The Student Room Group

Uni decision reply in under a day????

Hi, I'm quite shocked right now. Last night I submitted my UCAS application to 4 courses, 3 of which were in the same uni, and the other course in a different uni. I woke up this morning to a welcome e-mail from UCAS, and then a welcome e-mail from each Uni.

Literally right now I've just got an e-mail saying something has changed in track, so I go on to see what it is, and 2 of the courses from the same uni have replied with unsuccessful. I am so shocked, I'm not even sure what to make of this.

There was a message above saying that it may be because I was unsuccessful, or withdrew, or because the course was full. But surely if the course was full wouldn't it say "full" instead of "unsuccessful"? and either way how can they have come to that conclusion so quickly? I have the grades required for the course, I've already met the conditions. I've been to Uni before and had dropped out to do something else, so I also have the experience. I really don't know what to think.

Considering the one other course is for a Uni which has an even higher reputation, it's even more unlikely that I will get a place in that one.

The two courses I seemed to automatically get unsuccessful from were also similar, so I'm not sure what that means.

Can someone help? I'm really confused. :confused:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by missheisenberg
x

Unfortunately you can only apply for maximum 2 courses at one specific uni.

That counts as 2 places out of 5 on your UCAS.
Original post by Anonynmous

That's weird because I never got any error notification from UCAS, but either way I don't understand why they would automatically make me unsuccessful from two courses, why they picked those specific ones out of the 3 in the same uni.

Surely if it was a matter because I entered too many courses from the same university, shouldn't UCAS send me an error message or the university saying that I must withdraw from one of them of my own choice, before they consider me?

Can someone help? I'm really confused. :confused:

You don't say what the courses you applied for were. It may be that the university saw you applying for several completely different courses and thought you weren't demonstrating sufficient enthusiasm for one particular subject.

This is complete rubbish.
Original post by Good bloke
You don't say what the courses you applied for were. It may be that the university saw you applying for several completely different courses and thought you weren't demonstrating sufficient enthusiasm for one particular subject.

How? I was told this by my careers advisor.

Elaborate?

The courses I applied for were all language related. The 3 courses in the same uni included: English, Languages and Intercultural Communication, and International Business Languages.

The two unsuccessful I got were the Languages and intercultural, and the international business languages. Both of which actually, I thought I would be most likely to get because I've always got top grades for my foreign languages and I'm fluent in other languages. English itself is my second language, though I was raised here. And in regards to my other grades, I meet all of their requirements.

Whether after consideration they decided to not take me on afterall, that'd be fine, but to be automatically unsuccessful within a day confuses me. I don't think it was a totally random pick that I'd be unsuitable for.
(edited 9 years ago)
How? I was told this by my careers advisor.

Elaborate?

Your careers advisor clearly knows nothing about the UCAS system; you can apply for five courses at one university if you wish, though this is not necessarily a sensible thing to do.
I don't think it was a totally random pick that I'd be unsuitable for.

I suggest you call the university department on Monday and discuss the situation. The extraordinarily fast rejections could be a procedural error.
Your careers advisor clearly knows nothing about the UCAS system; you can apply for five courses at one university if you wish, though this is not necessarily a sensible thing to do.

I understand. Thanks.
If you apply for two courses within the same department at the same uni, then when you get offered a place for one course, you'll automatically be rejected from the other. My friend is applying for international business and international business with a language and was told that only one of those courses would give her a place. However, apparently if she would rather the other course, she can ring up and swap it or something :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Phoebe♥
If you apply for two courses within the same department at the same uni, then when you get offered a place for one course, you'll automatically be rejected from the other. My friend is applying for international business and international business with a language and was told that only one of those courses would give her a place. However, apparently if she would rather the other course, she can ring up and swap it or something :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

But OP didn't get an offer from the other course. Hopefully they will though.
Reply 11
Some unis don't like you applying to multiple courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The courses I applied for were all language related. The 3 courses in the same uni included: English, Languages and Intercultural Communication, and International Business Languages.

The two unsuccessful I got were the Languages and intercultural, and the international business languages. Both of which actually, I thought I would be most likely to get because I've always got top grades for my foreign languages and I'm fluent in other languages. English itself is my second language, though I was raised here. And in regards to my other grades, I meet all of their requirements.

Whether after consideration they decided to not take me on afterall, that'd be fine, but to be automatically unsuccessful within a day confuses me. I don't think it was a totally random pick that I'd be unsuitable for.

Whilst I can't of course be sure why you got the rejections, there are quite significant differences between the courses you applied for, especially English and the two with Languages so its possible you just weren't able to demonstrate enthusiasm for the courses in one personal statement.
Original post by jelly1000
Whilst I can't of course be sure why you got the rejections, there are quite significant differences between the courses you applied for, especially English and the two with Languages so its possible you just weren't able to demonstrate enthusiasm for the courses in one personal statement.

That'd be fair enough, but I'm surprised it was bad enough for them that the decision was made within 5 hours of my application being sent in. So it really confused me. But regardless, I think I am going to call them and ask why. If anything, my personal statement was more strongly focused on foreign languages, than English, since 3/4 courses I picked were foreign language related. English was just an extra I threw in there.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Juno
Some unis don't like you applying to multiple courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's really strange. As far as I am aware, I read on UCAS that the university doesn't find out what other courses you applied to until you hear back from every choice.
That's really strange. As far as I am aware, I read on UCAS that the university doesn't find out what other courses you applied to until you hear back from every choice.

"Universities don’t know where else you have applied; the form that each university receives only includes information about the course/s you have applied for at that institution. If you have applied for two courses at the same university then they will know which two courses, but they won’t know where else you have applied."
- taken from http://www.umass.manchester.ac.uk/applying-to-university/ucas/

If this is so, and because yours is potentially an "auto-rejection", given the speed of the response, then perhaps English was treated as your "first" application to that university, and the other two were then rejected automatically?

It might be an idea to have a look more carefully at the website of the university (the one where you applied for three courses) to check their general policies on applications, and, as good bloke says, ring them to understand what happened and what you can do now.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16
OP you're not applying for engineering with music and English a-levels are you? That would be automatic rejection

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
applied wednesday
unconditional from uni A on thursday
unconditional for criminology from B on friday
rejection for criminology and security studies from B on friday

wot
they're basically the same thing how did i get accepted for one and not the other
unless it's -because- they're basically exactly the same thing; i think they share almost if not all of the same first year modules so that could be it

EDIT: Nevermind, just read this vv
Original post by Phoebe♥
If you apply for two courses within the same department at the same uni, then when you get offered a place for one course, you'll automatically be rejected from the other. My friend is applying for international business and international business with a language and was told that only one of those courses would give her a place. However, apparently if she would rather the other course, she can ring up and swap it or something
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Phoebe♥

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is rubbish. My brother applied for two variations on International Relations at Aberystwyth and got 2 offers from them 4 days later.
Reply 19
Original post by rhiannon277
That is rubbish. My brother applied for two variations on International Relations at Aberystwyth and got 2 offers from them 4 days later.

i believe it's done on a per-uni basis, then.

i applied for two similar things at Staffordshire a couple years back and got them both - figured the rules had changed since then or something.

it's probably just at the discretion of the university themselves.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending