The Student Room Group

Offers received - which one to firm?!

I've been accepted to 4/5 of my unis for a genetics undergrad. I'm on a gap year so the offers are unconditional. I'm SOO confused on which uni to firm right now! My heart was set on York but after doing some research on Edinburgh and Manchester I'm beyond frustrated.

Each uni has its ups and downs like the main reason I wanted York was because it offers a 'first with distinction' degree so I thought it would help me after I graduate if I got awarded that. However Edinburgh has some great bursaries which would really help me out and has a greater international rep but I'll have to do a 4 year degree.

I'm open to suggestions guys, really need some sound advice! )
Original post by Beri
I've been accepted to 4/5 of my unis for a genetics undergrad. I'm on a gap year so the offers are unconditional. I'm SOO confused on which uni to firm right now! My heart was set on York but after doing some research on Edinburgh and Manchester I'm beyond frustrated.

Each uni has its ups and downs like the main reason I wanted York was because it offers a 'first with distinction' degree so I thought it would help me after I graduate if I got awarded that. However Edinburgh has some great bursaries which would really help me out and has a greater international rep but I'll have to do a 4 year degree.

I'm open to suggestions guys, really need some sound advice! )

What do you mean by "[York] offers a 'first with distinction' degree"?
Reply 2
I don't think the first with distinction is a significant factor - chances are they only award a couple every year, and it's probably going to be quite demanding to get that. Also, if you want to help yourself on graduation then you should be looking at summer placements and sandwich years. Degree grades will not be a decider in you getting a job as long as you're a competent 2.1+

All good cities and good universities so I doubt you can make a bad choice. Other factors to consider may be the distance from home, as you may incur some significant expense in getting trains/other to/from home depending where you are.

What do you like in a city? Have you been to visit all three of them?
Have you visited the universities in question?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending