The Student Room Group

Keeping getting homesick and getting upset...

So it's my third month at University (5 hours from home) and I'm still getting homesick. Not all the time, just 2/3 nights a week where I start thinking of home and my family and then start getting upset.

The problem is, my parents are divorced and live on their own, I spent alternating weeks at each parents house so I saw them a lot and they kind of relied on me for company.

I keep getting this feeling of extreme guilt that I've left both my parents on their own and I feel totally responsible for it for choosing a University so far away from home. I don't think it would be as bad if they were both re-married or had people living in the house with them but they're both totally on their own since I left.

I don't know what to do, I've been googleing what happens if I drop out etc... and I just can't stop getting upset these few times a week. I'm loving University and my flatmates/coursemates but I just miss home and my family so much still.

Is this unusual to still be homesick after this long?

I'm going back for Christmas and I'll be back for almost a month, so when I leave for Uni again I think I'm going to take it really badly and be upset and homesick even more...

What is wrong with me and how can I move past these feelings of guilt and homesickness??
I used to get like this alot - especially when I felt like a failure such as getting a bad grade on a essay or exam - i missed college though to be honest then family so different to ur situation - my advice would be to give yourself a break - its not ur fault ur parents are divorced - that was their decision - u need to realise that u need to have ur own life too!!!! Otherwise ur gonna regret it! I know this is easier said then done but seriously - take control of your life! - this is ur time to shine!!!! Sorry if this doesn't help, hope u feel better!

PS - im in third year and i still get homesick/miss college a lot! But I try and focus my mind on my goals/future and where I want to be!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
I talk to my parents everyday either of the phone or on skype and it really helps with any homesickness

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonn123
So it's my third month at University (5 hours from home) and I'm still getting homesick. Not all the time, just 2/3 nights a week where I start thinking of home and my family and then start getting upset.

The problem is, my parents are divorced and live on their own, I spent alternating weeks at each parents house so I saw them a lot and they kind of relied on me for company.

I keep getting this feeling of extreme guilt that I've left both my parents on their own and I feel totally responsible for it for choosing a University so far away from home. I don't think it would be as bad if they were both re-married or had people living in the house with them but they're both totally on their own since I left.

I don't know what to do, I've been googleing what happens if I drop out etc... and I just can't stop getting upset these few times a week. I'm loving University and my flatmates/coursemates but I just miss home and my family so much still.

Is this unusual to still be homesick after this long?

I'm going back for Christmas and I'll be back for almost a month, so when I leave for Uni again I think I'm going to take it really badly and be upset and homesick even more...

What is wrong with me and how can I move past these feelings of guilt and homesickness??

Yeah homesickness is a killer You do say that you love university and that is something.

the distance is quite possibly the problem or maybe the fact that you feel like you abandoned them I know you've probably got this but why not get skype that way you can talk to them when you want to and can make sure they're and if you feel really bad there is nothing to stop you visiting at the weekend or them visiting you.
Reply 4
Hey man,
I'm in a slightly different positon to you in that I go to a boarding school 5,000 miles away from home and my parents are not divorced.
Buttt, the first year I was here I was very homesick, even though I spoke to my parents all the time over skype and the phone. The way I got over it was to think of what had to be done at school and concentrate on the here and the now, knowing I would see them soon (I was never away for more than 2 months at a time). This is my second year and I'm hardly ever homesick. Since you live 5 hours away, can't you go visit them some weekends? So my advice is, focus on your work and friends and on the present. It took me a year to stop being homesick so no, I don't think that's strange at all.
Hope this helps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending