The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Extra curricular activities for Economics/PPE at LSE

Hello Everyone!

I am interested in applying for PPE or economics I'm taking maths, further maths, economics and history as an AS level. I got 10 A* and 3 As for my GCSEs.

I have begun reading relevant books, starting with 5 dialogues by Plato, Pre-Socratic Philosophers by GS Kirk and I deved into Aristotle's ethics. I am currently reading the logic manual by Volker Halbach and The Wealth of Nations.

I am aware that reading is important for having a chance at PPE/Economics at LSE but also I would like to know what activities/courses I can do to help my application?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by JoeBOP
Hello Everyone!

I am interested in applying for PPE or economics I'm taking maths, further maths, economics and history as an AS level. I got 10 A* and 3 As for my GCSEs.

I have begun reading relevant books, starting with 5 dialogues by Plato, Pre-Socratic Philosophers by GS Kirk and I deved into Aristotle's ethics. I am currently reading the logic manual by Volker Halbach and The Wealth of Nations.

I am aware that reading is important for having a chance at PPE/Economics at LSE but also I would like to know what activities/courses I can do to help my application?

Thanks

You will study Ancient Philosophy at LSE only within a few modules and only in insignificant amounts. Instead of Plato and Presocratics, I therefore would read Popper, Kuhn, Russell, Frege, and other 20th century analytic philosophers that degrees at LSE are geared towards.

Regarding extra-curricular activities: Look into philosophy/politics/economics essay competitions. There are many. Also, do a work experience in a bank maybe? A relevant summer school would be nice. And completing an online open course would help too. You could even start a blog, discussing contemporary philosophical, political, or economic issues. There are so many options. You just got to show that you are passionate about the subject(s). Good luck & I hope this is of help!
(edited 9 years ago)
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending