The Student Room Group

Things I hate about working in retail.... (new edition)

Scroll to see replies

We need to ban customers from coming to the tills [in small stores] when they have 3 items or less... Use.the.self.checkout!

As much as I love helping people, I get annoyed when I'm trying to re-stock shelves, and people are going to the till for one item - like a sausage roll or something. Go to the self checkout!
Original post by rsdntbplr
The one thing, the ONE thing about customers that really grinds my gears is the same old, recycled and tired out joke that every customer thinks is hilarious: "Oh it didn't scan through, it must be free!" And every time I have to go "HAHAHAHAHA" to please them. But it's not a laugh of amusement. Not at all. It's anger expressed in a disguise.

I hate that one so much it is unreal. I don't even laugh anymore, I literally just ignore it and try to explain to them what the issue is and how I resolve it for them.

I.e 'sorry I'll need to type in the barcode, it will take a minute' or 'the scales are not working, if you could give me a moment I'll have them sorted out for you'
Reply 22
Original post by MaseratiJay
We need to ban customers from coming to the tills [in small stores] when they have 3 items or less... Use.the.self.checkout!

As much as I love helping people, I get annoyed when I'm trying to re-stock shelves, and people are going to the till for one item - like a sausage roll or something. Go to the self checkout!

yet if everyone was to start using self checkouts then supermarketss will get cut staffing level in order to get rid of manned checkouts.
I work on a pizza counter. A woman came up to me and ordered a pizza and I made it. I was ridiculously busy! She came back and was like, "No, I ordered completely different toppings!" She ****ing didn't because I write down EXACTLY what people say so I had to stand there and make a new one, putting me way behind schedule.

The joys of being the sole pizza maker at peak time.
Original post by Sonic92
yet if everyone was to start using self checkouts then supermarketss will get cut staffing level in order to get rid of manned checkouts.

I said for 3 items or less...

Not necessarily, in my store even when everyone is in we are still short.

People still have to be there to approve things on the checkout.
People still need to re-stock shelves
People still need to answer customer queries.

And the list goes on and on.

Edit: This is a light-hearted thread, no one should take it too literally. I'm not trying to get into the practicality of it all...I was just saying.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 25
I work in M&S and I hate it so much when people find out about the 5p carrier bag charge and they then moan and suddenly don't want a bag anymore because they realise that they will have to pay FIVE PENCE for it!

Also because I am only 17 I have to get a colleague over 18 to witness it everytime a different customer tries to purchase alcohol which is very annoying and then lots of people make that 'oh I thought he/she would ask me for ID/ I was hoping he'd say I wasn't old enough hahahhahahah' even though they're like 50 eurgh no not funny
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by Lottie_
Don't want a bag because they realise that they'd have to pay FIVE PENCE for it!

Didn't knpw that it's against the law not to by a bag
Original post by Sonic92
Didn't knpw that it's against the law not to by a bag

That's not what she said. She said that they want a bag but won't pay 5 pence for it. Not paying is against the law.

You must be a very sad person to criticise peoples opinions on things. Rather than trying to find mistakes with what people are saying, work on things you can improve in your life. Merry Christmas/Nadolig Llawen.
When people think it's adorable for their kids to 'pay' for their items. No, it's not cute - I have a massive queue and you're just putting me even farther behind.
Reply 29
Original post by jorddwilliams
That's not what she said. She said that they want a bag but won't pay 5 pence for it. Not paying is against the law.

No. The poster said the person doesn't want a bag when they find out its 5p. If you're doing to criticise me for criticisng someone, least try get it right first time.
Original post by Sonic92
No. The poster said the person doesn't want a bag when they find out its 5p. If you're doing to criticise me for criticisng someone, least try get it right first time.

'They don't want a bag when they realise it's 5 pence. That's exactly what I said in different words.
Reply 31
Original post by jorddwilliams
'They don't want a bag when they realise it's 5 pence. That's exactly what I said in different words.

So again, How is it bad that they change their mind when they find out it's five pence?
Reply 32
Original post by Sonic92
So again, How is it bad that they change their mind when they find out it's five pence?

it's just annoying because it's always after I've asked them and I don't see why paying a small fee for a bag is such a burden to a customer either when they obviously need one, stop criticising what I am saying - you've done it on another thread as well
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 33
When no customers are there but I still have to be "proactive" and find something to do, so either making sure the shelves are arranged properly or printing off price tickets for things that can only fill so much time in shift.

And especially people who will find out everything you can tell them and then say "yeah we're not buying today we're just finding out information", great you could have told me that to start with... (which while it passes time is still just incredibly annoying).
Original post by Ozzin
When no customers are there but I still have to be "proactive" and find something to do, so either making sure the shelves are arranged properly or printing off price tickets for things that can only fill so much time in shift.

And especially people who will find out everything you can tell them and then say "yeah we're not buying today we're just finding out information", great you could have told me that to start with... (which while it passes time is still just incredibly annoying).

What about Kev? :wink:
Original post by charmander12
Yes! People who came in 5 minutes before closing and picked up a basket... They probably thought I loved standing on my feet for 9 hours just to serve their sorry ass at the end of the night, with their basket full of shopping.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This couple once came into the co op I worked in 5 mins before closing and were a good 20 minutes going around with there list and stuff. I didn't get paid extra so I was frustrated. They got to the till and realised the man forgot his money so he was saying to his wife to wait in the store and he'd come back in a moment after he nipped home and I was like no sorry. You can't do that. And he was like "it's five minutes away!" And I was like I don't care. Do you wanna give me my hourly rate to sit here and wait for you or do you wanna come back tomorrow for God sake. Idiots.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Store's void policy,you have to call someone over if you are voiding something worth more than £2...
Seriously if you are so worried about some of your staff stealing stuff worth 2 quid, you shouldn't have hired them in first place. Or just keep records of staff no when they do void.
How rude the general public are of course! !!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fudgecake22
How rude the general public are of course! !!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know right, I witnessed a customer being so, so rude to a colleauge/friend of mine the other day :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Original post by AstroNandos
What about Kev? :wink:

Yeah but that isn't retail in general it's just him.

Although it's also annoying when you say to a customer that you'll go and check something for them and then they start following you around the shop.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending