The Student Room Group

Taking physics for compsci

When I started my as levels I was taking: Maths, Further Maths, Computing and the extended project. A few weeks ago I decided to take physics as well (doing it in my own time), I am committed to putting as much work into physics as I can, however without a teacher I sometimes feel lost and that I don't know what I need to know for the exam. Is it worth me going through this hassle or would my chances still be good if I were to get top grades in Maths, Further Maths, computing and my extended project? I am really passionate about computer science, my extended project is about the future of quantum cryptography if that helps.

I just think that maybe physics is taking my time away from other subjects especially since I am 8 weeks behind everyone else, and the fact that it generally seems to be a harder subject than the others I am doing. I do plan on applying to the top unis. Thanks for your input.
Original post by Jabberjay_
When I started my as levels I was taking: Maths, Further Maths, Computing and the extended project. A few weeks ago I decided to take physics as well (doing it in my own time), I am committed to putting as much work into physics as I can, however without a teacher I sometimes feel lost and that I don't know what I need to know for the exam. Is it worth me going through this hassle or would my chances still be good if I were to get top grades in Maths, Further Maths, computing and my extended project? I am really passionate about computer science, my extended project is about the future of quantum cryptography if that helps.

I just think that maybe physics is taking my time away from other subjects especially since I am 8 weeks behind everyone else, and the fact that it generally seems to be a harder subject than the others I am doing. I do plan on applying to the top unis. Thanks for your input.

In my experience, I you study mechanics in maths, you will cover most of the first unit of physics anyway(although boards may vary) so it shouldn't be too difficult to self study that unit to catch up, but the second unit will be harder to self study as there is less maths and more learning stuff, so you should join classes if possible

Quick Reply

Latest