The Student Room Group

Extraordinary situation! And how to deal with Sixth Form when you're foregin.

Hello. I just moved to England from Russia! (2 days ago literally) I'm half French and half Russian so basically I know English since I could talk but it's not my first language, of course.

So in my home country I was home schooled in English but in Russian kind of way. I have to choose Sixth Form right now! I have like 1-3 months left and it depends on school, as you know. I get really confused after I saw online and now I'm in total shock literally so! I was home schooled and I don't have grades that could apply as being international student, but I'm not, we just moved so it's changing everything. So I'm afraid any Sixth Form is not going to take me! Because I don't have grades from my country that apply, like I said before and now living here, I'm consierded as "British" (didn't know how to explain it so I hope you know what I mean) they're going to say no because I don't have GCSE! So it's possible that Sixth Form is going to take me? Or like I just saw online only choice for me is College?! We didn't thought about moving here and I supoosed to apply as international student to boarding school and we knew everything but my parents decided and it was kind of impulse and we did it! We moved here and now I seriously have no idea! Please, explain someone to me how's like with State School and are they going to take me if I don't have grades? I don't know if they're going to understand the issue! I'm very nervous because it's all new for me. Money is not an issue, but I don't want to go to the Private School or Boarding School when I'm already here because I'm afraid I'm going to be treated like sh*t or so because of my accent etc!

Also if you know any good state schools in London that would take person with situation like mine and first of all, IF IT'S POSSIBLE and if so please explain!

Thank you so much for help and I'm aware of my mistakes but it's 4am right now and I'm clearly freaking out and can't sleep because of it.
Reply 1
It does not necessarily matter if you have not taken GCSEs. In Russia I am sure you have or will be taking GCSE equivalents. These are qualifications that are of the same standard. It should be fine as long as these have prepared you enough for A-Levels - although it's best to get an official perspective on this.

Based on the way you've expressed yourself in the paragraphs, it seems that you are struggling. You will probably need to take an English Language test to make sure you can keep up with the demands of the taught courses. If you're taking Science subjects at A-level this probably won't be much of a problem because they're less writing intensive.

Basically, get an official perspective on this.
Reply 2
Thank you so much! I was just confused because different people say different things and I just saw something online and basically had different plan from the beginning and we just moved in so I guess it's stress. So basically I had high standards education in Russia and I'm sure there will be no problems and I'm prepared for everything but I have little issue with language anyway, it's actually interesting because in my country you have like 15 subjects and I'm not kidding, it's standard tho! Okay to the point so you're saying they should take me no matter what? Like I deserve education or so and Sixth Form in this case too. So I should apply, let them know about my situation and they should take me if places are avalible! And yes, I was thinking of professional thing but it was kind of different move, just wanted to know something at least and asap. So where I should look? Russian emba? Or there's some kind of help? It's really uncomfortable but I guess it's what beginnings look like! I still didn't talk with my parents propely about this and I told them I will let them know about everything as soon as I sort this out! That would be good if you can tell me what kind of help and where. Also do you think I need English lessons? I want to take accent lessons anyway! And you're saying they're going to say they want sort of proof my English is good enough for courses I want to take? Didn't know if it's really needed as I knew some people and read some cases and they don't really want it. Thank you and I hope you can answer my questions! x
Reply 3
Original post by 105263
It does not necessarily matter if you have not taken GCSEs. In Russia I am sure you have or will be taking GCSE equivalents. These are qualifications that are of the same standard. It should be fine as long as these have prepared you enough for A-Levels - although it's best to get an official perspective on this.

Based on the way you've expressed yourself in the paragraphs, it seems that you are struggling. You will probably need to take an English Language test to make sure you can keep up with the demands of the taught courses. If you're taking Science subjects at A-level this probably won't be much of a problem because they're less writing intensive.

Basically, get an official perspective on this.

So if I apply to few Sixth Forms whenever online or no and then I will explain to them that I just moved etc of requied and they will be okay with everything then they should just take me if they have places avalible? I guess so! Okay, now I guess it's kind of clear for me. So you think I should just apply like I said? I guess it's what I have to do and basically sort out everything with schools! But I'm just afraid that if I apply and stuff they're not going to know about my case till interview and then as requested bring letter from teachers or/and other things and I'm not going to have it so I will have to explain everything to them and yeeeeah. So I think I should just let them know at the beginning and get to know my possibilities! And probably take some English lessons till interviews so I will be more confident! I'm just afraid it's not enough time and something is not going to work out but it's like not possible since I heard I have to get the education anyway... But I just don't want to end up at College after all of this! Anyway, thank you!
Reply 4
Original post by bae
So if I apply to few Sixth Forms whenever online or no and then I will explain to them that I just moved etc of requied and they will be okay with everything then they should just take me if they have places avalible? I guess so! Okay, now I guess it's kind of clear for me. So you think I should just apply like I said? I guess it's what I have to do and basically sort out everything with schools! But I'm just afraid that if I apply and stuff they're not going to know about my case till interview and then as requested bring letter from teachers or/and other things and I'm not going to have it so I will have to explain everything to them and yeeeeah. So I think I should just let them know at the beginning and get to know my possibilities! And probably take some English lessons till interviews so I will be more confident! I'm just afraid it's not enough time and something is not going to work out but it's like not possible since I heard I have to get the education anyway... But I just don't want to end up at College after all of this! Anyway, thank you!

I'm sure you will be fine.

As you have said, make sure to practice your English so that you feel more confident when speaking it. Some may not want proof of English, but some will and so it's completely circumstantial.

As for your Russian Qualifications, as long as they are of an equivalent standard to the UK GCSE then there is no reason why it would not be accepted. Many people like yourself move to the UK for college and so the Schools you apply too would be familiar with the process. It's a lot of stress if you don't speak to someone about it. If you don't want to speak to your parents that is fine, but it might be worth emailing the perspective schools you wish to apply to, inform them and see what they say.

I would definitely apply. You have as much chance as anyone else, but you also sound very passionate, so the best of luck to you.
Contact sixth forms and explain your situation. They may ask you to take English and Maths GCSE alongside A-levels, but otherwise you should be fine.
Reply 6
Thank you guys! This is what I thought I should do but I was quite confused because we just moved in and it wasn't my plan so I didn't know a lot about it and I was in total rush so yeah! This is what I am going to do!

Quick Reply

Latest