The Student Room Group

How many hours should an A-level student work per week?

Is it 20 hours or 48 hours?

Scroll to see replies

At least 2.
Reply 3
Original post by Ilovemaths96

No! That's not true! That's impossible!!
Reply 5
Original post by TrashBoat
Is it 20 hours or 48 hours?

Define 'should' or we are wasting our time.
All of them! we should stop wasting time showering,eating,going for a poo...
Reply 7
This website I s2g
Reply 8
1 hour per subject a week is enough if you revise early
lol why not? If you really want the grades then should be around that number

An hour of sleep a day is more than enough I feel.
Reply 11
Original post by crayolaguy

An hour of sleep a day is more than enough I feel.

totally agree

+ rep
I usually do like 3 hours per subject - gonna do less over the xmas period although I'll compensate by working hard on the last week of the holidays before my mocks. I don't know anyone that does the generic 5 hours per subject per week.
5 hours per subject per week is the usual revision guideline that sixth forms set. I'm in year 11, so would like answers to this question myself.

Original post by blondelocks
I usually do like 3 hours per subject - gonna do less over the xmas period although I'll compensate by working hard on the last week of the holidays before my mocks. I don't know anyone that does the generic 5 hours per subject per week.

Is 3hrs considered a lot to do, and would doing 5hrs as opposed to 3 really make a difference to your final grade?
Reply 14
We were told 4 hours per subject but I probably only do that for maths as I just do loads of past papers and then redo them some time after.
College's usually recommend that the amount of weekly revision for each subject is the same amount of time spent in that lesson in classes a week. I.e. 3 1 1/2 hour lessons a week= 4 1/2 hours revision a week per subject. I found this difficult with 4 subjects but you have quite a lot of free time doing 3 subjects because of free periods etc
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by joddcfc
5 hours per subject per week is the usual revision guideline that sixth forms set. I'm in year 11, so would like answers to this question myself.

Is 3hrs considered a lot to do, and would doing 5hrs as opposed to 3 really make a difference to your final grade?

It's totally subjective: dependent on the individual. You just have to do the amount of work you feel is necessary for yourself. But as I say nobody I know is doing 5 hours per subject per week at this stage. I'm sure though that in the lead up to exams in May - everyone will start doing 5 hours and maybe more a week.
I do 4 so I'd say 3 1/2 hours a night on weekdays and about 5 on Saturday, Sunday should be a day of rest IMO.

so about 22 and a half hours per week.
Original post by AdamCee

I see what you did there. :smug:
I aim for 4h30m per subject per week.

Quick Reply

Latest