The Student Room Group

Thinking about doing an LLM at Trinity College Dublin, anyone know what its like?

The title says it all really. I'm thinking about applying to do an LLM at Trinity College Dublin and was wondering if anyone had done one or had any thoughts about postgraduate study at TCD or even about TCD in general.

I got into Helsinki and Edinburgh for masters in law last year but turned both down for financial reasons and am now working to save up for a masters/clean up my credit record and take out a loan :tongue:
Anyway I'm considering TCD as an alternative to both of them but their website isn't exactly the most illuminating hence the thread.

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated!
Original post by TradLawyer
The title says it all really. I'm thinking about applying to do an LLM at Trinity College Dublin and was wondering if anyone had done one or had any thoughts about postgraduate study at TCD or even about TCD in general.

I got into Helsinki and Edinburgh for masters in law last year but turned both down for financial reasons and am now working to save up for a masters/clean up my credit record and take out a loan :tongue:
Anyway I'm considering TCD as an alternative to both of them but their website isn't exactly the most illuminating hence the thread.

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated!

I have friends who did undergrad in TCD or who are currently postgrads, but neither of them in Law, rather in History and Classics. However, I've visited and it seems like a really great uni: it's a fantastic location, right in the centre of Dublin with lots of shops, bars,pubs, restaurants etc. etc. The library resources are excellent too, as they have a copyright library, so one copy of everything published in UK and Ireland in the past 200 years is in there. The law department has a good reputation too, I think (on a tour it was mentioned that it's the course (the law BA, that is) all aspiring politicains take, Ireland's equivalent of Oxbridge PPE). As for student life/societies etc., I imagine like most places it's what you make of it. I was in the student bar though, the Pav, and it's great fun!

The downside is the cost. Dublin is expensive. Not quite the same level as London, but not far off either. I imagine that both Edinburgh and Helsinki would work out cheaper once living costs are factored in, which could be an important factor given that you're self-funding.
Reply 2
Original post by ellie.rew
I have friends who did undergrad in TCD or who are currently postgrads, but neither of them in Law, rather in History and Classics. However, I've visited and it seems like a really great uni: it's a fantastic location, right in the centre of Dublin with lots of shops, bars,pubs, restaurants etc. etc. The library resources are excellent too, as they have a copyright library, so one copy of everything published in UK and Ireland in the past 200 years is in there. The law department has a good reputation too, I think (on a tour it was mentioned that it's the course (the law BA, that is) all aspiring politicains take, Ireland's equivalent of Oxbridge PPE). As for student life/societies etc., I imagine like most places it's what you make of it. I was in the student bar though, the Pav, and it's great fun!

The downside is the cost. Dublin is expensive. Not quite the same level as London, but not far off either. I imagine that both Edinburgh and Helsinki would work out cheaper once living costs are factored in, which could be an important factor given that you're self-funding.

Thanks, that's pretty helpful!
Reply 3
As someone over on LLM guide message me and asked for info on this and I'm thinking about it anew I thought I would bump the thread in case anyone else wanted to chip in!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending