2 lists. In one list write the areas/fields of the things you "know" or the areas/fields where you have skills. In the second list, write the areas where would like to work. Then, try to match the items in the two lists. You should do research on the employability of fields where you got a match.
Reply 6

what might that be???

Maybe an MBA but the good unis normally require a few year's managerial experience

Posted from TSR Mobile
Conversion to law should be the most common thing to do.
Original post by Nathanielle
Conversion to law should be the most common thing to do.

This takes a long time
The amount of time something takes depends on the amount of knowledge you already have. So if you already have knowledge of physics and maths, mechanical engineering would be a short-time good-prospects option. If you had chemistry and maths, microbiology would be a short-time good-prospects option, and so on.

I think you need to sit down and make 2 lists. In one list write the areas/fields of the things you "know" or the areas/fields where you have skills. In the second list, write the areas where would like to work. Then, try to match the items in the two lists. You should do research on the employability of fields where you got a match.

Unfortunately, I did an Art subject which doesn't exactly lead to a direct job, unless you do a PhD and become a professor for the next generation of students studying it. Nobody strictly "needs" to know my subject and it is argued that we might know nothing at all.

So I thought a 1 year teaching course might have been a good bet for employability, it did work sort of, I am employable, was offered a 1 year contract (without applying) leading to permanent position but turned it down.
Unfortunately, I did an Art subject which doesn't exactly lead to a direct job, unless you do a PhD and become a professor for the next generation of students studying it. Nobody strictly "needs" to know my subject and it is argued that we might know nothing at all.

So I thought a 1 year teaching course might have been a good bet for employability, it did work sort of, I am employable, was offered a 1 year contract (without applying) leading to permanent position but turned it down.

Why on earth did you do that?
Why on earth did you do that?

Full time teaching is just not for me. I'd have to be really desperate to sign my life away for that job role.

It's not as if I'm unemployed. I work on a variety of things on part-time / freelance basis (not minimum wage either, though total pay is far from satisfactory). It's just that I have no career development potential and without a full time job and earnings, it'll be impossible to get a mortage in future.
(edited 9 years ago)
You could apply for for a Masters in a different field and convert- I come from a human geography background and am currently doing an Agric and Env sciences degree.

I would look at fields you are interested in and then look at masters degrees that would allow you to convert into the field (there is no guarentee there is one available, but it is a start).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending