The Student Room Group

Ucas entry requirement help

Hi I've just received a conditional offer from Bristol for history subject to me meeting the conditions AAB. Yet I know that the entry requirements for this course are A*AA? I don't get it!! The contextual offer is AAB but I don't have any bad circumstances unless being on bursary counts but none of my other offers are lower than normal?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would say your personal statement and predicted grades are good enough for them to want you! Give them a call tomorrow if you're confused?
Also, did you get this offer this late? I would've thought offers were given sort of office times 9-5 etc! Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Can they do that? I didn't know unis did that! And I got it during the day haha only just seen it though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well they know their requirements and your predicted grades so?
A lot of unis put high requirements to separate the weak from the strong so only the best of the best apply!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Pkez1234
Can they do that? I didn't know unis did that! And I got it during the day haha only just seen it though

Posted from TSR Mobile

I realise you already have the response you need. However, I just wanted to say universities can and do accept lower grades. After all it is up to them and they can do whatever they want! If you are super impressive, grades are less important.
Entry requirements are often to make the unis look better to prospective students and others. The reality is you can get offered or accepted for much lower grades than their asking grades for many unis like Bristol. That or they really, really liked you. Or both- I like to think it was both. Congrats on the offer btw! :biggrin:
Reply 6
Hi I've just received a conditional offer from Bristol for history subject to me meeting the conditions AAB. Yet I know that the entry requirements for this course are A*AA? I don't get it!! The contextual offer is AAB but I don't have any bad circumstances unless being on bursary counts but none of my other offers are lower than normal?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I read something on TSR about this..unis tend to set higher entry requirements just to cut down the list of people applying to the course. Say they set the boundaries at ABB many more people would apply compared to A*AA - it doesn't necerssarily mean you HAVE to get these grades. But if you got an offer with those conditions, then be proud of yourself - they must have liked your application! good job! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bristol along with Exeter make contextual offers based on whether your school's a level results are in the bottom 40%. This is probably the reason for your lower offer. Pease see the attached link. You will probably find your school is listed. http://www.bristol.ac.uk/media-library/sites/study/undergraduate/documents/contextual-offer-schools.pdf
Reply 8
Thanks everyone! And my school isn't in bottom 40%

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks everyone! And my school isn't in bottom 40%

Posted from TSR Mobile

They can offer you what they like, and they decided to offer you a lower offer. Enjoy it.
Reply 10
Original post by swanseajack1
Bristol along with Exeter make contextual offers based on whether your school's a level results are in the bottom 40%. This is probably the reason for your lower offer. Pease see the attached link. You will probably find your school is listed. http://www.bristol.ac.uk/media-library/sites/study/undergraduate/documents/contextual-offer-schools.pdf

Ok so my school is on this list but it's a good school???

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got low end offers from Exeter and thought my school might be on the list, but it isn't. However I had loads of relevant extracurricular experience (for marine biology) and my teachers gave an excellent reference and said I had a perfect personal statement, so I like to think that's the reason.
Reply 12

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is so lucky haha! Maybe you had a really good personal statement or they only SAY they want A*AA on their site, so that they don't get a lot of bad applicants, and then they accept you if they think you seem good enough.

Or maybe they're not getting a lot of applicants this year?

Either way, that is super lucky! I know some people who have conditional offers higher than what the unis said on the official site... :/

Well done!

Sedbergh's on that list and its £30K a year.
Reply 14
Original post by nulli tertius
Sedbergh's on that list and its £30K a year.

Hmmm weird oh well I'm not complaining hahah

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending