The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Lewis-HuStuJCR
Rubbish, 40 cases pw... you don't need that to get a 2:1...

i doubt there are even 40 relevant cases for each topic.

Well for criminal law there probably are. Only the real important and higher court decisions deserve this much attention however i.e. Hol and CoA (Criminal division). There are always those smaller lower court decisions of which you really don't need to know that much more than that one line in which they are referred to in textbooks. Although its always worth making sure I suppose to make sure that , for example, there isn't any interesting dicta that you have missed.

I don't think that you need to know 40 cases per week to get a 2.1. But I don't think that is what fundamentally is claiming. I think s/he is pointing out just how much more work Oxford students have to do to prepare for tutorials than some other universities. It is always better to know more cases than you need, but for reasons of practicality of learning you have to draw a line somewhere and move on to what ever is next.
I don't like the insinuation made in the post that at Oxford you learn it, whereas at others you dont learn it in enough detail to be worthwhile, so I got defensive :wink:.
Fundamentally's point about being humilitated at tutorials for ill-preparedness probably is not without merit either. As the classes are pretty small you can be expected to make your own contribution to each one and respond to questions posed to you. There is so much that can be learnt from other students that have prepared the same work as you. Their style of interpreting the questions could be slightly different, they may have come across some good academic commentary or some other case that distorts the picture even more etc.
For these reasons if you are sat there and haven't done the work you have more chance of getting away with it in a larger class (at another university) than in a smaller class (at Oxford).
For the record, I contribute in all my classes: Lectures (if the lecturer asks questions), seminars and tutorials. :wink: :biggrin:
Well my tutorial groups are 4 people, which I believe is the same size employed at cambridge ... so yeah we get screwed over occasionally lol.

As for lectures, I don;t answer those questions.

Latest

Trending

Trending