The Student Room Group

Foundation Doctors - Do you still rely on your parents' money?

Hello all,

I was wondering whether foundation doctors (both F1 and F2) still rely on their parents' money. The reason I'm asking is because after completing medical school I really want to be independent.

I know the cost of living varies in different parts of the UK, but could someone give me the run-down on how it's like living on a foundation doctor's salary? Is it very difficult? How much of your salary goes to taxes, rent, groceries, etc..?

Do you have a significant amount of spending money left over for leisurely purposes (eating out, shopping, buying things you generally like)? Have you had to sacrifice buying something you would have regularly bought if you had the money?

Any help would be really appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
Absolutely not!

As an F1 I was able to pay my own rent, run a car, go on a holiday and buy things I fancied and save up. Of course you need to be able to live within your means it is easily manageable.

To be honest I would be embarrassed if I could not survive without parental contributions on a F1 salary.

Original post by Inglisred
Hello all,

I was wondering whether foundation doctors (both F1 and F2) still rely on their parents' money. The reason I'm asking is because after completing medical school I really want to be independent.

I know the cost of living varies in different parts of the UK, but could someone give me the run-down on how it's like living on a foundation doctor's salary? Is it very difficult? How much of your salary goes to taxes, rent, groceries, etc..?

Do you have a significant amount of spending money left over for leisurely purposes (eating out, shopping, buying things you generally like)? Have you had to sacrifice buying something you would have regularly bought if you had the money?

Reply 2
Original post by Egypt
Absolutely not!

As an F1 I was able to pay my own rent, run a car, go on a holiday and buy things I fancied and save up. Of course you need to be able to live within your means it is easily manageable.

To be honest I would be embarrassed if I could not survive without parental contributions on a F1 salary.

Wonderful!

Um, this may sound rude, but are you a UK citizen? Your username leads me to ask this :smile:

If not, then I'm really interested in your experience as a foundation doctor from another country practicing in the UK. I'm an international student so I was just wondering. Sorry if it's a bit rude :smile:

I meant with a non-UK citizen with a UK medical degree.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Wonderful!

Um, this may sound rude, but are you a UK citizen? Your username leads me to ask this :smile:

If not, then I'm really interested in your experience as a foundation doctor from another country practicing in the UK. I'm an international student so I was just wondering. Sorry if it's a bit rude :smile:

I meant with a non-UK citizen with a UK medical degree.

UK born and bred and trained in London. The username is reference to my time in mixed hockey....!
What?! Even as an fy1 you earn more than the national average wage. My post-tax take home income as an fy1 is literally 3x what I was living on as a student.

You do need to be thinking about saving for a house etc, but that's hardly at the expense of being independent at the grand old age of 24!!!

Your disposable income will be far less if you live in London though obviously.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Hello all,

My FY1 salary (1A banded) was more than either of my parents have ever earned. It would have been ridiculous for me to still ask for money from them.

I managed absolutely fine in London - cleared my overdraft within about 3-4 paycheques and have not been back in it. However, I was living with my boyfriend and splitting rent, bills etc 50:50. It would be challenging to afford to live on your own in London, but in a house share it would easily be manageable. The only thing that may need parental assistance, depending on your finances, is the deposit at the start of your tenancy - but my boyfriend (now husband) was already earning, so he paid that and I gradually paid him back over the next year. Possibly a car if you will need one and don't already have one? But again you can easily pay that back.

Given how poor I was in my last couple of years at uni (got shafted by NHS bursaries and my parents couldn't afford to help me much), FY1 felt like luxury! You won't be able to buy everything right away, but it's plenty for a comfortable lifestyle.
Reply 6
Original post by Helenia
My FY1 salary (1A banded) was more than either of my parents have ever earned. It would have been ridiculous for me to still ask for money from them.

I managed absolutely fine in London - cleared my overdraft within about 3-4 paycheques and have not been back in it. However, I was living with my boyfriend and splitting rent, bills etc 50:50. It would be challenging to afford to live on your own in London, but in a house share it would easily be manageable. The only thing that may need parental assistance, depending on your finances, is the deposit at the start of your tenancy - but my boyfriend (now husband) was already earning, so he paid that and I gradually paid him back over the next year. Possibly a car if you will need one and don't already have one? But again you can easily pay that back.

Given how poor I was in my last couple of years at uni (got shafted by NHS bursaries and my parents couldn't afford to help me much), FY1 felt like luxury! You won't be able to buy everything right away, but it's plenty for a comfortable lifestyle.

Hmm interesting. That's very encouraging, thank you. Im not expecting a high-end lifestyle... just a comfortable one. The prospect of standing on my own two feet is so exciting...
I'm sure lots of you have been asked this before, but I've always wanted to know the numbers (not just being told stuff like "comfortable living" or "you'll be alright") so I'd appreciate any info.

Based on an 'average' banding, how much can an F1 outside London expect to take home after taxes and all? £1,800? or £2,200?
I put average between commas as I know there is no such thing, what I mean is the average banding between 3 four month rotations in a 'typical' foundation programme. In most places in the country you don't do A&E, O&G, or GP as an F1 so let's say 2 medicine and 1 surgery rotation.

Also, if you lived in say Cambridge or Bristol, do you get any extra money compared to an F1 working somewhere up North (owing to the difference in accomodation costs)? Or does that only apply to London?

Cheers!
Reply 8
Original post by The Only Rivo
I'm sure lots of you have been asked this before, but I've always wanted to know the numbers (not just being told stuff like "comfortable living" or "you'll be alright") so I'd appreciate any info.

Based on an 'average' banding, how much can an F1 outside London expect to take home after taxes and all? £1,800? or £2,200?
I put average between commas as I know there is no such thing, what I mean is the average banding between 3 four month rotations in a 'typical' foundation programme. In most places in the country you don't do A&E, O&G, or GP as an F1 so let's say 2 medicine and 1 surgery rotation.

Also, if you lived in say Cambridge or Bristol, do you get any extra money compared to an F1 working somewhere up North (owing to the difference in accomodation costs)? Or does that only apply to London?

Cheers!

My FY1 salary was ~£2100 per month, 1A banded, with London weighting. IIRC, London weighting was about an extra £200 pcm so you would expect a non-London FY1 on the same banding to be getting about £1900 - though this will have gone up a little as I was an FY1 5 years ago now.

Depending on rota tweaking, most medicine or surgery jobs will be 1A or 1B. It is not uncommon at all to have one unbanded rotation, so do bear that in mind for your calculations.

There is no additional pay for anywhere except London.

Cheers!

Anyone who needs parental financial input in FY1 is obviously pretty terrible with money. It's a very comfortable wage.

I'm paying £500 a month in private loan repayments (PDL for tuition fees), as well as all the other costs (rent, food, bills etc) and i still live very comfortably. The only difference between me and others is that i'm not clearing my overdraft as quickly as a result.

As for actual pay, if you're 1B banded you'll get about ~£1850 a month after tax, just over £2000 on 1A. It's unusual to be on any of the other bandings.

Cheers!

So this year I've got 2 1A banded jobs and an unbanded job. My gross salary is 30,168. After income tax (4,390), national insurance (2,700), student loan repayments (1,242) and pension contributions (1,450) my take-home is 20,386 in a year, or 1,700 per month.
My only warning would be if you have an unbanded job and have been used to a banded job.

As an F2 unbanded I'm earning a big chunk less than I was as a banded F1. It will be ok soon enough once I start my 1A banded jobs but just something to bear in mind - I'm struggling at the moment!
Reply 12
Something I never really thought about, does banding follow you through to higher training? Are you constantly living your life with fluxes of wages from one rotation to the next, or does it become a bit more constant when you're a reg?
Well banding continues into senior training for paeds at least, not sure about other specialties....so yeah I'll be looking forward to those fluctuations in income when I'm ST6, ST7,ST8....
Original post by Smile88egc
Well banding continues into senior training for paeds at least, not sure about other specialties....so yeah I'll be looking forward to those fluctuations in income when I'm ST6, ST7,ST8....

Banding is a part of the trainee contract unless it gets renegotiated. You are on the trainee contract until you reach your CCT, although AFAIK senior fellows are often paid according to the same payscale.
Reply 15
I stopped relying on my parents for money when I was about 15 but thats a bit extreme I appreciate. You will not struggle financially as an F1 unless you were bankrolled through uni and that suddenly drops off.

And unbanded jobs can be tough to manage financially. My last F2 job was unbanded and at the time I hadn't applied for specialty training so was gearing up for months of struggling. I did some A&E locums to balance things out but it was still a massive drop as I got less than I did as an F1 plus I was in central London.

Waiting with baited breath to see what the government does to **** up our training contracts in the next year or two...
Reply 16
Hello! Im Colombian and im finishing my career in medicine here, right now im in my year of practice, so the idea is that i can go next year to England, i've been reading about what i need to continue my studies in there, but i haven't found information enough, i know i must take the PLAB test, now i want to know whats next?
1. I must do 2 foundation years? do i get paid?
2. How hard i would be for me as Colombian? is it almost impossible?
3. For gynaecology how's the process after the foundation years? How many years i takes?

Sorry if is too much but i would be so glad if anyone can help me, i really need this information to start making some decisions
Original post by Mdaza
Hello! Im Colombian and im finishing my career in medicine here, right now im in my year of practice, so the idea is that i can go next year to England, i've been reading about what i need to continue my studies in there, but i haven't found information enough, i know i must take the PLAB test, now i want to know whats next?
1. I must do 2 foundation years? do i get paid?
2. How hard i would be for me as Colombian? is it almost impossible?
3. For gynaecology how's the process after the foundation years? How many years i takes?

Sorry if is too much but i would be so glad if anyone can help me, i really need this information to start making some decisions

I'm still a student but I hope this helps:
1. I'm not sure you would be eligible to apply for the 2 year FP, you really need to have a look on the FP website and read under the Eligibility section. http://www.foundationprogramme.nhs.uk/pages/home/how-to-apply/FP2017-Eligibility-Information (I hope it's the right link). You should probably check with the GMC to find out if/how to obtain provisional registration but as an international graduate you'll probably have to take the PLAB exam!

2. You might be at a disadvantage as an international graduate, I wouldn't say it would be impossible.

3. You would normally apply for Obs & Ginae entry at ST1 level so after completing FP. It's 7 years run-through and you can find plenty of info on the Royal College of Obstetrics and Gynaecologists https://www.rcog.org.uk/en/careers-training/considering-a-career-in-og/careers-prospectus/speciality-training-in-og/
Reply 18
Original post by panda1093
I'm still a student but I hope this helps:
1. I'm not sure you would be eligible to apply for the 2 year FP, you really need to have a look on the FP website and read under the Eligibility section. http://www.foundationprogramme.nhs.uk/pages/home/how-to-apply/FP2017-Eligibility-Information (I hope it's the right link). You should probably check with the GMC to find out if/how to obtain provisional registration but as an international graduate you'll probably have to take the PLAB exam!

2. You might be at a disadvantage as an international graduate, I wouldn't say it would be impossible.

3. You would normally apply for Obs & Ginae entry at ST1 level so after completing FP. It's 7 years run-through and you can find plenty of info on the Royal College of Obstetrics and Gynaecologists https://www.rcog.org.uk/en/careers-training/considering-a-career-in-og/careers-prospectus/speciality-training-in-og/

Thank you very much for the information! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending