The Student Room Group

help with sorting out which theories agrees or disagree (AS SOCIOLOGY)

Can someone figure out which theories AGREE OR DISAGREE EDUCATION IS A MERITOCRACY:

***PS- I know functionalism agrees education is a meritocracy and marxism disagrees bt i cant figure out the rest****

List of theories:

Marxism
Interactionalism
Functionalism
Feminism
Left Realism

Deprevations

Post Modernism

Ethnicity

Thanx.... 😝 Soz if its too much to ask bt I'm seriously stuck
(edited 9 years ago)
I did this last year and I've forgot half of it haha. Well Marxists basically believe that the working class are being exploited by the ruling class and believe that like WC children arent receiving a good education like the RC and that they're preparing themselves to be exploited, I believe interactionalism is a little like functionalism but this focuses on our behaviour and why such acts are carried out, feminism basically (there's three types here) see the world as patriarchal and the idea of male gaze comes into education and the labelling theory links very much into marxism where for e.g. you're background can determine the way a teacher labels you, the idea of self-fulfilling prophecy etc
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by student0098
Can someone figure out which theories AGREE OR DISAGREE EDUCATION IS A MERITOCRACY:

***PS- I know functionalism agrees education is a meritocracy and marxism disagrees bt i cant figure out the rest****

List of theories:

Marxism
Interactionalism
Functionalism
Feminism
Left Realism

Deprevations

Post Modernism

Ethnicity

Thanx.... 😝 Soz if its too much to ask bt I'm seriously stuck

Agreeing with the above post! Feminism also disagrees that education is meritocratic, you could look at it in the patriarchal view or in that academia is feminine / also collides with gender as to why girls do better at school

Deprivations- I assume you mean material, capital and cultural! Material deprivation doesn't believe that education is meritocratic because the issue states that if you are materially deprived you will never perform high in education! That also links with social class as WC families are usually materially and culturally deprived (not knowing Greek philosophers so failing 11+ tests and put into certain schools- when they were around of course) !

Ethnicity = basically stats show that Afro Caribbean children don't do well in education and basically the view is that education is not meritocratic because if you are not white /wealthy you won't succeed/ gain top grades .. Also links with social class as you find a lot of ethnic minority groups in inner city deprived areas

I don't know much about interactionism, I don know if it's the same but in psychology it means looks at both sides (ie. nature nurture debate)

Sorry if what I have said is iffy in some places been a while since I did this, my exam question in summer was '-assess the view that the education in the UK is meritocratic' :smile:)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending