The Student Room Group

'Cleveland police shoot dead 12 year old boy ' When will it end.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I feel uncomfortable with the initial police account of events...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HeavyTeddy
I'm not sure if you've seen the bb gun in question but it looks remarkably like 1911 pistol. There was no signs on the bb gun to distinguish it from an actual gun. The officer told him to put his hands up, instead the kid tried to go for his bb gun. The officer had to make a split decision, and unfortunately it resulted in the death of boy, but that isn't the fault of the officer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not the fault of the officer just America.
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
I'm so glad you don't do politics

The British police follow the exact same logic. Whenever they shoot they shoot to kill.
Original post by goobypls
But surely if using bullets that don't kill but still aiming for the chest and spine it can still be effective in neutralizing him ?

What are these bullets that don't kill, and how do they neutralise someone? If you are talking about weaker guns with smaller bullets, then those won't stop someone.

People can still fight back even after being shot in the chest sometimes.
What? I used an article on the internet not blackmail, maybe this example of a dead child isn't good. How about the cinema shooting where 12 people died? No? How about all those school children where little kids died?

Fig.1- emotional blackmail, perceived moral superiority, manipulation of emotion. Waving the number of dead people in-front of me won't change my mind because it's not an argument, it's a blatant stab at trying to ban guns "because they kill people!". Every incident like Columbine can be traced to mental illness or criminal intent. The firearm didn't cause the murders- a poor healthcare system did. As for that particularly study, heard of Anders Breivik? Norway has strict gun control. 78 dead. 69 of whom by legally acquired firearms. If one of the 69 could have used his own gun is self defence, do you think Anders could have been killed before taking that many lives?
Original post by qasidb
We're told the kid reached for the gun in the holster despite being told by the police to put his hands up. If this is true, maybe they were were justified in shooting him although they could've aimed for his legs at least and made a rush towards him immediately afterwards. They couldn't have know whether the gun was real or not and were not told by the dispatcher that the caller who alerted them wasn't sure about it being real or fake either.

Nevertheless, I do disagree with the US's gun policy. They should just outright outlaw them or however the rule is in the UK. There are too many of these shootings.

But thinking about it, if this happened in the UK, armed response units may have been dispatched and the kid may have ended up dying anyway if he indeed reached for the gun because the police are trained to shoot if the person reaches for the gun.

I think the problem, however, is that if such a report came to the police here in the UK the response would be entirely different because the chances of a 12 year old possessing a gun in the first place would be nearly impossible

Guns are so endemic to US society that it forces police officers to act so cautiously, causing these awful situations.. :/
Original post by Ggmu!
I feel uncomfortable with the initial police account of events...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree, in my opinion they are definitely covering something up. My concern is they apparently saw that the orange safety indicator was missing when the gun was in his waist band....
Original post by Architecture-er
I think the problem, however, is that if such a report came to the police here in the UK the response would be entirely different because the chances of a 12 year old possessing a gun in the first place would be nearly impossible

Guns are so endemic to US society that it forces police officers to act so cautiously, causing these awful situations.. :/

If you consider the right to bear arms and by extension the right to defend life and property (laws in many states support both) an endemic, sure.

As for "police cover-up", this video has the airsolf gun in question.
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/11/23/justice/cleveland-police-shooting/index.html
No orange tip. Unless you're going to insinuate without evidence that the cops tampered with the crime scene then there's no point discussing conjecture.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 48
I agree, in my opinion they are definitely covering something up. My concern is they apparently saw that the orange safety indicator was missing when the gun was in his waist band....

Yes, that seems a little suspect. I mean, it was a 12 year old boy. I can't help but feel that there must have been at least some clues on the boy or his surroundings that showed he didn't have a real gun on him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jemner01
If you consider the right to bear arms and by extension the right to defend life and property (laws in many states support both) an endemic, sure.

I think you're confusing endemic with pandemic/epidemic :wink:

It's a tricky issue, because a country as massive as the US has a greater ability to have lawless areas where criminals can work outside of legal influence, so trying to restrict guns won't necessarily work, even if they did it back when the constitution was created. In the UK we have such a low population density we can manage our society with far greater ease.

Regardless, however, any police officer with half a brain would give a 12 year old the benefit of the doubt in that situation, the child isn't capable of letting off an insane burst of deadly fire, especially if dead in the officer's sights. Should have waited to see what the gun was before killing him
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by james22
What are these bullets that don't kill, and how do they neutralise someone? If you are talking about weaker guns with smaller bullets, then those won't stop someone.

People can still fight back even after being shot in the chest sometimes.

That's what I'm saying why can't we research into non killing bullets that can still put a person down momentarily.

Although if this were to happen it should only apply to children. Adults can be shot with proper bullets.
I think you're confusing endemic with pandemic/epidemic :wink:

You're right, I am. :smile:

Ninja-edit: "Regardless, however, any police officer with half a brain would give a 12 year old the benefit of the doubt in that situation, the child isn't capable of letting off an insane burst of deadly fire, especially if dead in the officer's sights. Should have waited to see what the gun was before killing him"

A police officer with half a brain would have done what the two in questioon did. A boy was reported to have a firearm. The boy attempted to brandish the firearm, potentially injuring or killing himself or others. The police shoot the boy in an attempt to prevent any other loss of life. I've re-iterated this maybe 5 times in the last 3 pages, look back for my opinion on it.
(edited 9 years ago)
That's what I'm saying why can't we research into non killing bullets that can still put a person down momentarily.

Although if this were to happen it should only apply to children. Adults can be shot with proper bullets.

Because bullets work fine without having to put millions or even billions of dollars into arbitrary research potentially involving many researchers and resources, only to use them in a statistical minority of incidents.

Well you need an accurate ballistic that can deliver a payload, which already requires a certain velocity, I guess rubber bullets are the closest we have.. unless we tried tranquilizers..

Maybe paintballs that contained a powerful local anaesthetic, but they'd still work too slowly to benefit an actual firefight :lol:
How do they know the child posed any harmful intent?
Reaching for the gun could have been an attempt to hurriedly rid himself of the arm or to show it is fake.
Since when do children always have the state of mind to spell out exactly what they are doing before doing it without being properly asked especially in a stressful/panic situation? More often than not they definitely do not. And that's also why they don't carry real guns around to begin with.

Even if it was a modified BB gun how ridiculous are the public and police for not noticing/realising that the gun is light enough for a young child to freely wave it in the air. They allow the use and ownership of firearms yet can't make the simple deduction that the gun would be carried in struggle by a child if it was genuine.

A responsible society does not need armed civilians.
You're right, I am. :smile:

Ninja-edit: "Regardless, however, any police officer with half a brain would give a 12 year old the benefit of the doubt in that situation, the child isn't capable of letting off an insane burst of deadly fire, especially if dead in the officer's sights. Should have waited to see what the gun was before killing him"

A police officer with half a brain would have done what the two in questioon did. A boy was reported to have a firearm. The boy attempted to brandish the firearm, potentially injuring or killing himself or others. I've re-iterated this maybe 5 times in the last 3 pages, look back for my opinion on it.

But that means they weighed up the chance of a 12 year old:
a) carrying a loaded firearm
b) being able to accurately shoot and kill someone with the firearm in a split second before being gunned down

and decided that that was more likely than him possessing a toy. If they had him in their sights it wouldn't be hard to shoot him if he actually fired off a round.. I believe they should have given the benefit of the doubt in an attempt to save the most lives
Original post by Ki Yung Na
How do they know the child posed any harmful intent?
Reaching for the gun could have been an attempt to hurriedly rid himself of the arm or to show it is fake.
Since when do children always have the state of mind to spell out exactly what they are doing before doing it without being properly asked especially in a stressful/panic situation? More often than not they definitely do not. And that's also why they don't carry real guns around to begin with.

Even if it was a modified BB gun how ridiculous are the public and police for not noticing/realising that the gun is light enough for a young child to freely wave it in the air. They allow the use and ownership of firearms yet can't make the simple deduction that the gun would be carried in struggle by a child if it was genuine.

A responsible society does not need armed civilians.

Unless you live in a place where police are stationed at every street corner, said police make no mistakes ever and the government is always honest and always works in favour of its citizens then a responsible society has every need and should have every right to bear arms.
Tbh I would never let my kid carry a toy gun in a country where the police are routinely armed. The kid probably was reaching for it to put on the ground, or didn't follow instructions properly. Lots of people dither or forget to not do something after they've been told to do something, especially as a child.

This would never happen in the UK because a child would never carry a replica gun in public.

Actually when I was 10 I had a cap gun, looks like the Walther P99 used by James Bond in Tomorrow Never Dies onwards, and I was outside my house while my parents were talking to a neighbour and I waved it around and a passing car tooted me. I could easily have been shot if the conditions of location were different.
But that means they weighed up the chance of a 12 year old:
a) carrying a loaded firearm
b) being able to accurately shoot and kill someone with the firearm in a split second before being gunned down

and decided that that was more likely than him possessing a toy. If they had him in their sights it wouldn't be hard to shoot him if he actually fired off a round.. I believe they should have given the benefit of the doubt in an attempt to save the most lives

This is the US. I understand living in the UK, guns are a rarity but it's not the case in the US. I'm glad for it, you apparently are not. I'm fine with that.
How accurate the boy is has no relevance. How much of a threat he posed to those around him is. The officers came to the conclusion that the boy was a threat to the lives of those around him using what little evidence they had gathered in what little time they had and acted upon it. Unreasonably acted? I would not say so. The outcome is saddening, sure, an unfortunate misunderstanding has cost an innocent life. Should we ban all guns and condemn the police in a knee-jerk reaction? No.
Unless you live in a place where police are stationed at every street corner, said police make no mistakes ever and the government is always honest and always works in favour of its citizens then a responsible society has every need and should have every right to bear arms.

I sure as hell don't; in fact the UK has gun crime too, but we manage to cope. As does many other countries far larger and more difficult to manage - it's an avoidable result even if the situation has been blown out of reason into panic.

I also recognise people make mistakes and the officer seems to have made a horrible one here and I wouldn't put all the blame on him, however I do believe if the officer was in a country where guns are illegal and training/protocols more effective the situation might not have escalated to the point of a child dying.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending