The Student Room Group
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website

What is Ex-RAF Accommodation Like?

Still enduring this accommodation battle with the housing department. They offered me Ex- RAF last week, not sure whether to take it. Disregarding the fact that its a pretty desperate situation, what are the Ex-RAF flats like? I've heard generally bad things about them. I've been told that if I take it, then Im off the list for on-site housing; is it worth the risk, considering they don't know when they will have available spaces? Mind you, Im still on their case regarding the on-ste accom, Im just trying to broaden my choices. Im asking cus I don't want to say yes and end up living in a ****hole.

BTW, has anyone had any success/progress with thier accomm situation?

Responses will be appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
im in the same situation as you mate, but at least you've been offered a place, all i've been offered was advise to seek for alternative accomodation! the cheek! but i refused so i guess im still on the waiting list, but they told me it could take up until xmas! what is ex-raf accomodation? never heard of it =S
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website
Reply 2
hbk
OP
LL1988
im in the same situation as you mate, but at least you've been offered a place, all i've been offered was advise to seek for alternative accomodation! the cheek! but i refused so i guess im still on the waiting list, but they told me it could take up until xmas! what is ex-raf accomodation? never heard of it =S

It was your post bout them potentially not having spaces till Xmas that has me thinkin bout goin Ex-RAF. Ex-RAF is former army (or sumthin like that) flats that the uni purchased and use as extra accom. Its all standard rooms, no ensuite and is apparenlty a bit grotty/generally not as nice as the campus accom. Its a 20min walk from the uni, it takes two short bus trips if you want to catch bus. Apparently mainly 2nd years live there, but there'd been a large influx of 1st year Clearing students, as they seem to have only offered it to Clearing so that they can half the waiting list for campus accom and make it more managable for allocation of mainstream/those remaining on waiting list. I thought maybe I should wait seeing as most will be so desperate that they will take the RAF, but having spoken to someone in a position of seniority there today, it seems they genuinely don't know when they will have accom, as all unclaimed accom is gone and all that has been coming through is those who feel uni is not for them and left.

I can just about lookover the fact that they are all Standard rooms, but their site says something dodgy bout the internet connection, something like it has the 'potential' to go on the net with some additional hardware...im thinkin wtf? Anyone know if you can get the net there...its funny cus that will likely be a deciding factor, although I'm still gonna try and hold out for on-campus accom.
Reply 3
same here they offerd me that EX RAF.
Reply 4
I just chcked the price, bro can you give add me to your msn, me, you and someone else can go togather we can stay there for £84 a week which is awesome.

please reply as soon as possiable, otherwise we might lose out on EX RAF.
hbk
. Ex-RAF is former army (or sumthin like that) flats.

Ex-RAF is, believe it or not....flats that used to house RAF people, it has absolutely nothing to so with the army whatsoever!
Reply 6
air force army is the same thing LOL. you know what he meant, military personal basically.
it isn't the same thing, they are completely separate, I did some work experience with the army, and they beat the **** out of eachother, the RAf, Army, and Navy/Marines.
Its all armed forces, does it really matter which division. Everyone knows Navy accomodation is the best anyway :p:

As far as I am aware, they are not ordinary standard rooms, but are actually shared appartments with a kitchen and 3 rooms. They're not ensuit but you do get a bath/shower. See here.

You are exempt from bills. You cannot access to Resnet (Brunel Network) which is arguably a good thing since you have to endure filters, censorship and acceptable use policies as well as getting a working landline for telephone. You can also get a washing machine.
Reply 9
ex-RAF isnt too bad i know a few ppl living there :smile:
Reply 10
DAMn it, they said its also been taken.
Reply 11
what the?!?! now the RAF accomodation is full? what a joke lol
Reply 12
yeah, i spoke to the lady apperntly there is a waiting list for RAF wtf
Reply 13
if theres a waiting list for RAF accomodation, doesnt that means theres is like NO CHANCE we're gona get on campus accomodation?!?!?!?
Reply 14
no, if you were on the waiting list you would be ahead of the rest.. the moment someone leaves the accommadation you get your place there.
but would you be on the on-campus waiting list and the RAf ones a the same time?
Reply 16
you can be on both, but which ever one becomes avaliable first you would get that and you cant change.
Reply 17
I don't know why they don't just put you in isambard for the short term while it's just standing empty. You're missing the real experience of 1st year and I wouldn't have it at all.
Reply 18
i was put in isambard for the first 2 weeks, but they have started demolition now!
Reply 19
Ex-RAF rock! They not on-campus so it means a 20 min walk to lectures, which can be annoying for those 9am starts, but at least you can get a good night's kip when you really need it. Because trust me, when on-campus, those times you really need a good nights sleep is the exact same night someone down the hall is throwing a party :wink:. It's called sod's law.

Also, the rooms are pretty big. Room 3 of each flat is twice as big as the other two as it used to be the living room. I'm in room three and it's nearly three times as big as my saltash room last year.

As for the internet: you have to sort it out yourself. That means getting connected to BT (standard line is £11 per month) and then getting broadband from whatever ISP you want. Me and my flatmates are paying £14 a month each, which isn't bad concidering we don't have that pesky uni firewall. The only thing is, the line only has a port in room three, so rooms one and two will need to go wireless, and that means getting a wireless router as well. My flatmates and I bought a £70 belkin wireless modem/router, which is doing the job nicely.

The kitchen is fairely small, but you have to bare in mind that your only sharing it with two other people. So proportionally speaking it's pretty big.

Overall they're pretty good.

Latest

Trending

Trending